What's The Root's Opinion on Hip Hop?

CriticalThought

All Star
Daps
What I think is missing is the balance now days. With all the different forms of hip-hop only one is now the mainstream...the most destructive if not used properly.

I wish there was most like this out there...but I know why.

HearNoEvil

World's Nerdiest DJ
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SEA / ATX
To the OP i can agree that rappers should be more responsible with their influences however, how do we make anyone more responsible especially when their expression of irresponsibility lies in their freedom of speech if u will?

Peer pressure. As consumers we have a lot of power. If a large enough group of black people were on the same page, we could easily discourage some of rap's fukkery.

Not buying their bullshyt is a start too. Call me a hater but Young Thug flopping is exactly the sort of thing hip hop needs. A cleansing.

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
Peer pressure. As consumers we have a lot of power. If a large enough group of black people were on the same page, we could easily discourage some of rap's fukkery.

Not buying their bullshyt is a start too. Call me a hater but Young Thug flopping is exactly the sort of thing hip hop needs. A cleansing.
The problem is that blacks are not buying hip hop and records are still selling to some extent; whites especially continue to purchase hip hop at a much larger and impactful rate than us, so instead of not buying their shyt (we already don't), we need to make organizations call out rappers for spreading degrading and regressive lyrics

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
The culture is great. The problem is the gangsta rap/weed smoking/materialistic/disrespectful part is glorified and shown more than the other parts of the culture so hip-hop gets a bad rap because of it.
Its crazy that it took a new forum for us to have these great discussions. No troll talk through the replies, just honest thoughts about the state of hip hop on African Americans. Pretty much everyone who has posted is correct. I hope you all are seeing a common theme among our answers, so where do we go from here?

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
Its crazy that it took a new forum for us to have these great discussions. No troll talk through the replies, just honest thoughts about the state of hip hop on African Americans. Pretty much everyone who has posted is correct. I hope you all are seeing a common theme among our answers, so where do we go from here?

I believe that it is changing. More people are questioning the status quo openly and spilling out their thoughts about negativity. It's only right that we have a younger generation that gives the like of non ratchet artists a chance, cause it wasn't like any of this 10 years ago in 2005 when people began partying like crazy. Ever since the Trayvon Martin murder, more people are tired of important issues being swept under the rug.

Sierra Mist

Banned
Daps
-We (black people) need more control over the content that's being put out there.

-We need to not tolerate ignorance as much. We tolerate ignorance more than any other race. Because we find humor in it.

-Parents should really install a strong moral compass in their children. (It's never a guarantee how your child will turn out but parents can do their best.) That type of music can be liked, but it shouldn't influence their behaviors; behaviors that cause them to glorify this music. With a strong moral compass there would be a bigger appreciation/focus for the positive parts of hip-hop culture while the other stuff is put on the back burner.

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
-We (black people) need more control over the content that's being put out there.

-We need to not tolerate ignorance as much. We tolerate ignorance more than any other race. Because we find humor in it.

-Parents should really install a strong moral compass in their children. That type of music can be liked, but it shouldn't influence their behaviors; behaviors that cause them to glorify this music. With a strong moral compass there would be a bigger appreciation/focus for the positive parts of hip-hop culture while the other stuff is put on the back burner.
Easier said than done on all three points. First, since we are only 12% of the population and do not have ownership in the major music corporations that are international at this point, in this current capitalist system, how can we gain control over the content?
Second, I disagree that we tolerate "ignorance." What you perceive to be "ignorance" is actually caused by misinformation pumped into the minds of Americans through all mediums of communication: television, internet, magazine, billboards, fast food, etc. That goes back to the first question: in this system where we do not control the means of production nor the media, how do we alter the misinformation that produces "ignorance" in the youth?
Third, in the current economic crisis that is forcing African Americans especially to seek 2 or 3 different jobs just to have a livable wage and some type of benefits, plus the fact that school systems create and maintain ridiculousness in their curriculum and in the hallways, plus the breakup of black communities since the 1980s due to neoliberal global capitalism and deindustrialization, how do parents, ON A WIDESPREAD SCALE MIND YOU, install a moral compass that will stop kids from embracing music that is pumped in their heads day and night by corporations? In this system?

J-Nice

A genius is the one most like himself
Supporter
Daps
Hiphop gave a voice to the voiceless and a platform to the powerless and through that cultural vehicle Black people were able to vent their pain, their sorrow, the frustration, their joy, and everything else that comes with being black in America. It's arguably the biggest cultural movement out of Black America since the Harlem Renaissance and it's influence can be felt in every corner of this earth. There isn't a country on this earth that hasn't used hiphop as a vehicle to fuel social and political change.

The power of spirit, coolness, style, and an unwavering determination to stand away from the crowd and be yourself is the soul of hiphop. And to me, that embodies the African American experience in this country. Whenever society put us on the fringes, we always gave them the middle finger and did our own thing and we always ended up creating something so powerful and moving that people couldn't deny it's impact. This is our culture and this our heritage and no matter what form it takes somewhere else in the world, it's home and it's foundation will always be Black America.

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
Hiphop gave a voice to the voiceless and a platform to the powerless and through that cultural vehicle Black people were able to vent their pain, their sorrow, the frustration, their joy, and everything else that comes with being black in America. It's arguably the biggest cultural movement out of Black America since the Harlem Renaissance and it's influence can be felt in every corner of this earth. There isn't a country on this earth that hasn't used hiphop as a vehicle to fuel social and political change.

The power of spirit, coolness, style, and an unwavering determination to stand away from the crowd and be yourself is the soul of hiphop. And to me, that embodies the African American experience in this country. Whenever society put us on the fringes, we always gave them the middle finger and did our own thing and we always ended up creating something so powerful and moving that people couldn't deny it's impact. This is our culture and this our heritage and no matter what form it takes somewhere else in the world, it's home and it's foundation will always be Black America.
prolific posting :mjcry:

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
I have to disagree with you here bro and that is why I 1-starred this thread. We have had this exact same discussion in a productive and not so productive way 8 million times in the booth. I literally had the :aicmon: when I saw the thread title. You would almost be better off moving that thread for the Booth where Malice blamed hip hop for negativity into The Root and merging the two threads.

Sierra Mist

Banned
Daps
Second, I disagree that we tolerate "ignorance." What you perceive to be "ignorance" is actually caused by misinformation pumped into the minds of Americans through all mediums of communication: television, internet, magazine, billboards, fast food, etc. That goes back to the first question: in this system where we do not control the means of production nor the media, how do we alter the misinformation that produces "ignorance" in the youth?
Disagreed. We know what ignorance is. These media outlets are simply glorifying it.

How often do we sit back,and laugh plus record ratchet chicks being ratchet? Or how much do we watch dudes be straight ignorant and we know it's wrong, but it's funny? And even if it's not funny, black people love the drama. So it's tolerated.

Asians ain't feeling the Asian gangsters.
White folks ain't feeling white trailer trash.
Third, in the current economic crisis that is forcing African Americans especially to seek 2 or 3 different jobs just to have a livable wage and some type of benefits, plus the fact that school systems create and maintain ridiculousness in their curriculum and in the hallways, plus the breakup of black communities since the 1980s due to neoliberal global capitalism and deindustrialization, how do parents, ON A WIDESPREAD SCALE MIND YOU, install a moral compass that will stop kids from embracing music that is pumped in their heads day and night by corporations? In this system?
That's no excuse. If mom is busy then the father should be there. If he's not around the grandparents/uncles & aunts should step up. There needs to be a strong support system and there should always be a way to provide it.