Which is harder, hitting an 100mph baseball pitch or returning an 100mph tennis serve?

Which one is harder to hit?

• 100mph Tennis Serve

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • 100mph Baseball Pitch

Votes: 45 78.9%

• Total voters
Daps
It would be easier to return the tennis ball for the simple reason that you wouldn’t be scared of getting hit by it.

It takes a long time to not be scared of getting hit by a baseball, now imagine one coming at 100 mph. Your first thought would be on bailing, not swinging the bat.
Fear is certainly a factor, but it's not an overrulling one.

Here's how I see it -

The average person does not have the skill to do either, however, what is more likely for the average person to get lucky to where they can accomplish either action?

Hitting the baseball.

If only for the fact it requires fewer actions to do. Not to b*stardize the skill of actually hitting a 100MPH pitch, but you only have to swing in a stationary position to make contact with the ball. Now, like I said above, no average person has the skill to do that, but they could get lucky if they just happen to swing the bat at the precise moment the ball is the vicinity of that action. If only by luck and absolutely nothing else.

Now, actually returning the same speed tennis serve is another thing, altogether.

It's not just a matter of standing in a stationary position and hoping to get lucky by hitting it, which again, would be entirely luck for the average person to do. The homie @sportscribe just dropped a dope story about his pops-in-law (avid tennis player, himself) who played a former pro, and said he was hearing the serves, but didn't see the balls. Which goes to show, the same degree of fear might not be present, but what hope do you have of ever hitting it if you can't see it (and that's the perception of someone who plays tennis)?

To actually hit a tennis serve you have to move x-amount of feet across the baseline to anticipate where the ball is going to bounce up from within the service box. Meaning, not only do you have to anticipate the location at which the ball is going to bounce up from, but you've also got to move your feet in that direction - that requires another factor of luck that isn't present in hitting a baseball, where the ball merely has to travel within strike zone.

Now, the differentiator here is, hitting the tennis ball back over the net and landing it in-bounds. That is something which goes beyond luck and you'd need skill to pull off. You'd have to have the appropriate amount of touch to swing the raquet to get the ball over the net and in-bounds. It's not a matter of just swinging the raquet, hitting the ball and magic happens when the ball goes back over the net and lands within the singles lines. You actually have to have control over hitting it, which if you've ever hit a tennis ball, if you swing as hard as you can without control, the ball is going to end up in the bleachers.

The landing space is much smaller on a tennis court than it is on a baseball field.

The average person would find it hard to even make a tennis serve, hitting it over the net and landing it within the service box, merely because they don't know to control the ball. Now just imagine the average person trying to control a tennis ball that's travelling at 100MPH.

R=G

Street Terrorist
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
I used to play baseball. Eye hand coordination...hitting a baseball that fast is serious business. Tennis is more endurance.

CHICAGO

Vol. 9: Trapped
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
People who think hitting a baseball is "just standing in the box" really have no clue about timing and swing mechanics and coordination.
Why the hell am I still so shocked that so many of you know jack shyt about sports...on a sports forum?

:snoop:

:mjgrin: TRY AGAIN

AS I SAID A FAT fukk
CAN STAND THERE AND SWING A
BAT....

YOU ARENT TRACKING DOWN
A TENNIS BALL LET ALONE
KEEPING IT IN BOUNDS.

AS @Gil Scott-Heroin POINTED
OUT EARLIER YOU HAVE TO
ACTUALLY KNOW HOW TO HIT
A TENNIS BALL JUST TO
KEEP A SERVE IN PLAY LET
ALONE RETURN A SERVE.

THE COUPLE OF TIMES
I TRIED TENNIS I WAS HITTING
THE DAMN BALL
ALL THE WAY OVER THE CAGED FENCE.
:devil:
:evil:

NkrumahWasRight Is Wrong

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Uncertain grounds
Most decent high school boys teams have at least one player that can serve 100 or close to it and I'd say at least 50% of their starting lineup can return one of those serves in the court quasi decently every so often, even if it's by chance

A player with good hands could block the return back if it's high enough especially

Not every 100 mph serve is built the same. Theres more variance than a 100MPH fastball. While that makes it harder to predict, it's also harder to execute as the server. The toss being off by a millimeter could result in the serve being out of reach vs on the sweet spot with the right timing by the returner

The string bed alone allows for more lucky outcomes than the cylindrical shape of the bat. Also the returner can stand very far back where they cannot in the batters box

Once it gets up to 120 or so though then that is different story

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Yeah, a more appropriate comparison would be a 100mph baseball pitch vs. 130-140mph tennis serve, because then the reaction time needed to hit both balls would be similar.

Not at all.

One hundred 140 plus serve is nuffin to even 80 mph over the plate in baseball.

I used to have a world class return game in tennis.

Professional Challenger level skill easy... till I had my daughter two decades ago and had to hang it up as a prospect professionally.

Alternatively.....

Take me to any cage over 65.
we leaving damn near contact-less in a batting cage.

shyt i can pitch un low seventies and no hit general nikkas on the beach to high school players pitching.
hutting a pitch on an imtermediate level is god given.

take me to any mechanical ball machine
or some god tier tennis player.
All to return and ya boi will be black andre agassi frfr.

Even making contact on a baseball.
Versus someone popping high sixties is resulting in an OCERLY HUMBLING EXPERIENCE.

art barr

I went to high school and personally know a nikka from the hood drafted to the majors.
My high school produced a top three draft pick in 1994.

The difference between that player and anyone else.
was a wish on the north star.

Art Barr

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I'm going to say returning the tennis serve would be harder for the average person. You need a forehand, back hand, good hand eye coordination, anticipation and athleticism to be able hit a moving target while moving yourself to return a serve.

Hitting a baseball isn't easy either, but there are a lot less variables that are in play compared to returning a fast serve.

FukkaPaidEmail

Retired Hoodrat whisperer
Daps
Reppin
The Diaspora
Hitting a baseball. Small ball,smaller tool.

Just the mechanics of a tennis swing makes it easier ..add in the fact it hits the ground and slows makes it an easy choice

big bun

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
And one of my best friends briefly played on the pro tennis circuit after high school. I asked him about returning 100 plus mph serves and he told me all he did was stick his racket out to return serve because that’s all you really can do. Once he returned the serve he would carve his opps up.

CHICAGO

Vol. 9: Trapped
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO

DOES DAVID ORTIZ HAVE A BETTER CHANCE
AT RETURNING A 100+ SERVE
THAN DJOKOVIC HAS HITTING
A 100 MPH FASTBALL?

THERES YOUR ANSWER.

:devil:
:evil:

Richard Glidewell

Superstar
Daps
You can get a racket on a serve at a very high percentage effective or ineffective..........even the very best hitters only make contact at most 30 to 40 percent of the time......