Who else got a Roku?

KevCo

Bond's gun spoke once....
Daps
Reppin
The Weird Side
My roku 2 has major buffering issues with plex...kinda sucks...im sure its my slow ass connection tho.....but any hints etc i could try to make it work a lil more effeciently?

abominable1

the fukkery, the sweet ,sweet fukkery
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@RGM
try lowering the video quality in settings

could also be your pc

probably the PC ( and the router and the speed of the network)

I switched out all my main equipment earlier this summer

Bought a Octo core PC with 8GB of ram for $459 from Geeks.com the week it closed . I think it has a 1GB video card as well

then I got a gigabit lan router thast also has 450 MBPS wireless with 2 bands so I have all the Roku's on one band and the phones and tablets / Laptops on another
I have Plex & Playon running on this one.
I immediately noticed the difference

Plus I am going to take my Dual core PC that I upgraded from and make an HTPC out of it to put XBMC on and hook it up to the main TV.
Once my contract with dish runs out I am going to up the speed on my Package to like 12 MGBPS - I think that's the highest I can get in my area.

I even took a CAT 5 cable and ran it from my router to the ROKU just to see the difference between the wired and the wireless
Started a movie from Icefilms with the plex plugin on the roku in Like 10 seconds. Wireless takes about 30 to 35, sometimes longer if the wife is streaming as well.

KevCo

Daps
Reppin
The Weird Side
probably the PC ( and the router and the speed of the network)

I switched out all my main equipment earlier this summer

Bought a Octo core PC with 8GB of ram for $459 from Geeks.com the week it closed . I think it has a 1GB video card as well

then I got a gigabit lan router thast also has 450 MBPS wireless with 2 bands so I have all the Roku's on one band and the phones and tablets / Laptops on another
I have Plex & Playon running on this one.
I immediately noticed the difference

Plus I am going to take my Dual core PC that I upgraded from and make an HTPC out of it to put XBMC on and hook it up to the main TV.
Once my contract with dish runs out I am going to up the speed on my Package to like 12 MGBPS - I think that's the highest I can get in my area.

I even took a CAT 5 cable and ran it from my router to the ROKU just to see the difference between the wired and the wireless
Started a movie from Icefilms with the plex plugin on the roku in Like 10 seconds. Wireless takes about 30 to 35, sometimes longer if the wife is streaming as well.
Props man...think ill hook up my other devices like tablets on another network...isnt a huge deal cause i use my apple tv in the living room....but was getting piss the fukk off at my roku last night tryna watch a movie...

KevCo

Daps
Reppin
The Weird Side
try lowering the video quality in settings

could also be your pc
Thanks, i use a mac tho, but it could be the age(even tho it works great i just figured out ive had the thing damn near 5 years) ill def try lowering the video settings...like i said, my connection is pretty flabby and sick...

porque

Boricua Guerrero
Daps
Reppin
Philly #ByrdGang #TPC
Thanks, i use a mac tho, but it could be the age(even tho it works great i just figured out ive had the thing damn near 5 years) ill def try lowering the video settings...like i said, my connection is pretty flabby and sick...

I mean if the tv isnt a huge 47"+ tv then you dont really need the high quality video settings

still looks great

I use a 5 year old mac pro as an HTPC

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
Ok, I've decided to make this splurge to see whats good. I tried to hold off til the XB1 dropped so I could test out the TV features. But my month is up and I"m not about to pay another $150 just so I can see what TV from the future looks like....
:to:
I already called to make the switch. Fios wouldn't let me downgrade without paying a fee. But I could leave them and not pay shyt (there loss) so I'm about to be on a different service on thrusday. Whats odd is Fios already cut my internet.. it won't work on my desktop. but it works for my laptop :ohhh:
And every youtube video you guys post, all I seed is the verizon lady saying the service is disconnected

But everything else works flawless... even downloads :shaq:

Does cox hate on ppl downloading stuff coli???

We Ready

The Malarkey Cutter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Indiana
When watching movies on Plex they keep stopping and displaying the message "unable to play video, make sure the server is running and has access to the video"

What causes that? What's weird is over the weekend it was happening to me down in the basement but my wife and kids were using the other roku upstairs and watching a movie on plex with no interruptions.

To be clear though, this has happened to me too when I'm only using one roku.

abominable1

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@RGM
When watching movies on Plex they keep stopping and displaying the message "unable to play video, make sure the server is running and has access to the video"

What causes that? What's weird is over the weekend it was happening to me down in the basement but my wife and kids were using the other roku upstairs and watching a movie on plex with no interruptions.

May need to get a wireless signal repeater.
You can find them on eBay for like $20 for a 300mbs repeater
But if you have a dual band router. The 5 GHz repeater is more expensive
For some reason my signal is really great only on one side of the house.
Or. If you have an extra old wireless -N router laying around. You can go on YouTube and see how to convert it into an access point.

We Ready

The Malarkey Cutter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Indiana
May need to get a wireless signal repeater.
You can find them on eBay for like $20 for a 300mbs repeater
But if you have a dual band router. The 5 GHz repeater is more expensive
For some reason my signal is really great only on one side of the house.
Or. If you have an extra old wireless -N router laying around. You can go on YouTube and see how to convert it into an access point.

The roku I'm having problems with is like 15 feet from the router. I'll look into it.

abominable1

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@RGM
We Readst: 6253755 said:
The roku I'm having problems with is like 15 feet from the router. I'll look into it.
That is odd .my router is upstairs and on one side of the house upstairs and down the signal is excellent. Or it may be like one of my earlier posts and time to max out the hardware. Good luck my friend! But once you get it right:ohlawd::salute::shaq:

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

Try going into your Roku app settings and changing the Transcoder settings. I had the same problem as well. Change it from Universal to Legacy or from Legacy to Universal to test and see if it's working for you.

We Ready

The Malarkey Cutter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Indiana
Try going into your Roku app settings and changing the Transcoder settings. I had the same problem as well. Change it from Universal to Legacy or from Legacy to Universal to test and see if it's working for you.

Where is that?

*Edit

That was just me thinking out loud, I'm sure I can find it when I get home and mess with it.

Last edited:

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Where is that?
Open up the Plex app in Roku and go here...

Preferences > Advanced Preferences > Transcoder

Mine was set on Universal and it would stop the movies for some reason while I was watching them. Once I switched it to Legacy it's been working fine. I'd say change that setting from whatever it's displaying right now to the other setting and see how it goes.