What's The Dirt - Drake's Family Matters Diss Actually Explained

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Yeah, he's in a lose lose situation because both sides are now expecting him to find some insane revelations. I can see his MTG video going through the same thing with both sides.

His not like us video should at least be entertaining/interesting with all the visual references

I could have sworn he said he was doing these back to back and that explains the wait because idk if he can sustain this until January at this rate

I actually like most of his videos, even it's not that special, especially if you grow up in this. But it's entertaining for what they are. I remember watching his Mobb Deep/2Pac video breakdown. He even used a post in the TheColi as a source in that video.

My biggest issue with this one was he's usually well researched, and even when he reached in the past, you can see how he got to that theory. It was typically backed by some evidence. With this, in a lot of these, it felt like he didn't like the backlash he got from Drake fans, being he's from Toronto, and tried to over correct and fished for more layers that weren't there. Kendrick wrote incredibly cryptically on 6:16 so it required an in depth breakdown of meanings for some of the bars. Relatively speaking, Family Matters was pretty straight forward. There were not many hidden messages or depth to the bars. It was just a dope ass diss record. By him trying to appear not bias, he came off as someone reaching for meaning behind things and just accepting things Drake said at face value, with very minimal evidence to back up the claims.

To put it into perspective that "6:16" breakdown was posted in the song thread as an after thought. Obviously I'm not blaming @FreshAIG for making a dedicated thread for "FM"....this thread exists because people were anticipating it. But WTD did himself no favors talking about this for months on end, doing interviews about it, etc.

Another issue is "6:16" didn't really have any landmines that a white guy from Canada would need to avoid. He's catching hell for this due to the racial stuff, and to a lesser extent speaking on gang culture. Then obviously crashing out on Twitter.

I never even watched the "6:16" break down but dude should've just dropped this video and KIM. I would not be going back and forth with anyone on social media. Least of all about these topics.

Fred.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Well It's gone down as one of the worst responses in beef history.

But like you said maybe he wanted to self sabotage and troll on his way out :russ:
I get that some people think it was one of the worst responses, but I wasn’t really talking about whether it landed or not. I was more focused on what I think Drake was trying to do. I honestly think he misinterpreted “Mother I Sober” on purpose. It felt like trolling to me, just to mock Kendrick and his fans. He was trying to get under Kendrick’s skin. Whether it worked on Kendrick directly doesn’t matter as much, because it definitely got under his fans’ skin, and in that way, it did its job. You could see how worked up they got on social media. In fact, Drake even mentioned Kendrick’s fans more than once in The Heart Part 6, so it’s not that far-fetched to think he was aiming to stir things up and get the fans all riled up. 🤷‍♂️

Jigganaut

Sick of you nigg@s
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hampton VA Pull up

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
I get that some people think it was one of the worst responses, but I wasn’t really talking about whether it landed or not. I was more focused on what I think Drake was trying to do. I honestly think he misinterpreted “Mother I Sober” on purpose. It felt like trolling to me, just to mock Kendrick and his fans. He was trying to get under Kendrick’s skin. Whether it worked on Kendrick directly doesn’t matter as much, because it definitely got under his fans’ skin, and in that way, it did its job. You could see how worked up they got on social media. In fact, Drake even mentioned Kendrick’s fans more than once in The Heart Part 6, so it’s not that far-fetched to think he was aiming to stir things up and get the fans all riled up. 🤷‍♂️
Drake’s own response shows he understood the message. He’s accusing kendrick of lying about real trauma he went through not that he’s defending his mother.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Wait this dude isn’t black?! I’ve seen him talk about “the culture” all year

Man this year has been the twilight zone
Thats what I’m saying…they got all these “outsiders” trying to gatekeep blackness on some weirdo shyt as if that entitles you to a specific opinion when they feel like its “off code"

They want Drake outta here THAT much that they’re letting non-black opinions float as long as they’re anti-Drake.

:mjlol:

This dude is out here policing all forms of black culture…FOH :dead:

:camby:

Yecht

Superstar
Daps
No. He specifically framed it that way and fed into the debunked Mediafakeout story, but waved it away by saying "it's not enough evidence to put that jacket in him :manny:"

It's clear he believes it but doesn't wanna put his neck out there to get sued

That's exactly how I took it too, fukk this guy

Chip Skylark

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Thats what I’m saying…they got all these “outsiders” trying to gatekeep blackness on some weirdo shyt as if that entitles you to a specific opinion when they feel like its “off code"

They want Drake outta here THAT much that they’re letting non-black opinions float as long as they’re anti-Drake.

Yooooo

I’m done man 🤦🏾‍♂️

Busby

Real name no gimmicks..
Daps
Reppin
San Jose, Cali

My guy…every damn Drake vs. Kendrick thread that pops up your ass always in here waving the flag for that colonizer.

You also stay putting my tweets in here like that suppose to be a dunk or something.

Keep my dikk out of your mouth and stick to politics you bytch ass nikka.

boogers

cats rule, dogs drool
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#catset
I watched nikkas go weeks gassing up "Prince outlived Mike Jack!.." like it was some dope bar. Lol. Even "what's a Prince to a King he a son nikka.." was a better flip than that "Prince outlived Mike Jack .." shyt.. lol
Simple and to the point 👌🏽

The way it almost broke your brain during the beef was hilarious though :dead:

And dot could've easily flipped that "prince to a king" line but didn't lean into it directly for some reason

Cause I see the obvious so I'm sure he does :manny:

yall really gassing up these bars like Aubrey put pen to paper and wrote them....

but yes, Drake has a very talented ghostwriter. the best money can buy, you could say.