Why aren't Black Lightning and Insecure ever stickied?

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Yeah that’s that white boy in you :francis:
giphy.gif

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Black Lightning is awesome and i know people have their issues with Insecure but i fukks with it. Its also the ONLY television show that airs from a black female auteur which gives it cultural and historical relevance.

Yet we got Sons Of Cacs, DareCac, The Walking Cacs, all front and center on this suppsedly BLACK message board...
Is that a typo when you said "auteur"?

WAYMENT......Ya'll think that show is PRO BLACK??? :dwillhuh: because black people are in it? :francis:

ahahahaahahaaa :russ:

The main character is a classic king kong caricature....the script is a fukking "c00n alert" CW producers are racist as hell
black people don't talk like they do on that show in real life my whole fam was laughing at the ignorant shyt we thought it was a joke at first

LOL. There are plenty of posters in TLR who think "Atlanta" is a pro-black show just because it has a majority black cast.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga

LOL. There are plenty of posters in TLR who think "Atlanta" is a pro-black show just because it has a majority black cast.

au·teur
/ōˈtər/
noun
  1. a filmmaker whose personal influence and artistic control over a movie are so great that the filmmaker is regarded as the author of the movie.

And Atlanta is definitely about as “pro black” as it gets on mainstream television

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Black Lightning is awesome and i know people have their issues with Insecure but i fukks with it. Its also the ONLY television show that airs from a black female auteur which gives it cultural and historical relevance.

Yet we got Sons Of Cacs, DareCac, The Walking Cacs, all front and center on this suppsedly BLACK message board...

You do realize that Mara Brock Akil's Husband, Salim Akil, is the Showrunner & Head Writer of "Black Lightning", right? Mara is only a Exec Producer because she's a big name involved, just like Greg Berlanti.

As far as "Atlanta" being a pro-black show, nah. If "Atlanta" is considered a pro-black show, that any black TV show or film can be labeled pro-black.

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
WAYMENT......Ya'll think that show is PRO BLACK??? :dwillhuh: because black people are in it? :francis:

The main character is a classic king kong caricature....the script is a fukking "c00n alert" CW producers are racist as hell
black people don't talk like they do on that show in real life my whole fam was laughing at the ignorant shyt we thought it was a joke at first
All of the major characters on Black Lightning are professional Black people (doctor, school principal, teacher, former politician, detective, etc.). What's wrong with the way that they talk? Should they split their verbs? Should they walk around drinking 40s & sucking on rib bones while their pants are sagging? Should they be more L&HH and less Huxtable like?
Matter of fact, don't worry about it...

@Deacon Frye, I think we got one.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
You do realize that Mara Brock Akil's Husband, Salim Akil, is the Showrunner & Head Writer of "Black Lightning", right? Mara is only a Exec Producer because she's a big name involved, just like Greg Berlanti.

As far as "Atlanta" being a pro-black show, nah. If "Atlanta" is considered a pro-black show, that any black TV show or film can be labeled pro-black.

I’m not talking about Black Lightning when I speak on Auteur. I CLEARLY said in my original post that INSECURE is the only show on tv led by a black female auteur which is Issa Rae. She is the creator, writer, executive producer and star.

And if you watched The BAN, Juneteenth, and Teddy Perkins episodes of Atlanta you’ll definitely see the show is pro black. Its not “in your face militant” pro black but its impossible to ignore the themes and messages of those episodes.

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
All of the major characters on Black Lightning are professional Black people (doctor, school principal, teacher, former politician, detective, etc.). What's wrong with the way that they talk? Should they split their verbs? Should they walk around drinking 40s & sucking on rib bones while their pants are sagging? Should they be more L&HH and less Huxtable like?
Matter of fact, don't worry about it...

@Deacon Frye, I think we got one.
Got em

Stacker Pentecost

Superstar
Daps
I don't fucc with "Insecure", but to be fair to it, any black show with a majority black viewing audience probably airs on BET, TV One, or some other network that is completely targeted to black folks.

The black shows that don't air on Black-targeted networks all have a majority non-black audience.

I made a thread discussing the topic a year & a half ago:

https://www.thecoli.com/threads/black-tv-shows-are-increasingly-drawing-substantial-non-black-viewership-according-to-nielsen.513907/

What do you guys think about Power, which comes on a Starz? It has a 75% Black audience on a premium cable channel that isn’t **specifically** geared towards black folks. Just an anomaly/cultural zeitgeist? (Really asking, not being sarcastic)

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps

I'm not even gonna lie to you...I sometimes wonder how pro-black a show can be on the CW (aka Cracker World) of all networks when I see this show bigged up on here :heh: