Why are AA's the only ones who claim to be indigenous to their country?

invalid

Banned
Daps
Descendants of slaves don't have any connection to specific African countries, and everything about those countries was stripped away from us; language, customs, names, so it's harder to claim Africa, because it's a continent.

I never understand why people speak in absolutes...

The Gullah: Rice, Slavery, and the Sierra Leone-American Connection | The Gilder Lehrman Center for the Study of Slavery, Resistance, and Abolition

The Gullah are a distinctive group of Black Americans from South Carolina and Georgia in the southeastern United States. They live in small farming and fishing communities along the Atlantic coastal plain and on the chain of Sea Islands which runs parallel to the coast. Because of their geographical isolation and strong community life, the Gullah have been able to preserve more of their African cultural heritage than any other group of Black Americans. They speak a creole language similar to Sierra Leone Krio, use African names, tell African folktales, make African-style handicrafts such as baskets and carved walking sticks, and enjoy a rich cuisine based primarily on rice.

Indeed, rice is what forms the special link between the Gullah and the people of Sierra Leone. During the 1700s the American colonists in South Carolina and Georgia discovered that rice would grow well in the moist, semitropical country bordering their coastline. But the American colonists had no experience with the cultivation of rice, and they needed African slaves who knew how to plant, harvest, and process this difficult crop. The white plantation owners purchased slaves from various parts of Africa, but they greatly preferred slaves from what they called the “Rice Coast” or “Windward Coast”—the traditional rice-growing region of West Africa, stretching from Senegal down to Sierra Leone and Liberia. The plantation owners were willing to pay higher prices for slaves from this area, and Africans from the Rice Coast were almost certainly the largest group of slaves imported into South Carolina and Georgia during the 18th century.

Additionally, I'm a Chavis descendant, which was a free colonial black family that was started by an indentured with the Portuguese surname of Chaves that originated from the Kongo Kingdom in present-day Congo/Angola. Many of the earliest black American families were from Kongo and whose Americanized names can be traced back to their Portuguese origins (Portugal colonized Kongo in the 1400s, so many of the indentures/slaves that came from this area 1) had Portuguese names and 2) were Christian before they came to the Colonies.) Other free colonial black families that they intermarried with were the Driggers/Rodrigo, Martin/Martins, Evans/Ibanez, Morris/Morais, Gomes/Gomez, Andrews/Andrade. So there was a clear connection between these early black families, their customs, and this Kingdom in Africa.

KONGO ACROSS THE WATERS | First exhibition in America to deeply explore the legacy of Kongo culture | Princeton University Art Museum

“This exhibition presents some of the finest works of African art in the world, and reminds us of Kongo’s visual legacy throughout the Atlantic world—an idea of central importance, considering the fact that nearly one fourth of first-generation African slaves in the United States were from the Kongo region,” said Princeton University Art Museum Director James Steward. “In doing so, this represents the Museum’s most ambitious project to date involving African artistic production and culture.”

I suspect that one can actually make specific cultural links to certain areas of West Africa after studying AA migrational/linguistic/cultural practices here in the United States. It's not an area that has been widely studied. I would also suspect that along with the first generation of African slaves, second, third, and fourth, generation slave descendants had a sense of where they were from. At some point, families probably just experienced a disconnect where it wasn't improtant to them anymore.

im_sleep

Superstar
Daps
Yes lol a lot of latino Island nikkas think they are native when most of the natives were wiped out and they are really just cacs and black

But don't tell them that though...it's national lore that they are descended from natives
That’s what I thought lol.

But anyway, @Turk the answer I believe is in the fact that in a three tier racial structure of European, Native, and African, no matter what the admixture, African would always be at the bottom. So for African descendants, especially those ambiguous enough to “pass”, the prospect of claiming other had social and economic value. Mix that in with a bit of self-hate brought by the greater society’s disdain of anything African and unfortunately you get what you see.
:yeshrug:

That ain't a thing outside of the islands, lot of actual indians in the mainland and they're all fukked in the game anyway so nobody wants to be like them.
Yeah I was mainly thinking PR and DR in this regard. I didn’t wanna group in the South American parts of the diaspora because I wasn’t exactly sure if this was a thing there as well, what you’re saying makes sense.

im_sleep

Superstar
Daps
nah you had hebrew israelites and moorish folks from the early 1900s
Correct. And many of their theories on their origins are rooted in the same stories free people of color used to explain their origins dating back to the late 17th century and early 18th century when the racial lines of slavery as well as the United States in general were becoming much more defined, placing Africans at the bottom and synonymous with slave status.

Social media makes this shyt seem new to a lot of people but it’s really some old, deep, and sad shyt.

Zak Bible

Banned
Daps
Because some of us can't fathom the Transatlantic Slave Trade and are ashamed of being of slave descent.

Then on top of being a minority anf not having any overt African customs...some of us turn to conspiracy theories and pseudo histories to cope.

No one is ashamed
The thread isn't specifically directed at me but...

There are a multitude of reasons...

1. A smart black person is critical and contests anything a cac teach. They have proven to be treacherous.

2. AA's lead the way as opposition to WS. Other blacks are waiting on us to bust a grape.

3. Though I don't deny there were indeed Africans imported here as slaves...I'm wondering how long it would take them TODAY with modern ships to transport the number of slaves reported.

4. To anyone subscribed to the hypothesis black people are indigenous everywhere it isn't that big of a reach.

5. Blackness comes before African in my book. Black first. A person saying they're european black no longer offends me, as I understand we're indigenous everywhere. It's not about being ashamed to be African...it just has never been 100 verified by our group the intricacies.

6. The history of this world is unsettled in the eyes of many. The victors write history, that shouldn't mean the losers history disappears nor is erroneous. We have no idea how old this planet is. For all we know there maybe evidence on Antarctica a million years older than on Africa.

:salute:

HopeKillCure

Banned
Daps
Reppin
On a queue
Because they secretly want white people to like and accept them.

These nikkahs dream of being tolerable to white people like the Indians and Hispanics while having a “other” black group that they can join cacs in trying to subjugate and be racist towards.

im_sleep

Superstar
Daps
Even Kdot on this bullshyt
I really ain’t fukked with his music as much after I heard that line.

Cold thing about it, a lot of folks looked at that as a sign him being “woke”, not even realizing they’re co-signing some shyt that viciously denies our actual heritage.

I know on here we talk about how much in the minority this train of thought is, but when you consider “consciousness” being a thing now, this shyt can spread like wildfire cause at the end of the day them dudes are out here putting in work, whether it be in the prisons, on the streets, in music, in social media.

Now how much do you see being pushed in regards to linking AA’s with our root African cultures and connecting the dots so the pseudo bullshyt doesn’t stick? Outside of academia and a few conscious circles not so much.
:francis:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
They were Black people in America pre-columbus. How is that hard to grasp? Except you believe that Black people never created the wheel prior to cacs coming to buy slaves.:mjpls:

What is black? Because these people sure didnt call themselves black.

:mjlol:

India is a land of black people but yall dont see them as your brothers
:russ::mjlol:

EndGame

Superstar
Daps
Because they secretly want white people to like and accept them.

These nikkahs dream of being tolerable to white people like the Indians and Hispanics while having a “other” black group that they can join cacs in trying to subjugate and be racist towards.
Can you explain how saying we are indigenous to America would make cacs accept and like us, you moron?

EndGame

Superstar
Daps
What is black? Because these people sure didnt call themselves black.

:mjlol:

India is a land of black people but yall dont see them as your brothers
:russ::mjlol:
I don't know wtf you are talking about and I don't care :yeshrug:

im_sleep

Superstar
Daps
Can you explain how saying we are indigenous to America would make cacs accept and like us, you moron?
The same reason mulattos, quadroons, etc. were able to pass as “Cherokee” and “Blackfoot” and marry into many white families without scrutiny.
:mjpls:

“If you’re Black stay back, if you’re brown stick around...”