Who would you choose to replace Tony Khan as head booker of AEW?

TheSuperkick!

The Ultimate Madness!
Supporter
Daps
I'd love to have the job myself. But only if I could trim the fat on the roster.

My pick would be Paul Heyman like he was back in 03 on SD! He wouldn't be in charge of front office stuff, but he could put together a damned good wrestling experience. But let's be honest, it wouldn't really work because some people wouldn't want to play along. Too many egos involved.

Who else is out there, Hogan? Bischoff? Please no! Cornette hates everyone and everything. Dusty is gone. Al Snow? Sting?

:yeshrug:

Jesus H. Christ

I died for your sins
Daps
intro-import.jpg

He's familiar with a lot of talent in AEW. Plus I'm not giving up on my dream faction "Terra Squad". :ohlawd: Let's face it. This guy is going to get fired soon with Endeavor in the rear view mirror

Reality Check

Keepin' it 100
Daps
intro-import.jpg

He's familiar with a lot of talent in AEW. Plus I'm not giving up on my dream faction "Terra Squad". :ohlawd: Let's face it. This guy is going to get fired soon with Endeavor in the rear view mirror

He's a lifer there, don't think he'd ever join another promotion, even if he was fired.

TheAlbionist

All Star
Daps
Reppin
London
I think TK is overrated and underrated as a booker - there's a charm to him being a wrestlenerd who has the money to make his own dream matches come true, but he's not a storyline guy and storylines are what sell those dream matches to people who have different dreams.

If I was going to replace him I wouldn't look to the wrestling industry honestly - keep a couple of important old-heads in there as advisors on the actual wrestling, but I'd go out into the TV writers market and look for people who've led in reality TV and/or long-form drama recently.:yeshrug:

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps
I think TK is overrated and underrated as a booker - there's a charm to him being a wrestlenerd who has the money to make his own dream matches come true, but he's not a storyline guy and storylines are what sell those dream matches to people who have different dreams.

If I was going to replace him I wouldn't look to the wrestling industry honestly - keep a couple of important old-heads in there as advisors on the actual wrestling, but I'd go out into the TV writers market and look for people who've led in reality TV and/or long-form drama recently.:yeshrug:
TK can be as a matchmaker can be outstanding, and as a wrestling nerd he really cooks up some fantastic matches - and some bad ones, but everyone books some bad stuff.

But the other aspects of booking is where he struggles so mightily. You pair him with some people that can write and you could have a real stew cooking if they can agree to work cohesively to achieve a goal instead of one being like "I want to do this, now you go figure out how to make it work and report back to me"

TheAlbionist

All Star
Daps
Reppin
London
TK can be as a matchmaker can be outstanding, and as a wrestling nerd he really cooks up some fantastic matches - and some bad ones, but everyone books some bad stuff.

But the other aspects of booking is where he struggles so mightily. You pair him with some people that can write and you could have a real stew cooking if they can agree to work cohesively to achieve a goal instead of one being like "I want to do this, now you go figure out how to make it work and report back to me"

Yeah, agree - almost treat Tony as the target fan rather than the boss.

I'd like to see someone (maybe AEW, could be Impact) take the Lucha Underground route and build up more of a cinematic universe... in-ring promos, run-ins, "dream matches"... there's only so much you can do to differentiate from WWE who are difficult to touch in that format... the smaller companies have to start moving sideways a bit IMO.

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
Would be incredibly tough to get someone. Anyone in wrestling that has booking experience booked a dumb Indy. Best choice would probably be Konnan tbh.

Probably check out who was head writer or booker for Lucha underground and see what he’s doing.

Freddie prince jr maybe.

Most likely id see what top showrunners in Hollywood are in the doghouse and offered them the job.