Who else here is MIDDLE PASSAGE BLACK

Are you directly here because of the original African Diaspora?

• Total voters

kayslay

African American Princess
Daps
There seems to be a certain group of people on both sides who are determined to continue the emnity between Africans and African-Americans. I wonder who taught us that.
Seems to me that you keep attempting to silence this conversation instead of objectively adding to it.

JoeClair

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
The Big Apple
Seems to me that you keep attempting to silence this conversation instead of objectively adding to it.
Or I'm doing both. We have much greater than issues than whether others are pretending to share our struggle. Issues like, you know, our struggle. And that isn't it.

kayslay

Daps
I can see why many feel that way. I just don't think it should continue on either side. Especially not now.
Why shouldnt it continue?
Are you AA ?
Or I'm doing both. We gave much greater than issues than whether others are pretending to be part of our struggle. Issues like, you know, our struggle. And that isn't it.
How can you fight a struggle with people who dont identify with you or give a damn about your struggle though?
how are you sure we have "common enemies"?
Nothing is wrong with you feeling how you feel but you need to listen twice as much as you speak.
If you look back in history youll see that our failure to form a concrete identity and code for our people has ALWAYS been our BIGGEST downfall.
Let non AAs speak for themselves.

JoeClair

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
The Big Apple
Why shouldnt it continue?
Are you AA ?

How can you fight a struggle with people who dont identify with you or give a damn about your struggle though?
how are you sure we have "common enemies"?
Nothing is wrong with you feeling how you feel but you need to listen twice as much as you speak.
If you look back in history youll see that our failure to form a concrete identity and code for our people has ALWAYS been our BIGGEST downfall.
Let non AAs speak for themselves.
My father is African and my mother is African-American. I'm Black.

When you say how can we fight a struggle with people who don't identify or give a damn about you, who are those people? If you mean Africans, I disagree. They are fighting the very same people.

kayslay

Daps
My father is African and my mother is African-American. I'm Black.

When you say how can we fight a struggle with people who don't identify or give a damn about you, who are those people? If you mean Africans, I disagree. They are fighting the very same people.
No they arent.
Africans have their own identity, culture, and motivators that are different from AAs.
This isnt some African VS AA beef this is simply an acknowledgement of the fact that we have our differences.
Being youre a product of two different cultures you know damn well how much anti AAness is ingrained in immigrant culture!
So i really dont know why youre in here being obtuse.
Were you raised in an African,AA or mixed cultural environment?

JoeClair

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
The Big Apple
That's a good question because my parents did their best to expose me to everything. I traveled all over, went to Africa extensively and also lived with my grandparents in NC for three years. Sure there was friction between the two sides at times but that happens in all families and my parents really provided a loving home so what can I say?

It's crazy because this is really the crux of the matter. Family. Africans and African-Americans share the same ancestors. It wasn't that long ago. And even today, you can still find the cultural similarities. Our oppressor here made it a point to remove us as far away as possible from that ancestry. That lack of identity as you pointed out is what is hurting us today. We can't shun our roots.

kayslay

Daps
That's a good question because my parents did their best to expose me to everything. I traveled all over, went to Africa extensively and also lived with my grandparents in NC for three years. Sure there was friction between the two sides at times but that happens in all families and my parents really provided a loving home so what can I say?

It's crazy because this is really the crux of the matter. Family. Africans and African-Americans share the same ancestors. It wasn't that long ago. And even today, you can still find the cultural similarities. Our oppressor here made it a point to remove us as far away as possible from that ancestry. That lack of identity as you pointed out is what is hurting us today. We can't shun our roots.
Who said anything about shunning our roots?
My family has been in AMERICA for over 300years all sides of my family are AAs.
Who of the two do you suppose "lack" identity?
You are really exposing you true thoughts.
I have cultural similarities with white Anerican are they family too?
Why is it so hard for you to acknowledge the fact that AAs are our own people and have our own culture.
Why do people have such an obsession with linking us to Africa?
I love how you keep conviently excusinf the Black immigrants who actively disassosiate with AAs and on their anti AA culture.
When do you plan to call them to task and give them this same condescending speech?

Last edited:

JoeClair

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
The Big Apple
Who said anything about shunning our roots?
My family has been in AMERICA for over 300years all sides of my family are AAs.
Who of the two do you suppose "lack" identity?
You are really exposing you true thoughts.
Come out of your feelings. Yeah, I'm "exposing" my thoughts. Why do you think I'm posting? And I said shunning our roots, do you disagree?

WaveGang

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What exactly isnt true about my statement?

It's called global white supremacy for a reason.

AA's have a bad habit of thinking they're subjected to a different kind of oppression than other global blacks.

The projects set up to help Black children have been replaced with multicultural/urban agenda. There's no such thing as Jamaican school in the UK.

kayslay

Daps
Come out of your feelings. Yeah, I'm "exposing" my thoughts. Why do you think I'm posting? And I said shunning our roots, do you disagree?
In my feelings? Thats laughable since you cant objectively answer any of my questions because you have an African father.
You cant make a rebuttle without blaming this white boogie man.
When tribalism has plagued the continent for millennias.

Just for your information AAs dont lack identity our issue with non AAs isthe condescending ass attitudes as expressed above.
I really dont get this obsession with non AAs claiming we lack identity just because we dont identify with them.

kayslay

Daps
It's called global white supremacy for a reason.

AA's have a bad habit of thinking they're subjected to a different kind of oppression than other global blacks.

The projects set up to help Black children have been replaced with multicultural/urban agenda. There's no such thing as Jamaican school in the UK.
This isn't the struggle olympics.
Please reread for context.
This is a conversation about AA identity and culture not underprivileged UK Caribbeans.
Non AAs have a bad habit of telling AAs how they should feel about their oppression and trying to trivalize it.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps

It is global but the closer you are to it, the more the oppression is overt.

Only the people in places like Colombia or Brazil can relate to the Black American experience, so it is a very different kind of oppression.

There are tons of videos on the net of Islanders and Africans talking about how immigrating to America opened their eyes to how salient race is and why AAs are how we are as a people.

WaveGang

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I

Just for your information AAs dont lack identity our issue with non AAs isthe condescending ass attitudes as expressed above.
I really dont get this obsession with non AAs claiming we lack identity just because we dont identify with them.

Generalise much?

I'm not African american and I can identify with the same thing. It's a common rhetoric in the Black British community for Blacks with direct African heritage to resort to making remarks like Caribbean blacks are slave babies, have no language, culture etc - in jest.

As I said in my previous post, some AAs have a bad habit of thinking the buck of discrimination starts and stops with them.

Less than 10% of the Africans taken as slaves went to modern day USA. Bare that in mind when you make these mindless comments, it is very offensive