Why aren't current wrestling stars known by the general public?

Big Jo

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Man, these people so outdated.

Roman got damn near 7 million followers on IG, people know who he is.
I mean, mac miller died 4 years ago and has 11 million followers

The catch me outside girl has over TWICE as many followers as reigns

So I agree with the thesis that 10 random people on the street wouldn’t know who he is

No bullshyt, I saw John Cena out eating dinner with his wife in San Diego and nobody came up to him and asked for autographs etc. now I still consider him a mega star, and maybe people were just being considerate because he was eating, but it’s crazy to me that he was out there and not one person seemed to recognize him or care

I have to imagine Roman reigns would get even less of a buzz

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps

So I agree with the thesis that 10 random people on the street wouldn’t know who he is

No bullshyt, I saw John Cena out eating dinner with his wife in San Diego and nobody came up to him and asked for autographs etc. now I still consider him a mega star, and maybe people were just being considerate because he was eating, but it’s crazy to me that he was out there and not one person seemed to recognize him or care

People probably would think Roman is Jason Momoa

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
They mentioned Roman at the last Jake Paul fight and all of the announcers went “WHO?”

Wrasslin aint poppin like that anymore dudes be in here beefing over ratings of some shyt nobody besides us washed nikkas watch.

i agree but not 100% because..

man the Paul brothers aren't selling out SoFi stadium for two nights and then a stadium in Vegas and then in England.. etc. The WWE is probably worth around $10B total.

Pauls are not universal either.. of course they'd say "who?" ... that's what most people said about the Pauls before Mayweather.

When the Pauls can do over $3B a year in revenue then they could join the convo. Gen Z doesn't have the money that gen Y and Gen X and Boomers have to spend.

Larry

Indiana's Finest
Daps

Respectfully, I think you guys continuously miss the point with posts like this, while simultaneously making my point.

For one, to definitively make the statement that these 10 completely hypothetical made up people wouldn’t know who Roman was leaves too many other questions. WHO are these people? What’s their age and ethnicity? Where are they from, what do they do? Are they familiar with wrestling at all?

Can y’all not see how fragmented this conversation is?

I’m sure I can poll 10 people who wouldn’t know who fukkin Nelson Mandela was. Mater of fact there was a fukkin segment on Jimmy Kimmel live years ago where they showed random 20-something year olds pictures of Nelson Mandela and asked who he was, and nearly all of them thought he was Morgan Freeman.

So am I to assume Mandela was a nobody now? This conversation is much more complex than ya’ll are definitively making it. Fame is such a complex thing, especially with the introduction of social media. Mr Beast is one of the most watched people in the world with 130 million YouTube subscribers and a networth of $105 million. I’m sure if you’re not his demographic you probably have absolutely no idea who he is.

Last edited:

Larry

Indiana's Finest
Daps
my parents have no clue who the Pauls are. i had no clue until mayweather and my circle don't. And we ain't old. it's purely gen z who live on the net all day long
I agree with this, but the notion that Gen z doesn’t matter because “well, I’m not Gen Z” is also flawed.

As a black guy in my early 30’s, I’m a whole demographic to myself. There’s pop acts with Grammys and multiple platinum hit records that I wouldn’t know from a stranger in the street. If them BTS nikkas were in front of me right now, I would have no idea. I know they exist in name alone. I can’t name a song and can’t tell you what they look like other than being Asians. I’m assuming neither could most of you.

And why would we be able to? As black dudes in our late 20’s/early 30’s we are clearly not BTS’s targeted demographic. Are they not famous now because hoods across America aren’t tapped in with them? This shyt is so fragmented

:ohlawd:

So it’s a really dishonest conversation to even have. You guys are essentially indirectly making the claim that the only demographic that matters in this conversation is the one unfamiliar with wrestling…

So what happens if I poll 80k people in LA during Mania weekend and nearly all of them know who he is? Does it not count because they’re likely wrestling fans and traveled across the US to see him? Do you not see the flaw in that? If the criteria is only specifically people that aren’t his demographic, you’re tipping the scale at that point.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
So what happens if I poll 80k people in LA during Mania weekend and nearly all of them know who he is? Does it not count because they’re likely wrestling fans and traveled across the US to see him? Do you not see the flaw in that? If the criteria is only specifically people that aren’t his demographic, you’re tipping the scale at that point.

for as many people who travel to Wrestlemania most seats are still purchased locally so it will be thousands and thousands of people from the L.A. area who clearly have a clue who Roman is.

Larry

Indiana's Finest
Daps
for as many people who travel to Wrestlemania most seats are still purchased locally so it will be thousands and thousands of people from the L.A. area who clearly have a clue who Roman is.
I’ll play along

So if I poll 80k people outside of the event, and all of them know exactly who he is?

Do they not count because they are likely there because they purchased tickets to see him?

You can keep twisting and stretching your argument to make it fit but it still falls flat. If you’re specifically searching for a demographic that doesn’t belong to the field he’s in, it’s a dishonest conversation. You’re tipping the scale to lean one way.

It’s like going to Chicago and asking everyone around the projects who Prince Henry is to prove nobody knows Prince Henry.

I don’t even know if Prince Henry is an actual person so if it isn’t, my bad. Lol. Point is, if the criteria is specifically looking for people outside of the demographic someone belongs to, it’s dishonest.

Last edited:

Greenhornet

A God Among Kings
Daps
Reppin
Rochester Ny
I stopped watching when WCW folded

I brought up a point at work to a big wrestling guy
I hate how today the people just go by their names ... there's no quirky personas or imagination

back in the day it was entertaining, I dont wanna root for "Paul Meadows against Ian Smith"
I wanna see "Backwoods Billy fight Jason the school shooter"

if the 90s stars all just went by their real name... the characters would be dead and it would have been boring as fukk
you gotta have at least SOME imagination, when you saw Hacksaw Jim Duggan... he had his 2x4. Hulk was synonymous with yellow and red. Now I'll see a persons name but it doesnt draw me in to care, there's no depth to the character.

krackdagawd

Inspire.
Daps
Reppin
Another Gold Medal
i agree but not 100% because..

man the Paul brothers aren't selling out SoFi stadium for two nights and then a stadium in Vegas and then in England.. etc. The WWE is probably worth around $10B total.

Pauls are not universal either.. of course they'd say "who?" ... that's what most people said about the Pauls before Mayweather.

When the Pauls can do over $3B a year in revenue then they could join the convo. Gen Z doesn't have the money that gen Y and Gen X and Boomers have to spend.

I think it’s hard to have this conversation with people who are in the bubble I’m in the bubble as well tho but the kids know who Logan Paul is they don’t know no damn Roman Reigns it ain’t like the attitude era breh kids aren’t going to school talking about no damn Monday night raw. :mjlol: you can have a niche product that makes money doesn’t somehow change what it is tho.

The brand is what’s moving the money for them because there are zero stars.

AStrangeName

Member of Snitch Syndication
Daps
my parents have no clue who the Pauls are. i had no clue until mayweather and my circle don't. And we ain't old. it's purely gen z who live on the net all day long
The Paul brothers goes back to the Vine days last decade that is how they both got their popularity before moving over to YouTube once Vine fell off and got bigger, thou controversial since. Most people who are familiar with them are late 10s to mid 30s.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
you can have a niche product that makes money doesn’t somehow change what it is tho.

my point in the convo isn't that WWE isn't niche it's more that everything is fragmented. By definition the Paul brothers are way more niche than WWE.. it's just that they have a younger demo.. regardless of that you'd rather be the $10B business than the brothers who probably wont be around in 10 years.

These fixed boxing matches are already losing steam.

Big Jo

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Respectfully, I think you guys continuously miss the point with posts like this, while simultaneously making my point.

For one, to definitively make the statement that these 10 completely hypothetical made up people wouldn’t know who Roman was leaves too many other questions. WHO are these people? What’s their age and ethnicity? Where are they from, what do they do? Are they familiar with wrestling at all?

Can y’all not see how fragmented this conversation is?

I’m sure I can poll 10 people who wouldn’t know who fukkin Nelson Mandela was. Mater of fact there was a fukkin segment on Jimmy Kimmel live years ago where they showed random 20-something year olds pictures of Nelson Mandela and asked who he was, and nearly all of them thought he was Morgan Freeman.

So am I to assume Mandela was a nobody now? This conversation is much more complex than ya’ll are definitively making it. Fame is such a complex thing, especially with the introduction of social media. Mr Beast is one of the most watched people in the world with 130 million YouTube subscribers and a networth of $105 million. I’m sure if you’re not his demographic you probably have absolutely no idea who he is.

Breh stop being coy

It’s hypothetical crowd sampling. For context, figure somebody walks out into any major city and asks 10 people passing by.

Law of averages here. 90 to 100% of people would know Nelson Mandela in most realistic contexts. The same could be said for say Hulk Hogan or Mike Tyson. Roman reigns on the other hand is generally not a well known public figure.

You’re being obtuse if you think Reigns is a celebrity outside of wrestling. He’s not