Whenever You see another black person out in public....

MikeyC

The Coli Royal Rumble Champion 2019
Daps
Reppin
London
Where I'm from, if you acknowledge another person, it's either because:

A: You know them

B: You wanna fukk them

C: you wanna fight them

:yeshrug:

yardman

Mad movements!
Daps
Reppin
Whitehall
depends on the vibe. Cuz you may be around a bunch of white folk and think son is down...yet give you a :why: when you :salute:

That shyt's embarassing.

That shyt happened to me a few times. But after I explained to em they'd give me "I never thought about it that way:ohhh:." It's usually teenagers that respond that way.

notPsychosiz

I started this gangsta sh-
Daps
Reppin
dogbornwolf
Just came back from the post office. I have a wild 5 to 6 inch fro, blackfist pick, red backpack. Black warm-up pants, grey tank top.

While there another black person nodded to me in line. Older black dude, casually dressed. I nodded back.:jawalrus:
But... While I am in line at the post office, I am on a $400 phone, several custom wrapped brown packages going out, holding my business credit card.

On the way back (I rode my bike, didn't drive) I nodded to a black guy in a suit walking down the street.
I'm wearing the same gear and rockin the same fro, but now I'm on my bike and my phone is in my pocket out of sight and I have my headphones on.
So instead of nodding back, this suit-n-tie house nikka fronts on me and ignores me... but like on some pretend he didn't see me tip. All scary like.
:stopitslime:

Kinda wanted to stop and ask him where he was going, but I was tired from the bike ride there and back.

Red backpack... red bike... Its actually for motorist visibility, but I bet if I had stopped he would of shyt his pants and been late to fetch cofee for his white boss.

:mjlol: Some dudes is clowns. You gotta pick who you acknowledge.

notPsychosiz

I started this gangsta sh-
Daps
Reppin
dogbornwolf

Stanley a c00n. His whole story arc.

He fronted on dude, can't play b-ball for shyt, just wants to cheat on his black girl and eat himself fat and die from diabetees.
:pacspit:

Darryl from the office is that dude though. Not taking shyt from the manager, moving up the ranks getting promoted, starting his own company, fukking with the sexy indian chick when nothing else is cracking.

YES she is sexy. :birdman:

PhonZhi

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atl, Ga by way of Alabama
travel to some 95% cac towns, seeing another black man is like :obama:, I remember when I was in ukraine and I saw a african brotha on the street I was like :gladbron:
u aint neva lied!! ive been driving trucks for the past year and its made me realize how much more comfortable i am when im around my own people. I go to some of these places where you just know there's little to no blacks and i get really uncomfortable. I look in car after car after passing car trying to see a black person. Ive had convos with other black drivers and they feel the same. Its like a huge relief when i finally do see another black person.

Knuckles Red

<3<3<3
Daps
u aint neva lied!! ive been driving trucks for the past year and its made me realize how much more comfortable i am when im around my own people. I go to some of these places where you just know there's little to no blacks and i get really uncomfortable. I look in car after car after passing car trying to see a black person. Ive had convos with other black drivers and they feel the same. Its like a huge relief when i finally do see another black person.
Imagine living that life from the time you were a child to young adulthood. Thats where I am right now in my life (and what inspired me to make this thread). All my life I've been around nothing buy cacs. Sarcastic, subtly racist, ignorant, boring cacs. I would have KILLED to grow up in a black suburb, gone to a black private school...AND BEEN AROUND BLACKS. And honestly its one of the reasons (one of the many reasons) why I harbor so much resentment to my parents. Its like, didn't they care, or think about the psychological effects, growing up in predominately white area, would have on me?

Tommy Knocks

retired
Daps
Reppin
iPaag
I live in asia of course we do. mandatory.

98%, there is a 2% of :mjpls: tho, usually AAs, prolly thinking I'm african and assuming they're special (again its only 2% because most AAs can spot each other effortlessly), but they just get filed into the c00n files, stored for later. Kenyans and Ghanaians ALWAYS give the dap. Happiest black folks around, if I see teeth they must be from Kenya or Ghana. White folks, somethings wrong with them, they walk past each other like they're brutal enemies or like one or the other isn't supposed to be there, shyt be mad awkward, but in retrospect they can't even seem to master the dap or head nod back home either so :mjlolz:

Tommy Knocks

retired
Daps
Reppin
iPaag
do you guys nod up or down? i noticed i'm more inclined to nod up at a white person, and down at a black person.
up. moms taught me never to 'lower' my head to no one. its why even in japan I struggle to bow back, its programmed since childhood.

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
Imagine living that life from the time you were a child to young adulthood. Thats where I am right now in my life (and what inspired me to make this thread). All my life I've been around nothing buy cacs. Sarcastic, subtly racist, ignorant, boring cacs. I would have KILLED to grow up in a black suburb, gone to a black private school...AND BEEN AROUND BLACKS. And honestly its one of the reasons (one of the many reasons) why I harbor so much resentment to my parents. Its like, didn't they care, or think about the psychological effects, growing up in predominately white area, would have on me?

That's crazy bruh. I actually feel bad for suburban Blacks that grew up like you having to deal with cacs from a young age on. I wouldn't trade me growing up in a predominantly Black neighborhood & school for anything fam.

Brofato

Fade Doe
Daps
I wonder if white people realize when we do this :lupe:

Like, the way we dap each other up is common knowledge by now, but the obligatory head nod still feels like a secret among brothers. :leon:

You can tell off top if someone isn't the type to reciprocate or acknowledge. You've got lost blacks from the suburbs in a lot of colleges who will try and treat you like a bytch around white people who may not even be their friends.. they also tend to link with black kids who are similar to them.

They've realized. I've seen several jokes asking if all black folk know each other.

do you guys nod up or down? i noticed i'm more inclined to nod up at a white person, and down at a black person.

I don't nod up to white men ever. Seems to be only them that nod and the women generally smile.

There's a difference between the white man and black man nod though. With the white man, it's generally just acknowledging that you're both men. With the black man, it's that and we're in this together. This can be especially felt when in a highly white area.

I just realized that I might've offended a lot of people though because I speak low as shyt and I'm usually caught off guard when dudes speak instead of nod. I know some of them might not have heard me.

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
Do you feel obligated to acknowledge them? Like if you see another black dude walking past do you nod your head out of respect to the struggle? I always feel obligated for some reason. It can get pretty awkward.

I lived in dallas back in 02, I remember anytime another brother seen me it was a immediate:myman::obama: on sight, gave me a good sense the brotha knew the deal with he cacs and how to move in these kkk streets.

Then I came back to florida:to: and it was a immediate :mjpls::bryan::takedat: on sight, no loyalty just bytch ass nikkas with no daddy flossing to fukk the hoes, what the hoes want these bytch nikkas will follow:scust:

Smh....:mjcry:

cam>

All Star
Daps
It's such a shame this is a tradition some black folks choose to let die.

It's a tiny gesture, but it enriches black life.

There's a reason our elders did this.

Nodding or greeting another black person, letting them know you see them; it engenders a sense of community, it's a reminder of shared experience, that there's mutual respect, that others may not genuinely respect us but we at least respect ourselves, that you aren't judging them and assuming the worst about them, that you wish them the best.

Now we've got a growing generation of black folks who are too nervous, defensive or detached to simply say whatup.

Fillerguy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey
I first picked up on the "nod" when I was interning at the NJ state house. That first day I walked into the staffers room, full of cacs and indians, this fat Black dude across the room I didnt know gave me the nod.... I felt so close to the breh :mjcry:I wasnt nervous anymore. After that I realized we do it all the time in predominately non-Black areas.

The nod is the best way to spot out the c00ns. They dont respond to it.

Last edited:

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
non black people get the head nod cuz looking someone in the face and not acknowledging em always felt rude to me :ld:

but when i see my people :myman: it's all love
tumblr_na4qmz0tnR1tvlsaeo1_500.gif

no hyperbole, i prolly dapped up like 5 black people (old and young) just the other day walkin down the street :manny: asked em if they were doin good and alladat, gotta put that good karma out there cuz you never know who some people are and the connects they might have, i've gotten let off the hook on multiple occasions by random black cops for that :whew: