Why Did Rappers Embrace The Mafiaso Rap

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Because they like the extravagant lifestyle and the whole aura around the mafia thing the cigars, champagne, drugs makes for some great storytelling raps. Plus, to some capacity these guys were in that life or had it around them.

Last edited:

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I think it was more about respect. Everyone knows the mafia was racist, and the black gangsters resented Italians...but there was mutual respect among the realest on both sides.

It's like that scene in The Sopranos where Tony mentions some black gangster he respects. He says he's one of the most honorable men he knows but wouldn't let his daughter date his son, just as the black guy wouldn't let his son date Tony's daughter.

Daps
Reppin
The Flyest
220px-ScarfacePacino.jpg

+

goodfellas.jpg

+

The-godfather-part-ii-1974-3e490.jpg

=

220px-Raekwon_only.jpg

:ahh:

King Karim

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't recall said scene in goodfellas, i do remember Stacks but i don't see how that's racism. He got killed like everyone else working the gig did. if they were racist they wouldn't even work with a black man.

after the girls said they would be w/Sammy -- they started clowning the girls about wanting to be with a ni99er. not a ni99a but a ni99er, same with Stacks(samuel) it was all racial dialouge

--- to answer the thread -- rappers embraced the lifestyle in the 90s when a slew of mafia movies were being made in hollywood and were hugely hugely popular and it found it's way in the hiphop world.

Threnody

Superstar
Daps
"Capture your bounty like Elliot Ness, yes
Bless you if you represent the Fu
But I'll hex you with some witch's brew
If you're doo-doo, voodoo
I can do what you do, easy, believe me
Fronting nikkas give me hee-bee-gee-bees
So while you're imitating Al Capone, I'll be Nina Simone
And defecating on your microphone"
- Lauryn Hill

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
It was about what came along with the image.

But Hip Hop embraced all kinds of shyt to attach itself to. When it was cool to be righteous and pro-black, cats did that. When being a ladies man was hot, dudes had all those love songs poppin'. The horror-core thing was try'na get off the ground at one point. Then everyone wanted to be Redman. Music goes through cycles, and most times its vibe is rooted in images.

If the music is dope, I don't care about what the image is. Just so happens that the Mafioso vibe spawned a lot of dope shyt.

Prince Cairo

Authentic
Daps
Reppin
Cairo, Egypt
Regardless of its genesis, mafioso rap really is one of the best sub-genres in all of Hip Hop.

One of the earliest posts summed it up perfectly: the mafia lifestyle is the actualization of most street guys' fantasies. Strong familial bonds, a closed community, steady cash flow, and a damn good sense of style; shyt, I watched The Godfather for the first time as a little kid and wanted to be in the mafia when I grew up. :yeshrug: