Why aren’t more black kids going pro in esports?

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
I can’t speak to much about P.C games, but yugioh ( which is a huge money generator) requires a lot of traveling and most regionals are in the suburban parts of the country. Add in the price of cards ( Ash flower blossom), mats and boxes.

It’s tough for black teams to thrive.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
This quote from the OP is really summarizes the main point the writer was making IMO:

“Currently, if a player loves Dota, there’s a sponsored path toward a career in the industry and the potential to net up to $10 million in the current prize pool. It can become a lucrative career if a player can reach the highest levels. But if a player loves and puts his or her hours in on Street Fighter, at best, thehighest individual take would be $50,000.”

I’ve called out racial issues with devs regularly on this forum. I don’t think this article does a good job of presenting an argument that there is racial bias in e-sports.
The writer makes it clear that the money in e-sports is primarily in PC games. (That in itself is not a racial issue). Then the writer states that most minorities game on console where their potential earnings are significantly less. The writer seems to be a bit out of touch. You can’t say: (paraphrasing) “most minorities play street fighter v and that’s why they get less money”. I say: “No, they get less money playing street fighter v because the game is whack and doesn’t pull in the same number of people to watch it”.

This whole article reminds me of the argument about the disparity in pay of women basketball players versus men basket ball players. The difference isn’t based on gender or level of skill, it’s simple math, based on viewership which equals sponsorship potential.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
All this stuff is legacy man, it’s just that simple. It’s just like the workforce and everything else in the world.

Black people and minorities over all come from poor backgrounds and usually end up gaming on consoles. (Before then it was arcades) and that’s why you see them go "esports" in fighters and sports games. Essentially at 8-18 where you kind of development that esport twitch your average black family isn't going to have a computer decent computer at that, that one person can sit at for hours and play without interruption and really get good.

They probably will have a console or two with streetfighter, some anime fighter, mortral kombat or madden or some shooter.

It was the same in the arcades, minorities rule in the arcade you made that dollar or 5 last for hours or you stood around watching....

The second part is it is a HIGHLY toxic environment for black people, from white people spewing racist and gay things for fun to straight up hate if you "sound" black. It would take some special kind of mindset for a black person to be to in like DOTA or Overwatch and not get trolled to death and have respect for his self and race.

The best black guy in fighters right now is a bi sexual, autistic, furry.... so yeah.

The biggest pots are pretty much cut off from us and we don't even know it. If a black kid coming up happens to have a decent pc, gets into dota or overwatch, is really good, able to deal the the toxic environment, get picked up, deal with even more toxicity and trolls I'd be highly surprised....Doing all that without being extra.... not gay, or an anime weeb, or bi sexual, or a furry... Just a black dude that has respect for himself and his race.... yeah

The funny thing is the thing that kept fighters alive during the dark era of fighting games was mvc2... it was dominated by minorities and everything want the hype and passion that the players had for that game with there...so they begin trying to emulate it. Now the fgc is trying to be esport and it sucks, you can't be raw and uncut and PG at the sametime.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
Is esports handing out million dollar contracts and endorsements? :jbhmm:

It won't be long. To be honest. Especially if OWL and NALCS continue their rise.

You can’t say: (paraphrasing) “most minorities play street fighter v and that’s why they get less money”. I say: “No, they get less money playing street fighter v because the game is whack and doesn’t pull in the same number of people to watch it”.

This whole article reminds me of the argument about the disparity in pay of women basketball players versus men basket ball players. The difference isn’t based on gender or level of skill, it’s simple math, based on viewership which equals sponsorship potential.

Its a bit of both, in my opinion. While you are right in the fact MOBAs pull numbers. Big FGC events do as well. The big difference there is skins and cosmetics have been monitzed in MOBAs for years and they injected that money directly back into the leagues and prize pools. Capcom is just no doing that, and to be honest they are the only company in the FGC that actually has given true, infrastructural support to their game. The rest of the FGC leaves it to the community to organize...something I think was short-sighted. The games with league support from the devs are currently the ones bringing in all the cash. (OW, LOL, DOTA2, etc).

All this stuff is legacy man, it’s just that simple. It’s just like the workforce and everything else in the world.

Black people and minorities over all come from poor backgrounds and usually end up gaming on consoles. (Before then it was arcades) and that’s why you see them go "esports" in fighters and sports games. Essentially at 8-18 where you kind of development that esport twitch your average black family isn't going to have a computer decent computer at that, that one person can sit at for hours and play without interruption and really get good.

They probably will have a console or two with streetfighter, some anime fighter, mortral kombat or madden or some shooter.

It was the same in the arcades, minorities rule in the arcade you made that dollar or 5 last for hours or you stood around watching....

The second part is it is a HIGHLY toxic environment for black people, from white people spewing racist and gay things for fun to straight up hate if you "sound" black. It would take some special kind of mindset for a black person to be to in like DOTA or Overwatch and not get trolled to death and have respect for his self and race.

The best black guy in fighters right now is a bi sexual, autistic, furry.... so yeah.

The biggest pots are pretty much cut off from us and we don't even know it. If a black kid coming up happens to have a decent pc, gets into dota or overwatch, is really good, able to deal the the toxic environment, get picked up, deal with even more toxicity and trolls I'd be highly surprised....Doing all that without being extra.... not gay, or an anime weeb, or bi sexual, or a furry... Just a black dude that has respect for himself and his race.... yeah

The funny thing is the thing that kept fighters alive during the dark era of fighting games was mvc2... it was dominated by minorities and everything want the hype and passion that the players had for that game with there...so they begin trying to emulate it. Now the fgc is trying to be esport and it sucks, you can't be raw and uncut and PG at the sametime.

I personally think this is spot on. We ignore just how awful the early years of internet console gaming was not just from a gameplay standpoint but community as well. PC was already the "realm of white, nerdy, socially inept kids" so when that same foolishness came to consoles it was jarring. But that shyt is hard to do when you gotta stare a nikka in they face.

I personally think there's a reason why Vegas makes sense for EVO. Like literally with the right sponsors and support it could EASILY be like the esports version Boxing or UFC. The FGC doesn't HAVE to be PG. Part of why people fukk with the FGC is because it isn't PG.

I fully do believe that part of it is indeed racial in that the publishers/devs THEMSELVES didn't see the money they were sitting on because it was a bunch of black/latino kids gathering in student halls having tournaments. But also, they didn't do what MOBAs did in making additional money from the game to support it. So I think its a combination of many things....

But this Fortnite shyt might change up everything...:manny:

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
Run Thru U Like Skattebo
audi sponsors a csgo team. clearly the marketing folk have looked at the demo and saw that the pc audience can afford to buy import cars. so the short answer is demographics rule.

the silver lining: i think computing power is getting more affordable while the games are getting very bottlenecked in terms of graphics. black kids in a few years will be dealing with computers that are not more expensive than a ps5 that will run some future version of dota respectably. at that point, only cultural preferences or white hostility would be a barrier

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
TSM's fortnite team is mostly black. Might be the best fortnite team out right now tbh.

Thats true. I wonder if Epic games is going to release a ranked matchmaking or have some type of league. We'll get some shine then.

There are some top black players in the FGC but not that many in the Moba world. Tyler1 is pretty good at LoL and should be able to make a semipro team at least. I've seen him dominate pros in solo q with his Draven.

There could be an all black esports team but it will take someone to organize and lead a team. I know Triforce gets cloned on in the FGC but that was one of his goals. He pointed out that if you Google esports you'd never see a black face in the photos and he wanted to change that. His execution and follow through just wasn't right.

There was a black owned gaming league/center around here but unfortunately they weren't able to stay open. There were top pro players in Halo 2/3 in the area too. I guess the timing wasn't right. I saw the guy that ran it in the barber shop and he wanted to start it up again. I should get in contact with him.

I believe esports is still in the early stages though. A local university is offering 15 full scholarships for esports. Things like that should help diversify some of the communities soon.

scarlxrd

Underground
Supporter
Daps
TSM Myth is the best fortnite player out right now.

TF more do yall want? trash article anyways, black kids been killing the FGC for decades before esports was a thing.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
TSM Myth is the best fortnite player out right now.

TF more do yall want? trash article anyways, black kids been killing the FGC for decades before esports was a thing.
Obama was the president of the United States too.

wtf do you mean what more do we want?

I don't keep up with fortnite like that but I know Ninja and dr somebody.

Never heard of tsm myth a day in my life.

That should tell you all you need to know.

And black people and minorities have been killing fighters for a long time... fgc espots is poverty esports compared to other esports game.

Majestyx

Duck Season
Daps
Reppin
Los Scandalous
African-American men tend to:

• Use fewer cheats and mods; value good sportsmanship
  • Play on console systems
  • Place a high value on competition
  • Play in multigenerational family settings

Close thread
:russ: brehs stay arguing actin like HOF on Madden or 2k is the best. CACs be playin on rookie, finding every damn way to cheat the game