What Went Wrong with Derek Luke?

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
dude did his thing for a long time

antoine fisher was 2002... he's 43 now.. he wasn't gonna be the man forever... after that he was in about 2 movies every year until 2011.. for a black actor that's amazing

some of them he was good in... friday night lights, captain america, miracle at st anna, notorious... and he's been in another 7 since 2011

pretty good career

WesCrook

Veteran
Daps
Corey Hawkins (Dr Dre). He was excellent in "Nonstop" w/Liam Neeson

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He's a black actor that came into the business around the same time as a lot of other guys. He's talented but we all know how Hollywood gets down.

They only allow a few black actors to shine at a time. He's also one of those black actors that's really particular about what roles he takes on. He's not trying to do any c00ning.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Low key while everyone looking at Chadwick as the hot new thing, I see buddy from Atlanta, who played Snoop, was the nose bleed dude in Get Out, and the black L in Death Note low key on the come up.

Martha
I said it at the time, breh is gonna be the next great character actor. His roles are so different. He shouldnt aim at being a headline guy because he can get more parts and win more awards being a character dude. (Lakeith Stanfield)

As for Derek Luke, he made bad choices and black actors do not get many chances. He a working black actor now, and nothing is wrong with that. He is still paying the bills.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I liked Biker Boyz. There's nothing wrong with that movie
ehhh, that's not the type of film you follow antwan fisher up with. :francis: i mean look at his filmography since his debut :patrice:
Derek Luke (actor) - Wikipedia

michael b jordan is just an ok actor to me, but i'll be damned if he hasn't played every step right since leaving the wire. nice (yet overlooked) role on FNL, just an ok role (TBH) in a critically acclaimed social film (fruitvale station), then some superhero shyt, some "mainstream romcom" for the white girl approval, then another lead role in the rebirth of a flagship series (creed), followed by another blockbuster comic movie...dude hasn't missed a step :wow:

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
ehhh, that's not the type of film you follow antwan fisher up with. :francis: i mean look at his filmography since his debut :patrice:

michael b jordan is just an ok actor to me, but i'll be damned if he hasn't played every step right since leaving the wire. nice (yet overlooked) role on FNL, just an ok role (TBH) in a critically acclaimed social film (fruitvale station), then some superhero shyt, some "mainstream romcom" for the white girl approval, then another lead role in the rebirth of a flagship series (creed), followed by another blockbuster comic movie...dude hasn't missed a step :wow:
Fantastic Four was a huge misstep, but he came away from that unscathed. (that entire cast did)

Other than that, he has kept a good trajectory.

Derek Luke just made bad choices.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
other than panther what dope movie has he got upcoming?:mjgrin:cuz that thurgood Marshall project isn't likely to make money
a lot of critically acclaimed "oscar caliber" movies don't make money. blockbuster movies are not where you prove your chops as an actor, they're where you go to become a star. dude has been praised for almost all his performances regardless of the film being a big money maker or not. leo is one of the few actors i can think of to consistently star in big films that also let him act his ass off.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Fantastic Four was a huge misstep, but he came away from that unscathed. (that entire cast did)

Other than that, he has kept a good trajectory.

Derek Luke just made bad choices.
i dont think FF was, i mean the movie was panned, but as you said, people didn't blame the cast and it upped his exposure

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
i dont think FF was, i mean the movie was panned, but as you said, people didn't blame the cast and it upped his exposure
The brother and sister storyline was goofy.

It didn't work but they all weren't affected as everyone realized the studio only made the movie to keep the film rights.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga

Fantastic Four was a HUUUGGGEEE misstep he just had the good fortune he was already in demand so one flop (that wasn't his fault) wasn't going to kill him.

Biker Boyz was a good movie. Not great by any means, but a solid black racing flick, it certainly wasn't a career killer. Hell his career isn't even on the decline, he's a solid working actor who still books gigs he's just not THAT dude, and we all know that Hollywood isn't going to let but a certain number of black men be amongst the elite. Hell besides he obvious Will Smith/Samuel L. Jackson/Denzel trinity what newer black actors are really popping?

MJB
John Boyega
Chadwicke Boseman
Idris Elba

Idris and Chadwicke are both in their forties and were grinding for YEARS in television and small movie parts before they blew up. MJB had been grinding as a child actor for years before The Wire and FNL helped blow him up. That leaves only John Boyega as a "new" face on the rise.

Derek Luke either didn't have the chances (through agents, management, etc) or didn't have the desire to be in that category.

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
a lot of critically acclaimed "oscar caliber" movies don't make money. blockbuster movies are not where you prove your chops as an actor, they're where you go to become a star. dude has been praised for almost all his performances regardless of the film being a big money maker or not. leo is one of the few actors i can think of to consistently star in big films that also let him act his ass off.
What I meant was no one will see it so it will be like it never existed. He's played Jackie Robinson and James fukin Brown and barely anyone knew who he was nor did it raise his profile. It wasn't until civil war that heads turned. This latest movie will fall at the wayside like most of his projects. So this idea he's the hot new black star is laughable