WhatsApp gives users an ultimatum: Share data with Facebook or stop using the app

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
What makes signal better than telegram

You need to review your approach to the software that you use.

Telegram is bloatware (increasing attack surface), integrates with questionable social media companies (FB + others) , has had issues with their security algorithms in the past, advertises (personalised).

Look at the wiki page. 90% of their work on there is bad news. You cannot allow social media log ins and claim to be serious about privacy. Why? Because of the relationship network diagram that can be built from that.

Try wickr or signal for a while and see.

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
At its core, it is. But, you cannot search random groups to join in WhatApp like you can with Telegram.

So, Telegram can do with WhatsApp does, but WhatsApp cannot do all the things Telegram can.

It's bloatware (massive attack surface), with social media integration, group chats are stored on server, they have your keys IIRC. For the purposes of messaging signal is better because it is iron clad private in comparison.

No company serious about privacy would allow social media sign-ins.

"Telegram starts to play nice with security agencies over user data, but not in Russia
Under Telegram's new privacy policy, it could hand over user IP and phone details given the right court order"
Telegram starts to play nice with security agencies over user data, but not in Russia | ZDNet

A truly secure app does need your keys, doesn't store your ID data so has nothing to "give up".

BrothaZay

Non-FBA. AdosK
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The suburbs
Only thing that makes it better is that is collects less data.

But, you're basically only chatting with people you already know.

Meanwhile, Coli brehs are on Telegram, hopping in various stock & crypto chats, learning and making money.

Telegram is basically Clubhouse without the posturing and nikkas shouting. But, it does have a new chat feature that can rival Clubhouse:

Voice Chats Done Right
Yea I fucc with telegram heavy imo it's the goat chat app. That's why I was wondering why that nikka said signal was better

Mike Nasty

Superstar
Daps
Idk but you always have the option of using a google voice or other burner phone app # to sign up with these apps
I know but I'm trying to chat with my kids without getting another plan and I'm running out of numbers

mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Underdeveloped Minds Research Institute
Yea I fucc with telegram heavy imo it's the goat chat app. That's why I was wondering why that nikka said signal was better

if you're just trying to have a secure chat with friends, Signal is a good app to use.

However, if you're trying to learn new stuff and get stock and crypto tips, Telegram and Reddit are the GOATs. :wow:

I'm made so much money off those two.

SNYC

Black American in NYC (yes, we exist 😲)
Daps
Reppin
BK & BX
What is the point of WhatsApp?

What can you do there that you can’t do from your phone?

I think the vast, vast majority of whatsapp users use it to communicate easily with people abroad. I know that's why I use it, and everyone I know that uses it has it for similar reasons.

It's a super easy platform that works the same across all devices and formats, and you don't need to have a social media account to use it.

It's an app that reaches across device/social media/age/tech know-how borders seamlessly.

My grandmother abroad who has never had a computer in her house and doesn't really know how to take a picture and send it on her phone, can use WhatsApp no problem
That....

And you were able to send high quality vids to people

:shaq:

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Do you use your phone and laptop ever on the same network?

Also apps check for other apps on your local network. Apple added an explicit permission for this in iOS14.

"You’ll see a dialog saying an app “would like to find and connect to devices on your local network” while using many apps. You only have two options: “Don’t Allow” or “OK.”"

"Prior to Apple introducing this prompt, iPhone or iPad apps could do this in the background without your permission. The scanning isn’t new—the only thing new here is the prompt."

https://www.howtogeek.com/692528/why-iphone-apps-ask-for-devices-on-your-local-network/

Get rid of everything to do with Facebook. You don't need them.
all my permissions are set up right. the only way instagram can be getting the sort of information it is getting is tracking on browser directly in my case. even network access wouldn't give such specific ad placements. I got a mac computer and droid phone... no apple ecosystem sharing.

I haven't used facebook in years and was free of them until they bought whatsapp and insta

whatsapp is essential for international communications these days... I hope they are forced to sell it.

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
all my permissions are set up right. the only way instagram can be getting the sort of information it is getting is tracking on browser directly in my case. even network access wouldn't give such specific ad placements. I got a mac computer and droid phone... no apple ecosystem sharing.

I haven't used facebook in years and was free of them until they bought whatsapp and insta

whatsapp is essential for international communications these days... I hope they are forced to sell it.

your phone can sniff on your network without you knowing about it. download programs iStumbler and wakeOnLan (or similar) and see what they show you. look at wireshark too.

use signal app rather than whatsapp ...

you use ipv6 which means that with LAN access the app and the browser can know that they are being used in the same place.

outside of the IP FB can use other methods to detect that the devices are connected. tethering, accounts used, accounts with phone numbers, other people listing your name/account + phone number somewhere.

there are a ton of companies which share data (and data map info) with FB

android / google try to track and follow everything that you do online AND offline so bin that phone and bin everything FB. their business models are about selling YOU and YOUR DATA. YOU are their product.

i dumped whatsapp and people who don't want to install signal to talk to me will just hear from me less. there are plenty of other options and that is one of the easiest to replace.

Astroslik

Veteran
Daps
Only thing that makes it better is that is collects less data.

But, you're basically only chatting with people you already know.

Meanwhile, Coli brehs are on Telegram, hopping in various stock & crypto chats, learning and making money.

Telegram is basically Clubhouse without the posturing and nikkas shouting. But, it does have a new chat feature that can rival Clubhouse:

Voice Chats Done Right
Any info on the coli group on telegram?