What's The Root's Opinion on Hip Hop?

iFightSeagullsForBread

The Working Class Hero
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere in Chicago
I look at it and appreciate the culture that it was birth from, the same way I do Jazz, House and Punk to an extent.

However, I feel that when you change it, try to put artist in a corner that's where you're doing just as much damage as the corporations have based on your own wants that said artist isn't about.

I do think there should be a balance, but at the same time, you do have options besides the radio. Spotify for one. Soundcloud and Bandcamp for the hidden talents out ther.

Through me personally, I do believe Conscious Hip-Hop died on it's own if anything, that's just me.

mr.africa

Veteran
Daps
:francis:
one word - BALANCE!!!

there is so much variety in this hip hop shyt and yet only a certain type of hip hop is on display to the mainstream and thus the balance is off.
and whether we like to admit it or not, the image shown in mainstream is how this genre/culture is perceived/thought of by.
and perception is a mother....

Daps
Peer pressure. As consumers we have a lot of power. If a large enough group of black people were on the same page, we easily discourage some of rap's fukkery.

Not buying their bulls a start too. Call me a hater but Young Thug flopping is exactly the sort of thing hip hop needs. A cleansing.

I dunno. I can see where ur coming from yet dont see it being that easy to cleanse as you put it. When i was young i could fight the power with Chuck D, brag about how i got it made with Special Ed, learn some game fromToo Short, and hear lyrical wizardry as i got to know the ledge with the god Rahkim. back then we were exposed to it all and chose what was needed for what time.

I think young thug has his place and his group that vibe off of his music. Dont think its right to shut him down if he is moving the crowd. If i dont feel it then i step off.

Daps
:francis:
one word - BALANCE!!!

there is so much variety in this hip hop shyt and yet only a certain type of hip hop is on display to the mainstream and thus the balance is off.
and whether we like to admit it or not, the image shown in mainstream is how this genre/culture is perceived/thought of by.
and perception is a mother....

Im wit/u and others on balance being key. Most of the negatives we speak on in rap have always been there tho. when the emcee springboarded to the foreground as well as the growth of hip-hop's popularity, many elements were magnified including the negative ones. An emcee is giving u whats in him/her or what's around him/her. The emcee, graff writter, breaker, dj in most cases is only gonna give u what's their perspective. If their perspective is distorted so is the fruit they produce (music, lyrics, art, dance, fashion). Where balance comes in is the whole package is highlighted and not one aspect. This in many cases is not being done within rap and most def not being done in hip-hop culture. Or at least not done by the most popular media outlets. The culture of hip-hop has been and is global, alive and well. Unfortunately, many of us in America have lost touch.

BrothaZay

Non-FBA. AdosK
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The suburbs
Cacs knew what they were doing. They been planning to take over hip hop since the 90s. Why do you think truly black owned labels like Deathrow and Murder Inc were taken down? Seriously they got the fukking FBI involved to take down black owned music labels :comeon:

Yea, I know Suge did grimey shyt, but I'll bet my last paycheck that these cac CEOs have done just as bad if not worse, with their fakkit ass :scust:

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
Cacs knew what they were doing. They been planning to take over hip hop since the 90s. Why do you think truly black owned labels like Deathrow and Murder Inc were taken down? Seriously they got the fukking FBI involved to take down black owned music labels :comeon:

Yea, I know Suge did grimey shyt, but I'll bet my last paycheck that these cac CEOs have done just as bad if not worse, with their fakkit ass :scust:
Definitely

Savior

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#byrdgang
Personally Im not into it like I used to be....I own or used to own basically every classic album from the 90's and early 2000's but now? I listen to bigger name albums that are well received but dont really go out of my way like I used to. All the gangsta shyt seems so manufactured and childish now. I know not every rapper is on that but its no doubt what the execs are pushing and I dont like it :yeshrug:. Not to mention acts like Iggy or Macklemore wouldve never gotten taken seriously back in the day but thats another story. I know theres still good hip hop out there but I aint got the energy or will to look for it these days. Im still bumping my 90's shyt the majority of the time :manny:

GrindtooFilthy

World Class SuperVillain
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA, CT, NH
It was kind of on some "we made it we can do this and show off that we made it" type shyt...but how did we go from rocking African medallions and dashikis and Malcolm X hats to rocking versace and moschino? It's like that was the moment in hip hop culture "our blackness started disintegrating"...
-nikkas wanted to be like white people
-white executives thinking they could profit of our shyt
-moment you mention malcom x muhufckas be like "woah dere slow down b:whoa:"

jerome

Rookie
Daps
musically the genres becoming trash. too many rappers lack actual knowledge of music