Why aren't current wrestling stars known by the general public?

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Let's be honest.. most people don't have a clue who Giannis or Joker is unless you actually watch the games. And those are the last 4 (soon to be 5) League MVPs. LeBron yes obviously.. Curry crossed over (also with help from his wife don't sleep..) but a lot of the NBA stars have not gained that type of notoriety yet. Too fragmented.

Giannis people know because again theres a lot of sports. Mostly male

If we're talking across the board then yeah its probably just Bron, Curry, Durant, Kyrie

FS4LFE

Veteran
Daps
what larger than life wrestlers do you have these days from the modern era?

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
They used to say the same about John Cena and now he's everywhere. But how many people are 'household names' now in any field?

u got a rapper.. say Lil uzi who had a whole gen.. very popular within that gen and that space.. but does the average person care about Lil Uzi the same way people can recognize Pac or Big? Hell no... not even close..
i prolly couldn't identify 90% of these current rappers myself. :russ:

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
non-fans know Giannis because of his nickname

they don't know Jokic at all

i don't even really watch basketball or sportscenter like that but I only know some players cuz of social media and what people be talking about. but yeah if a player isn't in a major market or discussed often, general public won't know who he is. All I know about Jokic is that he's on the nuggets.

Lobo

The Main Man
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
It's just like with boxing, wrestling is simply not as big as it once was. Because we consume the product we live in a bubble that can lead us to view things incorrectly.
Bro you explained it perfectly. The wrestling fan's logic can be disturbingly retarded most of the time.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
More people than you’d probably expect, depending on the age of the people being polled

You ask 10 random kids and I wouldn’t be shocked if all 10 knew who he was

On the flipside of that, if you asked 10 random 40+ year old white people who Kodak Black was, I’m sure they’d have no idea. Does that mean nobody knows who Kodak Black is?

There’s this thing called demographics. I personally couldn’t point Dua Lipa out of a lineup. I know the name, have absolutely no idea who she is or what she looks like though.. and that means nothing. I’m a 30 year old black dude. I’m not her target audience
Exactly

Dumb as fukk analogy

TM101

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Let's be honest.. most people don't have a clue who Giannis or Joker is unless you actually watch the games. And those are the last 4 (soon to be 5) League MVPs. LeBron yes obviously.. Curry crossed over (also with help from his wife don't sleep..) but a lot of the NBA stars have not gained that type of notoriety yet. Too fragmented.
Internet has made becoming a global star so difficult. I think the only GenZ athlete with true global popularity is Naomi Osaka.

Finn Baller

Superstar
Daps
Internet has made becoming a global star so difficult. I think the only GenZ athlete with true global popularity is Naomi Osaka.

what about kickboxer Andrew Tate :troll:

edit: nvm didn't see the "GenZ" part

thenatural

Superstar
Daps
They used to say the same about John Cena and now he's everywhere. But how many people are 'household names' now in any field?

u got a rapper.. say Lil uzi who had a whole gen.. very popular within that gen and that space.. but does the average person care about Lil Uzi the same way people can recognize Pac or Big? Hell no... not even close..
I'm not quoting all your replies but I agree 100%. Wrestling fans need to realize that there are more options available from a television standpoint today versus 20-30 years ago. Hell, I was shocked when I saw Roman on "The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Falllon" a few weeks ago, but I immediately realized they have a partnership with NBC.

KEEPITTRILLA

soon as i catch the vibe tell em 2 fetch th hearse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TX
Yep. its really demographics for the most part..

you show a million of Gen Z tik tok teens a picture of Canelo Alvarez and a picture of iShowSpeed or Adin Ross... I bet my LIFE more of them will know Speed and Adin than they do Canelo...

now you take a million 30+ year old Mexicans cats and do the same.. 96% will know Canelo and most would have absolutely no fukkin idea who Speed or Adin was..

Now we know Canelo is a star and Speed/Adin are nobodies in comparison, but to their demographic they're Jesus. all this shyt is super fragmented. There's so many different pockets of entertainment these days, and so many different ways it's consumed. Someone can be the most important person in the world in one pocket and completely irrelevant in another. That's just how shyt is today lol
100%

Reminds me of when Bad Bunny came out at first on WWE and beards were saying "who?"

The Amerikkkan Idol

The Amerikkkan Nightmare
Daps
I think there is. It's just wrestling is absolutely not a part of it. Everyone knew about the Tiger King.
I think a lot of that happened because of the pandemic. It created a sort of fleeting moment where we were all going through the same thing at the same time again. The same thing happened with "The Last Dance". The early days of the pandemic was weird, man.
Hogan was not on that level but he was real up there....
Dude, Hogan was ABSOLUTELY on that level.

Y'all just don't know, man.

Hogan was about as iconic as Joe Montana, Magic, Bird, etc. . .in the late '80s.

His level of fame is incomprehensible to anybody born in the last 35 years.
I'd go with maybe Simone Biles too, maybe?

You think?