Why did black ppl universally agree that Halle Berry was the GOAT black woman in the 90's-00's?

Lil' Kartwheel

The Chicken Box Man
Daps
Reppin
The Bayou City
Jason's lyric jada and low down dirt shame jada is a extremely close second
Don't forget Jada in Woo too.
woo-lg.jpg

Easily the baddest petite female in the 90's and there was plenty competition in that area.

filial_piety

Banned
Daps
Reppin
I95S
Yeah I definitely remember the Summer of 92' (:old:) and after Boomerang came out...all the older Black Men (teens and 20s) kept going on and on about how she was the finest black chick out there. imo She was 3rd finest in the movie after R. Givens and the woman with the hammer toes.

never got the hype.

Thinking back on it, I definitely had more of a crush on Nia Long Jada Pinkett, and Kim Fields back then.

Last edited:

filial_piety

Banned
Daps
Reppin
I95S
Met her in person in 2002 probably the most disappointing experiences I've ever had...bit#h was a straight crackhead....yes even then
Halle fell off imo sometime between 1999- 2002....by then she was old news...i think this is around her Swordfish/Monster's Ball era.

by 2000, I was all about Sanna Lathan and Jlo.

Wear My Dawg's Hat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Land That Time Forgot
Yeah I definitely remember the Summer of 92' (:old:) and after Boomerang came out...all the older Black Men (teens and 20s) kept going on and on about how she was the finest black chick out there. imo She was 3rd finest in the movie after R. Givens and the woman with the hammer toes.

never got the hype.

Thinking back on it, I definitely had more of a crush on Nia Long Jada Pinkett, and Kim Fields back then.

The story goes that Halle auditioned for the sultry and sexy role of "Jacqueline" in Boomerang, but was beat out by Robin Givens.

Halle was then cast as the pretty, "girl next door" type, "Angela."

It was the consensus in my crew at the time that Robin did out-sexy Halle in the film.

I think the producers and directors made the right decision in casting the way that they did.

twhatever

we had joy we had fun we had seasons in the sun
Daps
Halle Berry wasn't overrated. The problem was it was pretty much a prerequisite for black actresses to be light skin or biracial. She was the one who rose above the rest to A list status.
I'm sure there were many dark and brown skin actresses who were just as pretty. They were just never given a fair shot.
It just makes no sense to evaluate who was the prettiest "black" actress when the colorist casting directors have already done most of the work anyway. Just say who was the prettiest light skin or biracial and keep it moving.