Who Afraid of The Big Bad Wolves? - The Walking Dead Season 6

Sterling Archer

Spider Mane
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Shane was just too far ahead of everyone else in the "IDGAF survival at all costs" department. If you notice the rest of the group is just now reaching that way of thinking the past couple of seasons...especially Rick. It was great for one character in the beginning because everyone has someone else to call the badguy but now everybody is getting their hands dirty.
Exactly how I see it as well.

see i disagree. yeah, rick has definitely shifted more towards shanes way of thinking; but he still isn't as selfish and shortsighted. take the last episode for example. how do you think shane would have handled the quarry situation? ricks plan, although dangerous, and costing plenty of lives; was a better long term solution. he successfully got thousands of walkers out of their backyard.
See I think this is where we disagree. You see Shane as selfish in saying that he only cared about Lori and Carl where Rick cares about the group which is true but their dynamic WITH the group is not the same. Rick did not have to deal with the things Shane did from the group once Rick showed up. They interacted totally differently and is the EXACT reason why Shane is more indifferent to the rest of the group, due to how they treated him after all he had done for them up to that point. The only one mentioning it was Andrea by that time when Shane was already the "badguy". I understand what you are saying though. Just keep that in mind. Shane was taking risks for people that were ungrateful to him and judgmental while Rick wasnt. I think that matters on how he views them.

Rick was quite the selfish one in S2 himself. He didnt care about Hershel for any reason other than taking care of the baby when it was born. That changed by S3 but Rick explicitly stated this in S2. He also told Hershel that he wasnt gonna leave no matter what he said. Rick said he wouldve killed Otis as well to both Shane and Lori and under no circumstances would Rick have the group in danger with the walkers in the barn and no guns if it wasnt for needing Hershel to deliver the baby. Thats just as selfish as anything Shane had done. In fact you could say Shane going into the FEMA trailer for Carl is more selfless than wandering the woods for Sophia. One is with certain perils and the other seemed just like something to do while they waited around in Hershel's yard.

Sterling Archer

Spider Mane
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
rick woke up 3-4 weeks into the apocalypse. they were basically having a long camping trip in the hills, with no real threat to their safety. glenn driving the challenger with the alarm going off gave up their location to the walkers.

i'm just saying if i were in that world, i would rather be in ricks group than shanes group.
Ok cool. I wasnt sure how long it had been. But to say that there was no real threat because their campsite hadnt been overrun until Rick came is not to say that there was no threat that they encountered at all. Just not at the campsite.

Fury616

www.illdust.com
Daps
Reppin
( o Y o )
yeah that was cool of shane, i'm not saying he was useless. although i didn't like shane sacrificing otis, when otis had already saved shanes life twice. but shane never encountered any real threats to the group. lets take the governor situation for example. i'm 100% certain shane would have gleefully offered up michonne to save his own ass.

as for the barn, you're right. shane was 100% right. but what's not being acknowledged is rick wanted to live on the barn, and he didn't want to make a heel out of the only guy with medical experience, to help his pregnant wife.

iunno why y'all ride so hard for shane. dude fukked his bestfriends wife, tried to raise his kid, and wanted to kill him out of spite. these are the type of nikkas y'all would follow?

I agree on most points but I don't think Shane would have had a "sit down" with the Gov at all. Whatever the Gov was offering he probably wouldn't have given zero fukks unless it involved Lori or Carl. LOL But I do think he was the perfect "love to hate him" character that the group needed in order for everyone else seem clean and wholesome. Tired of rehashing this since dude is maggot food anyway.

marcuz

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Exactly how I see it as well.

See I think this is where we disagree. You see Shane as selfish in saying that he only cared about Lori and Carl where Rick cares about the group which is true but their dynamic WITH the group is not the same. Rick did not have to deal with the things Shane did from the group once Rick showed up. They interacted totally differently and is the EXACT reason why Shane is more indifferent to the rest of the group, due to how they treated him after all he had done for them up to that point. The only one mentioning it was Andrea by that time when Shane was already the "badguy". I understand what you are saying though. Just keep that in mind. Shane was taking risks for people that were ungrateful to him and judgmental while Rick wasnt. I think that matters on how he views them.

Rick was quite the selfish one in S2 himself. He didnt care about Hershel for any reason other than taking care of the baby when it was born. That changed by S3 but Rick explicitly stated this in S2. He also told Hershel that he wasnt gonna leave no matter what he said. Rick said he wouldve killed Otis as well to both Shane and Lori and under no circumstances would Rick have the group in danger with the walkers in the barn and no guns if it wasnt for needing Hershel to deliver the baby. Thats just as selfish as anything Shane had done. In fact you could say Shane going into the FEMA trailer for Carl is more selfless than wandering the woods for Sophia. One is with certain perils and the other seemed just like something to do while they waited around in Hershel's yard.

what all did shane do to deserve this level of reverence? shanes group left the city when SHTF and had a threatless camping trip. after glenns group got overwhelmed in downtown, shane wasn't even going back for them. shane never came anywhere close to all the threats rick has had to deal with over a 2.5 yr span.

and i agree and disagree on the hershel thing. yeah, you can say his motivations were partially selfish. however, if shane had his way, he would have killed hershel and took over his farm. even though hershel was the only one that knew how to grow food.

all i'm saying is in a hypothetical situation where rick dies in the hospital, i don't see shane lasting anywhere near this long.

marcuz

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I agree on most points but I don't think Shane would have had a "sit down" with the Gov at all. Whatever the Gov was offering he probably wouldn't have given zero fukks unless it involved Lori or Carl. LOL But I do think he was the perfect "love to hate him" character that the group needed in order for everyone else seem clean and wholesome. Tired of rehashing this since dude is maggot food anyway.

i mean, it would have never played out that way cus shane would have never went to rescue anyone the governor kidnapped :heh:

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
there was no solidified leader at the beginning. even if you do want to assign that role to shane. he was only leader for what, 3 weeks? they hadn't really been through shyt during that time period. as for "shanes group" you mention that they saved rick, but shane was ready to abandon glenn, andrea, amy, jacque, merle, t-dawg, etc. he had no leadership capabilities. if rick didn't come back with a bag of choppers, there's a good chance most of them would have died.

as for the flu, i credit rick because if shane had his way, he would have killed hershel (the manwho saved everyone) and taken over his farm. he certainly wouldn't have risked his ass to find antibiotics/medicine for those who were sick. also keep in mind, shane wanted to go to fort benning--a place that was already overrun with zombies. as for saying shane was about the group, they did everything to showcase that shane was selfish. he didn't care about the group, he cared about lori and carl, that's it.

and you say "risk everything to save a cat," but if it were you or your daughter somewhere lost or overwelmed by zombies. who would you really want in charge, rick or shane?
Stuff like Rick goinh to save Darryl from the governor, letting michonne in on having guns last season or the hospital scenario most likely go a different way with Shane . Rick cares about how people and for whatever reason inspires loyalty trust and respect . Shane didn't . That's life though just having survival skills doesn't mean people are going to blindly follow you

marcuz

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Stuff like Rick goinh to save Darryl from the governor, letting michonne in on having guns last season or the hospital scenario most likely go a different way with Shane . Rick cares about how people and for whatever reason inspires loyalty trust and respect . Shane didn't . That's life though just having survival skills doesn't mean people are going to blindly follow you
speaking of daryl, i don't even think he would be in shanes group. only reason rick won over his loyalty is because rick was willing to go back to downtown to try to rescue merle. shane was basically like "fukk him :yeshrug: "