What's The Root's Opinion on Hip Hop?

hotbeezie

Go Dawgzz!!!!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Louisiana
Hiphop gave a voice to the voiceless and a platform to the powerless and through that cultural vehicle Black people were able to vent their pain, their sorrow, the frustration, their joy, and everything else that comes with being black in America. It's arguably the biggest cultural movement out of Black America since the Harlem Renaissance and it's influence can be felt in every corner of this earth. There isn't a country on this earth that hasn't used hiphop as a vehicle to fuel social and political change.

The power of spirit, coolness, style, and an unwavering determination to stand away from the crowd and be yourself is the soul of hiphop. And to me, that embodies the African American experience in this country. Whenever society put us on the fringes, we always gave them the middle finger and did our own thing and we always ended up creating something so powerful and moving that people couldn't deny it's impact. This is our culture and this our heritage and no matter what form it takes somewhere else in the world, it's home and it's foundation will always be Black America.

I need to update my Facebook status with this if its cool....

:wow:

Bomberman

Like a C4.
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I love the instrumentals the most about hip-hop. To be honest I've discovered I do prefer listening to singing over those types of instrumentals vs rapping. However the latter has some incredible levels of energy and adrenaline that the former rarely can get to.

Onto the aspect that can be improved:
I remember one person breaking it down really well once: hip-hop has the most words and the style has a chance to really make a difference because of what could be said. It can be practically a fly way to deliver an essay, and it's power is being misused. Of course entertainment is awesome, but it can be used for so much more.

That being said, can you imagine how awesome this would be at a festival? The crowd would be going nuts.

You bring that energy to a cause about rebelling and not trying to intimidate each other and you have a movement. Really mainstream hip-hop has a big part of rebellion to it already, except the content is directed in the wrong direction.

Last edited:

Dirty_Jerz

Ethiop
Daps
Reppin
the evils of truth, and love
It's like verbal scrolls. Orally tranfered knowledge of the black experience on earth, when done a certain way. Before there was facebook and skype etc., there was hip hop/rap. Young and old black minds alike could connect on an emotional and logical base with black men and women in different regions. Wether it be about the perennial racism of the many institutions in america or the classist aspects within the black community that may or may not need work.

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
-We (black people) need more control over the content that's being put out there.

-We need to not tolerate ignorance as much. We tolerate ignorance more than any other race. Because we find humor in it.

-Parents should really install a strong moral compass in their children. (It's never a guarantee how your child will turn out but parents can do their best.) That type of music can be liked, but it shouldn't influence their behaviors; behaviors that cause them to glorify this music. With a strong moral compass there would be a bigger appreciation/focus for the positive parts of hip-hop culture while the other stuff is put on the back burner.

Guile

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I don't like white people seeing it as only for profit and younger whites not really understanding the culture or history or even caring to while thinking they are fully embracing it by knowing the lyrics to a song. I don't think most whites really consider hip hop art.

For example, I don't think most whites will really understand the pressures of not feeling like you are supporting you family and community that Kendrick Lamar was expressing in TPAB.

NERO

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Commiefornia
Used to be our counterculture movement in the 80s similar to white's punk rock. Was about something substantial but now has been bought, sold and gutted. All about image and no longer about political and social activism.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
:francis:
one word - BALANCE!!!

there is so much variety in this hip hop shyt and yet only a certain type of hip hop is on display to the mainstream and thus the balance is off.
and whether we like to admit it or not, the image shown in mainstream is how this genre/culture is perceived/thought of by.
and perception is a mother....

This is the bottom line right here..... I love gangsta\hardcore rap, just like I loved P.E., X clan, Brand Nubians, etc......

There has always been a gangsta element in rap since the early 80s, except back then when we controlled the content that got played, their was better balance between positive, controversial, and negative lyrics.....