When did the myth that andre 3000 is better than big boi start

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
:beli:

Nobody in their right mind would argue that, they ain't even the same genre. You're talking about songs that came out a decade after 'kast first single, everyone else is talking about 'kast actual run. Specifically their first 3 albums, before the mainstream really caught on.

And yes Big Boi kept the Outkast name alive but you're acting like that factors into how the group was seen in the 90's.

I don't even know what the thread is about any more. It went from "was Andre considered better than Big Boi?" to "was Big Boi a sidekick and/or garbage?". The two got nothing to do with each other. Some of you are acting like if Dre is better than Big Boi, it means Big Boi is just a weed carrier or something.

Fred.
Bro. I said out my own mouth Dre is the overall better rapper. And that my problem is the rhetoric that Big boi wasnt important and Dre was end all be all for the group. nikkas try to treat him like the sidekick on some Havoc shyt and that's not right. I don't see how a legitimate Outkast fan could stand for some shyt like that. shyt is wrong. nikkas tryna act like Andre WAS Outkast. That's wrong.

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
I'm far from a weirdo and I've ALWAYS thought that Andre was the superior MC. Big boi definitely DID NOT have a better flow. At times big boi was sounding like silk the shocker. Andre held it down and was the stand out talent
I'm not saying everyone who liked Andre is a weirdo I'm saying he didn't get this status as the superior by far of the two until the Internet weirdos took over. I love Andre too.

And the second part of Big Boi being like Silk is so outlandish it's not even worth debating.

delnegro

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's funny that everybody from outside NYC has a story about a "NY nikka" but act like heads were confined to their 4 block radius, not going out of town or to different states and feeling different regions music. Also, radio & media outlets are not indicative of the pulse of NYC as a whole musically, anyone that tells you different is lying. With that said, as someone who frequented the south during the 90's, discussed Hip Hop on the regular with southerners and northerners alike, I NEVER heard anyone explicitly put Dre over Big Boi. Now you would hear "Oh Dre killed this one or Boi killed this one...". But for the most part they were looked at as a group. And the top 5 GOAT discussions which is absurd, I didn't see until the internet. One person said it to me in person a few years ago...a broad from Atlanta.

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
I can't believe this thread is still going.

Big Boi is now the more consistent member? Every single Andre verse on Outkast albums are fire. Big Boi was outchea sounding like he had a stammer on some porky pig ish from time to time.

Point me to to Big Boi's 'Sasha Thumper' moment. Explain to me why Dre's one full rap song on The Love Below absolute obliterates the entire Speakerboxxx. Why come I know Dre's verse on Hollywood Divorce and can't even recall Big Boi on it?

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Andre:

Big Boy, on the same album:

Both equally skilled.

TheColi_zpsbtse4dmh.gif

Fred.
You're way better than this. Come on man.

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
It's funny that everybody from outside NYC has a story about a "NY nikka" but act like heads were confined to their 4 block radius, not going out of town or to different states and feeling different regions music. Also, radio & media outlets are not indicative of the pulse of NYC as a whole musically, anyone that tells you different is lying. With that said, as someone who frequented the south during the 90's, discussed Hip Hop on the regular with southerners and northerners alike, I NEVER heard anyone explicitly put Dre over Big Boi. Now you would hear "Oh Dre killed this one or Boi killed this one...". But for the most part they were looked at as a group. And the top 5 GOAT discussions which is absurd, I didn't see until the internet. One person said it to me in person a few years ago...a broad from Atlanta.
THIS A MILLION TIMES OVER!!!!

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Bro. I said out my own mouth Dre is the overall better rapper. And that my problem is the rhetoric that Big boi wasnt important and Dre was end all be all for the group. nikkas try to treat him like the sidekick on some Havoc shyt and that's not right. I don't see how a legitimate Outkast fan could stand for some shyt like that. shyt is wrong. nikkas tryna act like Andre WAS Outkast. That's wrong.

Breh if the first line is how you feel, the fukk are we arguing about?:dwillhuh:

The thread is talking about "was Andre seen as better than Big Boi?" That's it. I been checking the thread on and off since it started, I don't know at what point it morphed into "Big Boi was garbage and Andre carried him".

Fred.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
Breh if the first line is how you feel, the fukk are we arguing about?:dwillhuh:

The thread is talking about "was Andre seen as better than Big Boi?" That's it. I been checking the thread on and off since it started, I don't know at what point it morphed into "Big Boi was garbage and Andre carried him".

Fred.
If u look between the lines of the thread. He was basically asking since when was Dre seen is this overwhelmingly better rapper than Big Boi. And in the prime of their careers. It wasn't like that. And I stand by that. I don't know noone who was sayin that shyt and if people were it damn sure wasn't how it is now.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
This is EXACTLY what I been saying. Literally from point to point. I have damn near the same stories. I was down south EVERY year thru the 90s.

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
This is EXACTLY what I been saying. Literally from point to point. I have damn near the same stories. I was down south EVERY year thru the 90s.
Son, thank you. Basically everyone in NY (or anywhere) have family down south. I spent every summer of my youth down south. These nikkas act like because we're from NY that we never left our stoop.

Reactor1804

You either build or destroy.
Daps
Reppin
1804/NY 2 BR
Outkast has always been 1 of my fav groups, so I thought I'd chime in here. I don't remember anyone in real life ever saying Big Boi was better than 3K. Of course, some might rock with him on the strength that Big Boi is more consistent with dope albums and features. And while Big Boi has never been a lyrical slouch, actually he's better than most rappers out nowadays, lyrically when you compare him with 3K, Andre has to come out on top.

Billy Ocean

Divine Universal Black Man Representin'
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Lol 90's NYC is irrelevant when it comes assessing Outkast. They were listening to garbage nikkas like Group Home when Kast got booed there in 95.

Nobody with a lick of hip-hop sense ever thought Big Boi was better than Dre. No diss to Big Boi who is dope in hos own right.

N!gga, please. Where you from? Hyderabad. Pass me with that bullsh!t. Ol' NY is oblivious to everything outside of the 5 boroughs ass n!ggas. If anything it's the other way around.