When Is The Superhero Bubble Gonna Burst?

ReallJc

Pro
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Nah. They fit the action blockbuster formula perfectly. It's easy to draw source material from comics. Plus it isn't like comic book films are a new thing. They've been around since the 60s.

Oh & i think the reason superhero movies have become so popular isn't because comic-book superheroes have become mainstream as such. It's because people love power fantasies, which has been the main draw for popular action movies for decades.

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
No time soon. Super-Hero movies operate at insane profits and even some of the flops go on to have relative critical acclaim. Plus you can essentially hire the same pool of actors and film multiple franchises at once.

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Lowkey, I've only kept up with the X-Men Franchise and somewhat The Dark Knight:ld:

...haven't seen Iron Man/Spiderman/Avengers, and the gazillion other:cape: flicks

Now, I'll proceed to take that L:francis:

Daps
Reppin
NYC
video games will replace it. but not until infinity wars crushes the buildings

Last of Us, Metal Gear Solid, etc will get it bubbling

you know they will make a pokemon movie. too much guap for them to pass on.:manny:

but which version will we get? :patrice:

disney's lighthearted adventure flick in the spirit of the cartoons?

warner bros. dark and gritty interpretation that also doubles as a commentary on class systems and animal rights?

or maybe they get michael bay to produce it and we get racist bulbasaur!!! :krs:

TKOK

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Sactown
i think if it's gonna burst it'll be with some of the smaller characters not turnjing in a fantastic profit or being flops. people will still come for the big event movies like BVS,Avengers,Justice League and things of that nature.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
I suspect things will slow down for Marvel/Disney after Infinity War. Some of their biggest stars (Downey Jr. and Evans) will probably leave, and they have to build towards a new major event. They'll push a whole bunch of movies and shows to make up for it, but without the star and character power. I mean, I'm fukking happy we're getting a lot of properties making it to the screen (both small and big screen) but of those currently in development, only Dr Strange and Black Panther are characters that can really carry the MCU on their back the same way Iron Man and Cap do (maybe Captain Marvel if they pull off miracles with her movie).

DC/WB is in tough water because they're relying a lot on Zack Snyder for their main movies (Batman v Superman, Justice League) and that poses a huge risk because Snyder isn't that well-rounded as a film maker (loosely translated; if it isn't testosterone-fueled fist bumping action, or literally copying the look of the source material, he has no clue what he's doing). It's the 'thinking out of the box' projects like Suicide Squad and Shazam that will most likely provide the most interesting movies of the bunch currently in development.

Don't get me wrong, they'll all be making billions and laughing all the way to the bank but the upcoming years will definitely be a test of how much weight the 'bubble' can handle. Especially with the amount of summer (and now winter) blockbusters continuing to rise as well.

Last edited:

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
I can see it get boring if the movies are not innovative.

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
I think its time we ACTUALLY have this discussion.
  • Dc is ice cold, they havent recovered, and aquaman 2 will probably do 30% of its original
  • Marvels is on track to be the biggest comic bomb of the entire mcu run
  • Antman 3 underperformed and was critically panned
  • Loki 2 has a fraction of the buzz that almost any of the previous d+ shows regardless of its quality.
  • Daredevil disney redux is apparently a disaster
  • The marvel d+ shows keep getting worse…secret invasion was abhorrent.
  • Guardians 3 was successful but slightly less than 2 and was about as independant from the mcu as can be
  • Nobody gives a shyt about the sony spiderman offshoots, kraven is DOA
  • I have no idea nor is there any real buzz about blade, thunderbolts, or Captain America new world order brave new world, I doubt 2/3 of those ever come out (I literally just found out they changed the name of Captain America). All 3 have offbrand directors
  • Spiderman is about the only thing legit hot rn
Its not the industry. John wick, mario, avatar, barbie, oppenheimer, spiderverse 2, were all smashes. Im sure taylor swift will be too. People are going to theatres.

I think serving us birds of prey - thor 3 - shang chi - eternals - ww84 - moon knight - she hulk - flash - black adam - secret invasion just ruined our intereet. What is anyone even looking forward to other than spiderverse 3? Deadpool? The xmen movie that aint ever coming out at this rate?

Outside of spiderman and deadpool…this shyt might be done until x-men. Its popped.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think its time we ACTUALLY have this discussion.
  • Dc is ice cold, they havent recovered, and aquaman 2 will probably do 30% of its original
  • Marvels is on track to be the biggest comic bomb of the entire mcu run
  • Antman 3 underperformed and was critically panned
  • Loki 2 has a fraction of the buzz that almost any of the previous d+ shows regardless of its quality.
  • Daredevil disney redux is apparently a disaster
  • The marvel d+ shows keep getting worse…secret invasion was abhorrent.
  • Guardians 3 was successful but slightly less than 2 and was about as independant from the mcu as can be
  • Nobody gives a shyt about the sony spiderman offshoots, kraven is DOA
  • I have no idea nor is there any real buzz about blade, thunderbolts, or Captain America new world order brave new world, I doubt 2/3 of those ever come out (I literally just found out they changed the name of Captain America). All 3 have offbrand directors
  • Spiderman is about the only thing legit hot rn
Its not the industry. John wick, mario, avatar, barbie, oppenheimer, spiderverse 2, were all smashes. Im sure taylor swift will be too. People are going to theatres.

I think serving us birds of prey - thor 3 - shang chi - eternals - ww84 - moon knight - she hulk - flash - black adam - secret invasion just ruined our intereet. What is anyone even looking forward to other than spiderverse 3? Deadpool? The xmen movie that aint ever coming out at this rate?

Outside of spiderman and deadpool…this shyt might be done until x-men. Its popped.

Marvel got way too comfortable after endgame. They’d be in a much better position if they would have gone straight into Fantastic Four after endgame. That way they could have built up Doom, Galactus, the Silver Surfer, and secret wars—all fan favorite characters/stories.
Black Panther first appeared in the pages of Fantastic Four… they could have used the FF movie to bring in a T’Challa variant to keep the black excellence rolling.

Reed Richards would have been useful from a narrative perspective because he would be able to explain the multiverse and break it down in a way that makes sense to the audience. Quantumania and Eternals lowkey should have been Fantastic Four movies.

Getting back to my point, Marvel doesn’t have a linchpin character or team right now that they can build around.
Spider-man could have been him, but Sony is still clinging to the rights. Disney buckbroke Thor. Hulk is a pointdexter now. Chadwick Boseman (Black Panther) passed away. Dr. Strange is a side character in his own movies. The Avengers and Guardians both split up. They need a linchpin character/team.
The FF are linchpin characters who would have done a lot more to push the MCU forward towards major storylines that will be an actual draw for audiences.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Eagle, Colorado
The super hero discussion is tough to have because some of the reasons I think the latest crop has failed I do think has to do with them trying to pander and its tough to really into a discussion of that without sounding like a right-wing incel.

I think it's hard to disagree that some of the novelty has warn off. We used to get one or two a year vs every action movie being the same quippy superhero garbage.

Disney oversaturated the market.