Why aren't current wrestling stars known by the general public?

Atsym Sknyfs

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Man, these people so outdated.

Roman got damn near 7 million followers on IG, people know who he is.

The days of the hulk hogan megastar is over. Wrestling isn’t being consumed by 10 million viewers on a weekly basis anymore. That’s just what it is
And how many of those 7 million
1) really know who he and didnt just follow because of a rabbit hole
2) actually follow and read what he posts on a regular basis

your statement is contradictory.. you said the days of the 10 million viewers are over but says he has 7 million followers... So are you implying not all followers are viewers ?

Last edited:

Atsym Sknyfs

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
shyts Weird Nowadays, An Artist Like Trippie Red Has 13 Million Followers On IG, Platinum Plaques, Sold Out Shows And I Can’t Name 1 Damn Song From The Guy

And I Honestly Don’t Think 10 Random People Off The Street Would Know Who He Is Either
followers do not equate to supporters..
If it did every artist would go 2x platinum at a minimum

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
There was a thread a while back on here where this old head did not know any of the wrestlers, besides the usual suspects (Cena, Hogan, Flair). Once he got to Bryan, dude called him "the lumberjack" :deadrose:. See here's a thing, we should all know this by now...wrestling is officially niched. No matter how many flips a wrestler does, no matter how many F bombs and fukkery a wrestler get into, they will never... I mean, NEVER get out of the shadow of the OGs.

When you have youngins harping about an era that they were either a tinkle in the father's eye or an infant by then, it speaks volumes to the harsh reality that wrestling will never get to the limelight and be as popular as it was during the peak of the late 90s.

I mean, check out the NBA, movies nowadays, etc. There's not a marketable soul that's touching the GOATs. It's not just a wrestling thing anymore, it's just entertainment in general.

How can an entertainer compete in an industry where a Joe Schmo gets 15 minutes of fame off of TikTok?

Hell, Logan Paul got more mainstream appeal than Bray Wyatt. Sad state of affairs :francis:

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
That was my whole point.. You can't really say Roman isn't a star when the company is pulling a billion revenue and they about to sell out SoFi for two nights etc...

Fragmented yes... but WWE is healthier than the sh-t that gen z consumes. You'd much rather be WWE than a flavor of the month..

But they were selling that out regardless when they didnt know Roman's match. Thats what Im saying. The brand WWE is greater than one star. It aint even like Roman is getting asked to do all this stuff outside of Wrestling like the guys in both boom periods.

Generally speaking though when I see people talk about WWE that dont follow it, they acknowledge its huge but that when they watch its lame or not essiental viewing so idk how you can frame. Its a stable entitiy but not that much of a converaation starter in the culture.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
But they were selling that out regardless when they didnt know Roman's match. Thats what Im saying. The brand WWE is greater than one star. It aint even like Roman is getting asked to do all this stuff outside of Wrestling like the guys in both boom periods.

Generally speaking though when I see people talk about WWE that dont follow it, they acknowledge its huge but that when they watch its lame or not essiental viewing so idk how you can frame. Its a stable entitiy but not that much of a converaation starter in the culture.

My point isn't that Roman is some household name.. i don't believe household names exist in any arena anymore... there's no more MJs or Madonna's out there... pop culture is too fragmented..

My point is more that despite WWE not being what it once was... you cannot be a "niche" thing that nobody cares about and produce over a bill in revenue over a quarter.. that's not actually possible. There's more fans than people want to admit. Numbers don't lie

richaveli83

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, Texas but living in Houston, Texas
They used to say the same about John Cena and now he's everywhere. But how many people are 'household names' now in any field?

u got a rapper.. say Lil uzi who had a whole gen.. very popular within that gen and that space.. but does the average person care about Lil Uzi the same way people can recognize Pac or Big? Hell no... not even close..
This kind of relates to what I was thinking the other night when LeBron broke Kareem's record. LeBron is kind of like the last of an era when it comes to larger than life superstar players. Yeah you got Curry, Durant, Paul, etc but are they on the level of a Magic, Dr. J, Jordan, Kobe, Shaq, etc? Yeah they're popular, appear in commercials, have their own shoe, etc are but are they the type of players that the league can revolve around?

It's like the WWE now. There is nobody who is bigger than the promotion. It's more about the brand than the individual. Cena is the end of an era when it comes to that "it" guy in pro wrestling.

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
My point isn't that Roman is some household name.. i don't believe household names exist in any arena anymore... there's no more MJs or Madonna's out there... pop culture is too fragmented..

My point is more that despite WWE not being what it once was... you cannot be a "niche" thing that nobody cares about and produce over a bill in revenue over a quarter.. that's not actually possible. There's more fans than people want to admit. Numbers don't lie

I mean even Monster Truck rallies do big venues :yeshrug:

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
This kind of relates to what I was thinking the other night when LeBron broke Kareem's record. LeBron is kind of like the last of an era when it comes to larger than life superstar players. Yeah you got Curry, Durant, Paul, etc but are they on the level of a Magic, Dr. J, Jordan, Kobe, Shaq, etc? Yeah they're popular, appear in commercials, have their own shoe, etc are but are they the type of players that the league can revolve around?

It's like the WWE now. There is nobody who is bigger than the promotion. It's more about the brand than the individual. Cena is the end of an era when it comes to that "it" guy in pro wrestling.

One thing to add with both WWE and NBA stars

We probably wont know how much culturally popular they are until the kids who grow up start talking about them years later.

Like I didnt think Jeff Hardy and Rey Mysterio were crossover but now people who kids in the ruthless agression era who dont even watch wrestling bring them up

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps

WWE big PLEs are much like the NFL Super Bowl, College Basketball Final Four, and College Football National Championship in that regard - the tickets for these events sell out or nearly sell out long before we know who is going to be participating or what the matchups will be because of the name of the event and the brand.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
I mean even Monster Truck rallies do big venues :yeshrug:

Sure they do... everyone can name "Bigfoot" and "Gravedigger" ... they've been on TV for decades. Wrestling fans have to be some of the most insecure people on the planet..

nobody is gonna say to your face "why'd u go to a WWE show? :scusthov: " and when you do go... yeah there's some beards but there's a bunch of normal family regular ass people there too.. it's entertainment and it drums up a lot of revenue. :manny:

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
One thing to add with both WWE and NBA stars

We probably wont know how much culturally popular they are until the kids who grow up start talking about them years later.

Like I didnt think Jeff Hardy and Rey Mysterio were crossover but now people who kids in the ruthless agression era who dont even watch wrestling bring them up

Let's be honest.. most people don't have a clue who Giannis or Joker is unless you actually watch the games. And those are the last 4 (soon to be 5) League MVPs. LeBron yes obviously.. Curry crossed over (also with help from his wife don't sleep..) but a lot of the NBA stars have not gained that type of notoriety yet. Too fragmented.