Who was a better player: Brandon Roy or Carmelo?

When Healthy, In There Prime, Who Would You Want?

• Brandon Roy

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • Carmelo Anthony

Votes: 56 70.9%

• Total voters

-{J03c00L}-

MITCH DID IT!
Daps
Reppin
SoCal
I would take B-Roy easily. he just has a better all around skill set that not too many players possess in the league today. good post/topic.

Daps
Reppin
Oakland CA
you nikkas are caught up with stats too much and dont watch how a player impacts a team. When B-Roy lefts Portland they became a NBDL team.

Better Shooter? Melo
Midrange Game? Roy
Better Defender? Roy
Better Facilitator? Roy
Better Rebounder? Roy
Better Teammate? Roy
Bigger Name? Melo
Clutch? Even

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
Being a winner doesn't necessary means that you win rings.
But that's exactly what being a winner means. That "he plays winning basketball" phrase is yet another cliche the sports media has ran into the dirt. Winning basketball is basketball that wins, period. Ewing, Malone, Stockton, Barkley etc are going to be remembered as great, legendary players, not winners. I see this more and more nowadays. Players being ranked ahead of other similarly talented players for regular season wins and going a round or two further in the playoffs without actually winning anything. Battier's a winner cause he won a National Championship, not because of the way he plays.

If we subscribe to the "winning basketball cliche" and said player never actually wins something, is it fair for me to conclude that "winning basketball" is a nonsensical phrase? I'm not even going at you man, I just hear the phrase all the time and its always bothered me.

As for the actual thread, B Roy's two best season's are barely better than Melo's two or three worst.

GreatestLaker

#FirePelinka
Daps
^^^
As far as being the better closer goes, you could go either way, they were both top 5 imo, and I don't dispute Roy being the better playmaker either. I can't say Melo don't have heart, dude tries on the defensive end but lacks focus sometimes. he's a pretty consistent man on man defender, it's his team defense that's shaky, but I think it's because he's been under 2 coaches who don't really seem to have any defensive philosophy whatsoever.
They are probably even when it comes to taking the last shot. But Roy made better decisions with the ball at the end of games. Melo knows one thing, too shoot, but Roy would always make the right play. Whether it was a pass or a shot.

AITheAnswerAI

Ethereous one
Supporter
Daps
You're comparing a more well rounded player to a 1 on 1 player...i'd take B Roy honestly.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
you nikkas are caught up with stats too much and dont watch how a player impacts a team. When B-Roy lefts Portland they became a NBDL team.

Better Shooter? Melo
Midrange Game? Roy
Better Defender? Roy
Better Facilitator? Roy
Better Rebounder? Roy
Better Teammate? Roy
Bigger Name? Melo
Clutch? Even

Melo and Roy's midrange game was pretty close, and Melo's the better rebounder. You need to put a poll up though, the more I think about this, the closer this seems.

GreatestLaker

#FirePelinka
Daps
But that's exactly what being a winner means. That "he plays winning basketball" phrase is yet another cliche the sports media has ran into the dirt. Winning basketball is basketball that wins, period. Ewing, Malone, Stockton, Barkley etc are going to be remembered as great, legendary players, not winners. I see this more and more nowadays. Players being ranked ahead of other similarly talented players for regular season wins and going a round or two further in the playoffs without actually winning anything. Battier's a winner cause he won a National Championship, not because of the way he plays.

If we subscribe to the "winning basketball cliche" and said player never actually wins something, is it fair for me to conclude that "winning basketball" is a nonsensical phrase? I'm not even going at you man, I just hear the phrase all the time and its always bothered me.

As for the actual thread, B Roy's two best season's are barely better than Melo's two or three worst.
Chris Paul never won. Are you going to call him a loser? It takes a team to win. You can play winning basketball, but never win anything, because your teammates weren't good enough. That doesn't make you less of a winner than someone like a Shannon Brown, who won two rings, by doing nothing, but being on a great team. Are you really going to argue that Brown is a winner, but Paul isn't one?

Malone and Ewing definitely aren't winners. They were both known for their choking.

Hersh

Superstar
Daps
he said player.. melo is better. broys was dope but it's not close prime to prime... broy was top 3 sg(making him round top 20-15) ...melo was a top 10 player..

Daps
Reppin
Oakland CA
Melo and Roy's midrange game was pretty close, and Melo's the better rebounder. You need to put a poll up though, the more I think about this, the closer this seems.

When I say mid-range game, I just dont mean getting the ball from 15 and shooting every time.

I'm talking about a post up game, the ability to pass from a double team when in the post, the ability to finish around the basket

remember B-Roy was much more athletic than Melo, people dont know this, but Roy had a 36-38 inch vertical.

Don't get me wrong, I like Melo, he's a very good player, but he's not a superstar in my eyes. and alotta people's eyes.

GreatestLaker

#FirePelinka
Daps
Just because you grab more rebounds. That doesn't mean you are the better rebounder. Roy played the 1 and 2. Melo plays the 3 and 4. He should grab more rebounds.

GreatestLaker

#FirePelinka
Daps
he said player.. melo is better. broys was dope but it's not close prime to prime... broy was top 3 sg(making him round top 20-15) ...melo was a top 10 player..
Roy was top 10 at one point. Easily. Melo is more talented, but Roy was a better player.

Hersh

Superstar
Daps
If u compare joe Johnson to melo.. who u got? broy was just a bit better than Johnson... he probably would have ended up better than melo but i don't think we got to c broys prime.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just because you grab more rebounds. That doesn't mean you are the better rebounder. Roy played the 1 and 2. Melo plays the 3 and 4. He should grab more rebounds.

I know this, I said it because I think Melo does a good job of fighting for position and boxing out his man, I'm pretty sure he's one of the best rebounding small forwards in the league statistically. Nothing against B Roy there though, he was one of the better rebounding 2 guards in the league too.

Daps
Reppin
SoFla
So Roy in his prime was as good as Wade now? I loved dudes game but the revisionist history in this thread is disgusting.