What Went Wrong with Derek Luke?

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
lol...ok. that's why, they had a scratch pad and he was the only one left. um no, he was a newer face who was making/had made a name :facepalm:
Chadwick was actually cast as Black Panther before Chiwetel joined the MCU as Doctor Strange's sidekick. They could've cast Chiwetel as BP or had both audition (or whatever) but they went straight to Boseman due to his performances/critical acclaim in his biopics. Ppl at the time were debating whether Marvel should go with Chad, Chiwetel, Aldis etc but Fiege came out and said Chad was their no.1 choice from jump. :manny: I have no complaints about it, he's a great actor.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
I'd say Donald Glover is surging. Playing Lando, being Miles Morales uncle in the MCU and voicing Simba as the lead of the Lion King are some good building blocks. But it kinda depends on what type of lead roles he may get offered, if any.

I think Chadwick is in a "Chris Evans" type spot right now: well respected actor who largely sticks with more serious (but perhaps under the radar) roles while finding his perfect niche (serious acting + big hollywood payday) playing an iconic superhero.

Finn is an embarrassment but Boyega made the right choice picking Star Wars over Terminator Genisys. It opened up the doors for him and now it comes down to if he made the right follow-up choices. Pacific Rim 2 is probably do or die; if it at least makes bank overseas like the first one did or, best case scenario, also does well domestically this time around, then he's set. He'll have this as his go-to franchise as a lead + he'll likely get other big budget action roles thrown at him. If it flops, he may be regulated to whatever he was in that tom hanks/emma watson flick.

I think MBJ is surging as well. Him and Coogler have a nice partnership going on and if Creed 2 does well then i think it'll be a combination of Coogler getting even bigger budget offerings to direct films and MBJ also getting lead roles for the block buster/popcorn action flicks.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
he got black panther because idris, chitwetel, Mackie were already in the MCU, MJB was with fox and they needed an actor with moderate work put in but was still a relative fresh face. Not because they were impressed with his filmography lol. And if 42 or get on up couldn't even nab him spirit award noms what are we talking about here

technically he was in the mcu he played gabe jones

JerseyBoy23

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Essex County, NJ
He's dealing with the same problem black female singers who aren't Beyonce and Rihanna are dealing with. Hollywood likes to only give mainstream exposure to certain types at a time.

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
He was never going to be a Denzel or Will:gucci: But he's got a good solid B level acting career going.

I think Lakeith Stanfield got next:sas2:

King Poetic

The D.O.G.( Disciple of God)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Executive Chair Of The West
Him and other black actors need to do more writing. Do more indi films and once in awhile get a role in a big movie

Wesley snipes after falling off went into more writing and doing direct to dvd movies

Cuba gooding another one.

When i leave work and go past certain Hollywood audition locations u have 200 blacks fighting for 1 part where they play a bell hop

JahBuhLun

Graphic Alchemist
Daps
dude did his thing for a long time

antoine fisher was 2002... he's 43 now.. he wasn't gonna be the man forever... after that he was in about 2 movies every year until 2011.. for a black actor that's amazing

some of them he was good in... friday night lights, captain america, miracle at st anna, notorious... and he's been in another 7 since 2011

pretty good career
Bruh should've got nominated for Antwone Fisher. I said it on here before that it was better than Moonlight.