What's The Root's Opinion on Hip Hop?

Daps
Reppin
VOID
Hip hop is more than that though. Hip hop is culture.
Breakdancing, graffiti, djing, and mcing. But the Mc preceded everything and everyone else.

I miss conscious hiphop. I miss that pro black afro centric movement in the early 90s when cats were rocking cross colors and high top fades. And a different world was on NBC. Then gangsta rap took over in the mid 90s and that other style of rap died.

Like I think about this Nas line from "Doo Rags".

"nikkaz used to wear rags on they hair when it was fried up
That's when we were lied to, buyin hair products
Back before my generation, when our blackness started disintegratin
'til awareness started penetratin"

Like I think about in the mid 90s with Lil Kim wearing blonde wigs and rappers like Biggie ripping Versace and Moschino...just years later. Not even five years later.

It was kind of on some "we made it we can do this and show off that we made it" type shyt...but how did we go from rocking African medallions and dashikis and Malcolm X hats to rocking versace and moschino? It's like that was the moment in hip hop culture "our blackness started disintegrating"...

Somewhere rap and hip hop lost the culture and lost its way and it's ability to be used as a tool to change society. It already has at this point but what made it truly pro-black and pro-active? That's gone now. There's still people Kendricks Lamar and J-Cole putting that type of music out but on the level it was in the 90s? Nah it will never be mainstream like that again.

But I still enjoy hip hop these days I still find myself enjoying Immortal technique and lost children of Babylon and other rappers of the like.

Last edited:

Prynce

Daps
I love hip hop, I just wish we could stop all the colorism and self hate some of the artist spew. I lose a lot of respect for artist when they make comments like "all my bytches got real hair" or "she look better red". However that is just a reflection of african american culture as a whole I guess.

Other then that hip hop is the shiznit.

Daps
I myself will always love hip-hop. Are far too many memories that are directly connected to a song out or style etc. can only dap the others who've posted since do much resonates with me. The hip-hop culture is alive and well sadly black ppl seem to have rejected it or at least rejected many parts of it. But globally it still has the affects that it once carried. Bringing forth the light of truth through the darkness, giving the neglected a voice, uniting ppl from all walks of life with various styles, dances and lyrics.

To the OP i can agree that rappers should be more responsible with their influences however, how do we make anyone more responsible especially when their expression of irresponsibility lies in their freedom of speech if u will?

there are many things wrong with hip-hop but still many things on point. Many of the problems with rappers have always been there however, the ppl didn't migrate to the foolishness the way they do now perhaps

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
It's my culture. It's all I kno. I'm old enough to remember when it was still called a fad. Now it's the most popular form of music in the world. It shows how genius we are to be able to take something that plays music and turn it into a musical instrument. When done properly it's the most powerful music in the world

Blackout

just your usual nerdy brotha
Daps
Too much gangsta rap in the mainstream and not enough variety.

Black power is basically nonexistent.

White rappers trying to cash in.

Lack of positive female rappers as well.

That's what happens when non blacks took over hip hop

Elle Driver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
At the beginning of mean streets
Too much gangsta rap in the mainstream and not enough variety.

Black power is basically nonexistent.

White rappers trying to cash in.

Lack of positive female rappers as well.

That's what happens when non blacks took over hip hop

Depends on what you listen to.

I appreciate Kendrick Lamar putting Rapsody on "Complexion". She's a breath of fresh air. Made me really enjoy contemporary hip hop as an art form.