why did the dreamcast fail again?

RennisDeynolds

I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds!
Daps
Reppin
Paddys Pub
Sega's 7 years of transgressions preceding it basically doomed the whole console. It sold historically well out the gate but they burned so many bridges with their mishandling of the Saturn that when the PS2 came around, they didn't have the necessary support from third-party developers and retailers to compete. And since Sega was deep in the red (they needed a stimmy from their former president purely out of the goodness of his heart to keep from going bankrupt), it just wasn't feasible to stay in the console business.

Dreamcast actually had superior hardware and specs to the PS2 but PS2 supporting DVDs in a time where DVD players were DUMB expensive was an underrated game changer, too. DC only supported GD-ROMs

dreamcast had cd rom support which is how people were bootlegging all the shyt that came out in real time :deadmanny: one of the sega execs came out recently and said Sony was getting puters puting behind the scenes to kill them off with developers etc and it worked wonders smh

too bad they were WAY ahead of the game, online support for multiplayer, mouse and keyboard support for games, pure dominance in sports games for only $20

capblk

Rookie
Daps
There are multiple reasons why DC failed. From my perspective:
  1. the SEGA brand was damaged at the time of release (People were already saying SEGA was dead before DC launch)
  2. Easy to bootleg games
  3. No DVD player (cheap DVD player made the ps2 the easy choice for casuals right away)
The PS2 hype at the time was insane + DVD support player even pulled in non gamers. From my experience most gamers did not even give it a shot, anytime the Dreamcast was mentioned, the convo quickly turned into what the PS2 was going to do. I know there are other behind the scenes factors but at the time I really could not understand why so many people were passing it up. Just my day to day pov from 1999 - 2001

Frieza666

Roll with the punches
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lower East Side
I was a kid and I was fukking jacked when I got it for ‘99 Xmas. Great system with amazing games you could ONLY play on Dreamcast.

But if failed for a few reasons:
- No DVD drive
- Released in awkward time between N64 & PS2
- Sega took Ls with previous systems
- PS2 being the lurking giant

shyt only lasted 2 years :to:

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
They didn’t have madden.

Was the most popular/important franchise of the time.

Imagine a console launching and not having Fortnight or COD today. It wouldn’t stand a chance.
It didn't matter bro. When Visual Concepts dropped the 2K series with basketball & football, it was an instant game changer. Those games were superior to any other sports games we had up to that point and some people jumped ship. There's many other reasons besides Madden for it failing. Even after the DC died, how many people were playing NFL 2K5 over Madden?

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
It didn't matter bro. When Visual Concepts dropped the 2K series with basketball & football, it was an instant game changer. Those games were superior to any other sports games we had up to that point and some people jumped ship. There's many other reasons besides Madden for it failing. Even after the DC died, how many people were playing NFL 2K5 over Madden?
2K was great to fans, and a better game to most people who played both.

But Madden had hold of the masses. It was literally THE most important game on the market at the time.

Same as fortnight now. There’s plenty of shooters that are better games, but none of them will ever match the popularity/importance of Fortnight.

It was know that Dreamcast would NEVER get EA games from its inception.

shyt was doomed off that fact from the jump.

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY

But Madden had hold of the masses. It was literally THE most important game on the market at the time.

Same as fortnight now. There’s plenty of shooters that are better games, but none of them will ever match the popularity/importance of Fortnight.

I still have to disagree bro. And you never answered my question about NFL 2K5 & Madden lol. Visual Concepts had their foot on EA's necks from the gate till they bought the NFL license. We've seen what happened with NBA 2K & it was about to happen again. The PS2 hype and the DVD gimmick is what put the nail in the coffin. But Sega's past mistakes is really what caused the DC to fail because it caught up to them

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I still have to disagree bro. And you never answered my question about NFL 2K5 & Madden lol. Visual Concepts had their foot on EA's necks from the gate till they bought the NFL license. We've seen what happened with NBA 2K & it was about to happen again. The PS2 hype and the DVD gimmick is what put the nail in the coffin. But Sega's past mistakes is really what caused the DC to fail because it caught up to them
I agreed with you that 2K was the better game. Madden was always the most popular game by far. It was huge. A cultural phenomenon at the time. Even after DC died madden was still huge.

Now answer my question.

A new console gets announced today. Tomorrow the biggest news story about said console in that it WON’T have Fortinght and/or COD.

Do you see a path of success for thh the new console?

Mister Terrific

It’s in the name
Daps
Reppin
Michigan

Exactly this. 2K shytted on Madden gameplay wise but being in middle school at the time you’d get made fun of for playing 2K instead of Madden. Crazy how marketing works

Turlast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Two One Five
This topic hurts because it always reminds me of what could've been.

I loved the Dreamcast. Easily in my top 5 of all-time in terms of consoles. I still remember when I first got it.

The graphics were beautiful. It was the perfect platform for all of the fighting games out at that time. Had great Sports games, RPGs, Horror, and some of my favorite Light Gun (House of the Dead 2) games. The VMU was cool as fukk as well.

Back in those days, I wasn't sure why everyone stopped caring about it so quickly. Seemed like everyone just started talking about PS2 and that was that.