Why Did 70's Music Age So Much Better Than 80's Music?

TEH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Tell me you didn't appreciate 80's teen movie New Wave music - 16 Candles, The Breakfast Club, Revenge of the Nerds etc. .... I may post links later ... plus MJ's Thriller, Blondie, the Police, Sting ... not to mention New Edition, Kieth Sweat, Run DMC, Slick Rick, LL Cool J, Nirvana etc ... all came out in the 80's ...

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
fukk outta here. Damn, y'all nikkas tastes in music sucks

Nah, you don't get it. You (like most of the folks in this thread) probably don't make music. Idk why people with no musical talent assume that they know more about making music than the actual artists
Smh you don't know me or what i do. Calm down. I very much get it. Disposable music has no long standing future. :camby:

Ask disco fans

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
By far.

Y'all buggin in this thread calling 80s music trash. The Jimmy & Terry era SOS Band trash to y'all because they dropped live instruments in favor of electronic ones?? Wat?? :hhh:

People hate on the 80s because I believe this is when technology began to replace the "musician". IMO 1985-1995 is probably one of the best stretches of music as it was the perfect blend, after 95 everything became super Sample focused, which wasn't bad per say but many would argue music moved from pure artistry to 100% commercial. Yeah the 80s and early 90s had a ton of 1 hit wonders, but listen to the one hit ones from that period and compare them to the one hit wonders of modern times and I`d argue the quality was still more superior.

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Without the innovations of disco, there'd be no modern black music
I get the transitions in music but that doesn't mean that every form of music is equally as valuable. I know disco was the direct precursor and influence to house and electronic forms of music but it was also disposable. Take the good and bad from it and learn why it directly answers OP's question. Don't make the same mistakes. Disposable music is trendy and great for generating hits in the moment that don't last the test of time. It is fast food to the soul food that is music with substance. Disco shows how to make modern hits... Hook heavy and light on lyrics

Clayton Endicott

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
A lodge of the Saints John of Jerusalem
I agree for the most part, but the synthesizer and 808 and Linn drum machine programming of the early 80s was on point. That sound was futuristic and actually ahead of its time. A lot of mid to late 80s shyt sounded dated and generic until Teddy Riley came through and crushed the buildings.

Prince Mongo

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Ashlar Hall, Memphis
I get the transitions in music but that doesn't mean that every form of music is equally as valuable. I know disco was the direct precursor and influence to house and electronic forms of music but it was also disposable. Take the good and bad from it and learn why it directly answers OP's question. Don't make the same mistakes. Disposable music is trendy and great for generating hits in the moment that don't last the test of time. It is fast food to the soul food that is music with substance. Disco shows how to make modern hits... Hook heavy and light on lyrics
Disco wasn't the only genre with generic, unmemorable songs, and it's a discredit to say that the whole genre doesn't stand the test of time. There's always been music that appeals to the lowest common denominator, and one hit wonders, that didn't start with disco

IllustratorMike

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Native of the NYC, getting fed in the Big D!
Cameo was trash, though.
tumblr_n958d4NJz91ru6roto1_500.gif

HabitualChiller

Enjoying a Long Night of Solace✌
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere on an Xbox
I like the 80's better. I'm more of a synth-pop kind of guy so that probably explains it. I honestly have always felt that pop>soul because soul/rnb talk about the exact same shyt with a different sound to mask it.

j.smooth4

All Star
Daps
Reppin
D[M]V
Depends the natural instrumentals is what caused it though. It can be sampled and has better replay for wider audiences.