What's The Root's Opinion on Hip Hop?

Drip Bayless

Superstar
Daps
:mjcry:
Too much gangsta rap in the mainstream and not enough variety.

Black power is basically nonexistent.

White rappers trying to cash in.

Lack of positive female rappers as well.

That's what happens when non blacks took over hip hop
If you're referring to the Jews that control the industry then, you're wrong, blacks have never controlled this industry. But you're right at least we were making efforts to reach those positions of power. But the upper echelon of the music industry is damn near impenetrable :mjcry:

HearNoEvil

World's Nerdiest DJ
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SEA / ATX
Im wit/u and others on balance being key. Most of the negatives we speak on in rap have always been there tho. when the emcee springboarded to the foreground as well as the growth of hip-hop's popularity, many elements were magnified including the negative ones. An emcee is giving u whats in him/her or what's around him/her. The emcee, graff writter, breaker, dj in most cases is only gonna give u what's their perspective. If their perspective is distorted so is the fruit they produce (music, lyrics, art, dance, fashion). Where balance comes in is the whole package is highlighted and not one aspect. This in many cases is not being done within rap and most def not being done in hip-hop culture. Or at least not done by the most popular media outlets. The culture of hip-hop has been and is global, alive and well. Unfortunately, many of us in America have lost touch.

Negative aspects of rap like glorification of gang or stripper culture may be hard to get rid of, but I see no reason we should be accepting of them.

Balance? Balance of what? Songs like Hot nikka and Coco have no business being on the airwaves at all, but it's like that because cac executives want it like that and the blacks who don't are in the minority.

Blessup

Souljah inna Jah Army
Daps
Reppin
Jah Movements
Jews are behind this negative image of blacks in hip hop. Dame dash spoke on Lyor Cohen being the reason roc-a fella broke up.

Daps
Negative aspects of rap like glorification of gang or stripper culture may be hard to get rid of, but I see no reason we should be accepting of them.

Balance? Balance of what? Songs like Hot nikka and Coco have no business being on the airwaves at all, but it's like that because cac executives want it like that and the blacks who don't are in the minority.

Im in no way saying accept what you do not agree with. Hip-hop is all about expression and giving the voiceless not only a voice but a platform. Back.in the day when rappers were wack, cats would bum rush the stage. That was the ppl voicing their opinion and squashing what they weren't feeling. Dont know if things can be done on that level since the requirements to partake in the culture are so low. Don't even need two turn tables and a mic.

as far as balance im referring to the categories of music being played. Those songs u mentioned might not have a place to you on the airwaves but someone digs em. Aint vouching for them since i dont know them but at one point the same could be said about luke and dre, spice one and many others. I dont feel its hip-hops job to give parental guideance to the listeners.

Just so we're on the same page is your critique on the music or the culture?

HearNoEvil

World's Nerdiest DJ
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SEA / ATX
Im in no way saying accept what you do not agree with. Hip-hop is all about expression and giving the voiceless not only a voice but a platform. Back.in the day when rappers were wack, cats would bum rush the stage. That was the ppl voicing their opinion and squashing what they weren't feeling. Dont know if things can be done on that level since the requirements to partake in the culture are so low. Don't even need two turn tables and a mic.

as far as balance im referring to the categories of music being played. Those songs u mentioned might not have a place to you on the airwaves but someone digs em. Aint vouching for them since i dont know them but at one point the same could be said about luke and dre, spice one and many others. I dont feel its hip-hops job to give parental guideance to the listeners.

Just so we're on the same page is your critique on the music or the culture?

A little bit of both I suppose. I understand that those type of songs are only really a reflection of the artist's environment. That's not their fault, I can't critique what you came form or grew up in. What I can critique is how irresponsible it is to expose a large number of young minds to that. You're right, these people aren't just going to stop expressing themselves just because I told them too. I don't know what can be done about this problem, I guess that's what this forum is for. What I do know is this, in no way do I condone songs with toxic messages being placed at the forefront of black culture.

Daps
A little bit of both I suppose. I understand that those type of songs are only really a reflection of the artist's environment. That's not their fault, I can't critique what you came form or grew up in. What I can critique is how irresponsible it is to expose a large number of young minds to that. You're right, these people aren't just going to stop expressing themselves just because I told them too. I don't know what can be done about this problem, I guess that's what this forum is for. What I do know is this, in no way do I condone songs with toxic messages being placed at the forefront of black culture.

And my friend that's the beauty of hip-hop, what you dont condone you can not only speak out against but enlighten people on something more. That's what i meant by balance. Aint nothing wrong with a heavy bass line to move the ladies, u need that in the club, nothing wrong with aggressive hardcore rap at times. The music enters the body and soul through the ears, we have to be careful with what we allow into our bodies. With a diet we must (should) balance it veggies, meats, bread fruit, the works. Yet and still every now and then u want a burger or sweets or beer etc. Nothing wrong with that when its balanced. When all i eat is sweets then comes diabetes. When all i eat is veggies i may lose my taste for flavor that should be enjoyed. Same with the music. Gotta put it in its proper place and enjoy what u like, skip the rest.

We (ppl who love hip-hop) have lost touch and lost influence tipping the scales by allowing those who only love the revenue our culture makes to infiltrate it. Dont feel this is irreversible but it will take a movement as powerful as the one that brought the culture worldwide in the first place.

Truth200

Banned
Daps
Jews are behind this negative image of blacks in hip hop. Dame dash spoke on Lyor Cohen being the reason roc-a fella broke up.

Your not allowed to say this on the coli, thread will get put in the bushes.

HearNoEvil

World's Nerdiest DJ
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SEA / ATX
And my friend that's the beauty of hip-hop, what you dont condone you can not only speak out against but enlighten people on something more. That's what i meant by balance. Aint nothing wrong with a heavy bass line to move the ladies, u need that in the club, nothing wrong with aggressive hardcore rap at times. The music enters the body and soul through the ears, we have to be careful with what we allow into our bodies. With a diet we must (should) balance it veggies, meats, bread fruit, the works. Yet and still every now and then u want a burger or sweets or beer etc. Nothing wrong with that when its balanced. When all i eat is sweets then comes diabetes. When all i eat is veggies i may lose my taste for flavor that should be enjoyed. Same with the music. Gotta put it in its proper place and enjoy what u like, skip the rest.

We (ppl who love hip-hop) have lost touch and lost influence tipping the scales by allowing those who only love the revenue our culture makes to infiltrate it. Dont feel this is irreversible but it will take a movement as powerful as the one that brought the culture worldwide in the first place.

But see even with your body analogy, I'm the type of person who eliminated said sweets and potentially unhealthy foods from my diet. I refuse trap music the same way I refuse chocolate cake. :russ:

I see what you're saying though, we just have alternate philosophies. Nothing wrong with that, the beautiful thing about hip hop is that it has ways to accommodate all of us.

Family Man

Banned
Daps
I grew up on it. However, that shyt is not welcomed in my home and I'll do my best to make sure my kids know what a destructive force it is.

Edub

Veteran
Daps
I love the music of our culture. :ahh:But hip hop artists have to be more responsible with their influence.

What's your take?
you're right...if they don't take better care of that influence and become more intelligent with the content it could be a lost art we reminisce about:mjcry:

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
They have to be responsible for their influence, and most are not.
We have a culture that acts as if artists should "do whatever they want" while fully aware of the effect it has on the youth.
We may have Jay Electronica, Lupe Fiasco, Joey Bada$$, Common, Kendrick Lamar (side eye for that last verse on The Blacker The Berry, though), J. Cole. Rapsody, Ab-Soul (occasionally), Nas, Jay-Z (occasionally), Kanye West (occasionally), but majority of out artists are pushing their rhymes just like drugs, for profit with no regard for the community.
The "hip-hop" culture is essentially club culture at this point, the other aspects (the dancing, the art/graffiti, the style) have been taken over by other cultures, and its sad.
I want artists to be responsible for what they put out now.