Whats the appeal of the soulsbourne genre?

Draje

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ain’t slow relative to what exactly? :patrice: it’s a slog of a game when compared to DMC, MonHun, anything by Platinum, ninja Gaiden etc

everything I can find online says that souls fans consider ds 3 to be fast compared to ds1&2 but outside of that, it’s slow when compared to non souls games. Also armor type doesn’t affect weapon speed which is easily the jankiest part of the game. Consecutive hits with a 1h sword in ds3 is slower than 2h weapons in most good games

Because weapon swings are supposed to be deliberate and purposeful. Putting weight behind each swings makes each blow more impactful.

Same reason there is no animation cancelling. Dark Souls isn’t supposed to be a power fantasy like a Platinum Game.

Thanos

?
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Playing thru DS3 and this shyt is one of the slowest, jankiest games ive ever played. :mjlol: just like increasing enemy health isnt real difficulty, lazy design isnt either.

Increasing HP isn't real difficulty is only point I'm agreeing w/ you on. You might like Sekiro. DS doesn't even have jump button.:mjlol:

Detroit Wave

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The D
Increasing HP isn't real difficulty is only point I'm agreeing w/ you on. You might like Sekiro. DS doesn't even have jump button.:mjlol:
lowkey i do like it more based on how much of i played. its prolly cuz it has a better setting/theme. and its not slow as dirt like im piloting an Armored Core from the first game :dead:

Draje

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
U got something to say about Ninja Gaiden?:sas2:

I’ve beaten every single Ninja Gaiden on Master Ninja, multiple times. They absolutely have their flaws. NGB has a wack story, mediocre aesthetics, an over-reliance on weird platforms going that isn’t fun, some truly boring enemies (No one liked those fukking ghost fish or that weird ass laser drone platform Ing section), and done truly awful bosses. Guys like the Bed of Chaos would be an average boss in Ninja Gaiden.

NG2 also has some straight up shytty gameplay decisions like whoever decide throwing exploding shuriken, off screen with almost no tells, was a good idea.

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
I’ve beaten every single Ninja Gaiden on Master Ninja, multiple times. They absolutely have their flaws. NGB has a wack story, mediocre aesthetics, an over-reliance on weird platforms going that isn’t fun, some truly boring enemies (No one liked those fukking ghost fish or that weird ass laser drone platform Ing section), and done truly awful bosses. Guys like the Bed of Chaos would be an average boss in Ninja Gaiden.

NG2 also has some straight up shytty gameplay decisions like whoever decide throwing exploding shuriken, off screen with almost no tells, was a good idea.

WTF this cain be right, bed of chaos is woat :mjlol:

Chef

All Star
Daps
I like the challenge of it. You hit a wall, learn the mechanics, level up and beat the opponent. I can see why people don’t like it but I like the feeling you get when you get past it unscathed.

It reminds me of the Marauder from Doom Eternal. It teaches you spacing and timing while all types of crazy shyt goes on around you.

FloorGeneral

I don't even know anymore...
Daps
Reppin
Packerland
The 'challenge' is kind of misleading IMO. Once you play your first game long enough, you figure out how to play them, and they're not so challenging anymore. For better or worse, they have their formula (roll, R1...roll, R1), and stick to it. The fanboys (and critics) eat it up, but there's no real progress. It's the same shyt over and over. Which is one big reason why Elden Ring is whatever to me.

I enjoyed Bloodborne (my first, incidentally) immensely, and played (and liked) DS 1 and 3. What changed? I played Nioh. I dove into Nioh, and it showed me how slow and lackluster the FromSoft games are combat-wise. Fair or not, Nioh and Nioh 2 have straight ruined other games for me. I went back to BB and it felt like a slog. When Sekiro (L2 Simulator) came out I gave it maybe a week and went back to Nioh. They're just...boring.

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
The 'challenge' is kind of misleading IMO. Once you play your first game long enough, you figure out how to play them, and they're not so challenging anymore. For better or worse, they have their formula (roll, R1...roll, R1), and stick to it. The fanboys (and critics) eat it up, but there's no real progress. It's the same shyt over and over. Which is one big reason why Elden Ring is whatever to me.

I enjoyed Bloodborne (my first, incidentally) immensely, and played (and liked) DS 1 and 3. What changed? I played Nioh. I dove into Nioh, and it showed me how slow and lackluster the FromSoft games are combat-wise. Fair or not, Nioh and Nioh 2 have straight ruined other games for me. I went back to BB and it felt like a slog. When Sekiro (L2 Simulator) came out I gave it maybe a week and went back to Nioh. They're just...boring.

nioh is cool but its repetitive and cheesy on anyhing beyond ur first play thru. I played the shyt out of it dont get me wrong but trying to the do the underworld and depths with some builds is damn near impossible.

souls is simpler but its more finely tuned where u can clear new game plus 8 and shyt with anything…

Nvm nioh story and music pales in comparison.

Actually I meant specifically nioh 2. first nier was terrible:mjgrin:

homiedontplaydat

Omniversal Guardian
Supporter
Daps
Its hard to explain, but once u "get it" these games are some of the most addictive ever made.

All of them probably won't click with u immediately so try more than one b4 u declare u don't like them. I couldn't get into Bloodborne, but Demons Souls opened my eyes to how these games work.

Elden Ring is a day one cop for me:noah:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
nioh is cool but its repetitive and cheesy on anyhing beyond ur first play thru. I played the shyt out of it dont get me wrong but trying to the do the underworld and depths with some builds is damn near impossible.

souls is simpler but its more finely tuned where u can clear new game plus 8 and shyt with anything…

Nvm nioh story and music pales in comparison.

Actually I meant specifically nioh 2. first nier was terrible:mjgrin:

I honestly hate Nioh’s loot system and the enemy variety sucks