why are anime characters drawn white??

cole phelps

Superstar
Daps
:mjlol:
Quit lying heffa. You know goddamn well these characters resemble white people more than any godamn race on this earth. Yes they might not look exactly like white people (hence it being a cartoon) but you a goddamn lie if you tell me that they're features don't mostly resemble a whites:mjlol:

Crazy female:upsetfavre:
lol let them tell it this looks like a typical Japanese kid

ichigo-mashimaro-26.jpg

It is a mystery

Tory Lanez Stan
Daps
I was planning to stay logged out of this site and only lurk but some people in this thread but some people are so off base that you forced me to log on to the COLI
Anime characters are depicted as people from various groups as that is their intention.They try to have a variouty of backgrounds for visual-related diversity or plot related purposes. Not everyone in anime is from Japan, some people are from western countries and have a western look on purpose.
Look at the anime monster
Tenma (protagonist) is from Japan:
maxresdefault.jpg

Johann Liebert(antagonist) has a European background
latest

You can very easily distinguish both characters' backgrounds even if I didn't tell you.
To the people saying all the sailor moon characters look like they are white, one is literally a fukking shrine maiden. That's about as Japanese as it's going to get
1e356-sailor-mars-rei-hino326.jpg
'

90% of the time it's very obvious where the character is from and 10% of the time it's intentionally ambiguous because they aren't representing any pre-existing culture at all (large blue hair etc.)

More examples: Light yagami (asian)
tumblr_inline_mqoauzJdMO1qz4rgp.jpg

edward elric (euro)
5lMubZ0Z.jpg

Cowboy bebop (western about cowboys - american)
628961-spikespiegelm01vh2.jpg

samurai champloo (samurai show - asains)
8dc0ec590daf17181abf66311e40117e.jpg

Mitchiko and Hatchin (anime set in brazil - brazillians)
michiko-and-hatchin-part-1-05.jpg

Hopefully everybody gets it now

Last edited:

MegaManX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
they are not drawn white dumb ass. White people in anime have a VERY VERY specific look. They are either blond with obnoxiously long hair/ponytails, wear european dresses, and half narrow eyes (symbolizes arrogance.)

THey are always depicted like this. As for the pigment of the characters, go to japan! That is how they fukking look. THey are whiter then white people there. They also color people with a bronze tan just like those southern japanese on those islands.

Fani Willis fan

Man What
Daps
I was planning to stay logged out of this site and only lurk but some people in this thread but some people are so off base that you forced me to log on to the COLI
Anime characters are depicted as people from various groups as that is their intention.They try to have a variouty of backgrounds for visual-related diversity or plot related purposes. Not everyone in anime is from Japan, some people are western countries and have a western look on purpose.
Look at the anime monster
Tenma (protagonist) is from Japan:
maxresdefault.jpg

Johann Liebert(antagonist) has a European background
latest

You very easily distinguish where both characters backgrounds are even if I didn't tell you.
To the people saying all the sailor moon characters look like they are white, one is literally a fukking shrine maiden. That's about as Japanese as it's going to get
1e356-sailor-mars-rei-hino326.jpg
'

90% of the time it's very obvious where the character is from and 10% of the time it's intentionally ambiguous because they aren't representing any pre-existing culture at all (large blue hair etc.)

More examples: Light yagami (asian)
tumblr_inline_mqoauzJdMO1qz4rgp.jpg

edward elric (euro)
5lMubZ0Z.jpg

Cowboy bebop (western about cowboys)
628961-spikespiegelm01vh2.jpg

samurai champloo (samurai show - asains)
8dc0ec590daf17181abf66311e40117e.jpg

Mitchiko and Hatchin (anime set in brazil - brazillians)
michiko-and-hatchin-part-1-05.jpg

Hopefully everybody gets it now
you were very selective with your examples to make it seem evenly diversified, very good.

a brazilian or minority being represented as such is an anomoly in manga/anime culture

and damn near all the characters you say are of asian heritage look like caucasians.

Ichigo looks like an american ginger

why would a samurai in an asian setting have red hair ? (rurouni kenshin)

It is a mystery

Tory Lanez Stan
Daps
you were very selective with your examples to make it seem evenly diversified, very good.

a brazilian or minority being represented as such is an anomoly in manga/anime culture

and damn near all the characters you say are of asian heritage look like caucasians.

Ichigo looks like an american ginger

why would a samurai in an asian setting have red hair ? (rurouni kenshin)
I never stated that the racial distribution in Anime was even. I was stating that there were a variety of races used in anime for visual (distinguishing characters) or plot purposes. The Brazillian example is from a show set in Brazil, where every character in the show is Brazilian.

Regarding Ichigo, he does look like a ginger but he's not the standard of what people look like even in his own show. Ichigo & Aizen look Caucasian, Rukia looks Asian, Yatsura looks Brown, they got a Black captain, another Asian captain, another White captain, etc.

Regarding the characters I posted not looking Asian, they do look Asian breh. If you don't see it, you could look up Asian people and more pictures of those characters and compare. Asian people look like Light and Tenma normally, and Jin is made to look like those old school artworks people posted earlier.

The samurai having red hair is to make him stand out for the sake of the show. Plenty people in Rurouni Kenshin do not have abnormal colored hair and look like regular samurais. Here's pictures of the live action movie of rurouni kenshin

kyoto_img1.jpg

legend_img1.jpg

It seems like some typical samurai shyt to me

NoGutsNoGLory

Superstar
Daps
Its simple, Walt Disney is the father of animation and greatly influenced every Japanese animator. Walt Disney's characters are white looking and so they copied it as well :yeshrug:

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't think Japanese people look at these characters and think "White People", Asian is the default there, so I'm gonna assume, that they assume those characters are Asian. Typically whenever a character isn't Japanese, they'll signify that in some obvious way ( in a gross, stereotypical way usually ). The characters may not have slanted eyes or whatever, but proportions are so exaggerated it's hard to say they represent anybody. It seems the anime's with more realistic proportions, make a bit more of an effort to make characters look distinctly Japanese though.

Last edited:

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
They're not, they're drawn Asian :dwillhuh:
White characters are drawn White, and Black characters are drawn Black.
Everyone in DragonBall Z was Asian, even the aliens, same for Bleach (though there are a few Black characters)
They're not going to draw them as Asian caricatures (they do sometimes though)