What Went Wrong with Derek Luke?

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Fantastic Four was a HUUUGGGEEE misstep he just had the good fortune he was already in demand so one flop (that wasn't his fault) wasn't going to kill him.

Biker Boyz was a good movie. Not great by any means, but a solid black racing flick, it certainly wasn't a career killer. Hell his career isn't even on the decline, he's a solid working actor who still books gigs he's just not THAT dude, and we all know that Hollywood isn't going to let but a certain number of black men be amongst the elite. Hell besides he obvious Will Smith/Samuel L. Jackson/Denzel trinity what newer black actors are really popping?

MJB
John Boyega
Chadwicke Boseman
Idris Elba

Idris and Chadwicke are both in their forties and were grinding for YEARS in television and small movie parts before they blew up. MJB had been grinding as a child actor for years before The Wire and FNL helped blow him up. That leaves only John Boyega as a "new" face on the rise.

Derek Luke either didn't have the chances (through agents, management, etc) or didn't have the desire to be in that category.
man, we had more black actors in mainstream hollywood than just sam, denzel, and will - forrest, morgan freeman, fishburne, chris rock, courtney vance, danny glover all come to mind. then we also had more black films so people like epps, shemar moore, morris, diggs, etc. could still eat. Luke couldn't find his way into some good supporting roles? I'm not even talking lead shyt...

there are a lot of new(er) actors i'd like to see get more roles, the whole cast of get out, soc main cast, jerrod carmichael could easily hold down a movie, donald glover is on the way - hell his ATL cast would be nice to see.

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
I said it at the time, breh is gonna be the next great character actor. His roles are so different. He shouldnt aim at being a headline guy because he can get more parts and win more awards being a character dude. (Lakeith Stanfield)

As for Derek Luke, he made bad choices and black actors do not get many chances. He a working black actor now, and nothing is wrong with that. He is still paying the bills.
where do you guys come up with these mediocre talent, Aldis hodge, this guy, MJB, you all swear these dudes have next I hope it's to do with talent and not just a guy crush cuz I don't see it at all. You guys are really determined to bet on losing horses

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
What I meant was no one will see it so it will be like it never existed. He's played Jackie Robinson and James fukin Brown and barely anyone knew who he was nor did it raise his profile. It wasn't until civil war that heads turned. This latest movie will fall at the wayside like most of his projects. So this idea he's the hot new black star is laughable
but they did raise his profile, hollywood took notice, that's why he got black panther. all those "serious" movies fall by the wayside to the public unless they're one of the 6-10 films in serious oscar contention, and those only pick up steam because of the second wave of marketing they get due to the oscars. black swan only made $1.4M its opening weekend, but over its lifetime and due to the oscar buzz, it went on to cross $100M total, the general audience doesn't show up to theaters for films that aren't blockbuster fantasy/action/sci-fi, kids movies, and the occasional breakout comedy.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
where do you guys come up with these mediocre talent, Aldis hodge, this guy, MJB, you all swear these dudes have next I hope it's to do with talent and not just a guy crush cuz I don't see it at all. You guys are really determined to bet on losing horses
lakeith has shown a lot of range in his roles, breh has talent and he's only 25, in 5-8 years he could be a problem :ehh:. rarely does someone get to step into an oscar worthy role from jump, but he has the aptitude to grow into an actor that can pull one off should his career allow him to go that route.

Last edited:

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
but they did raise his profile, hollywood took notice, that's why he got black panther. all those "serious" movies fall by the wayside to the public unless they're one of the 6-10 films in serious oscar contention, and those only pick up steam because of the second wave of marketing they get due to the oscars. black swan only made $1.4M its opening weekend, but over its lifetime and due to the oscar buzz, it went on to cross $100M total, the general audience doesn't show up to theaters for films that aren't blockbuster fantasy/action/sci-fi, kids movies, and the occasional breakout comedy.
he got black panther because idris, chitwetel, Mackie were already in the MCU, MJB was with fox and they needed an actor with moderate work put in but was still a relative fresh face. Not because they were impressed with his filmography lol. And if 42 or get on up couldn't even nab him spirit award noms what are we talking about here

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
he got black panther because idris, chitwetel, Mackie were already in the MCU, MJB was with fox and they needed an actor with moderate work put in but was still a relative fresh face.
lol...ok. that's why, they had a scratch pad and he was the only one left. um no, he was a newer face who was making/had made a name :facepalm:

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
lakeith has shown a lot of range in his roles, breh has talent and he's only 25, in 5-8 years he could be a problem :ehh:. rarely does someone get to step into an oscar worthy role from jump, but he has the aptitude to grow in an actor that can pull one off should his career allow him to go that route.
What has he done? I have only seen get out which was a nothing role. And his dumb schtick at comic con, seems like a pretentious poser immersed in white culture to me.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
What has he done? I have only seen get out which was a nothing role. And his dumb schtick at comic con, seems like a pretentious poser immersed in white culture to me.
i've seen his roles in dope, Atlanta, and get out, all different roles - he's very expressive with his face, and even tho his character is a space cadet in Atlanta, he's got great timing and brings a lot of nuance to his characters, subtleties that you pick up on second and third viewings. these things lead me to believe that as he gets bigger or more demanding roles, he'd execute them well.

as for your poser white culture comment, you seem to be projecting. i don't know shyt about his personal life aside from his black BM/girlfriend...doesn't seem to fit the immersed in white culture view you've imposed on him :ld:
lakeith-stanfield-xosha-roquemore-75ca0aba-f631-4177-9ac5-362975682323.jpg

what's scratch pad? And what do you qualify as "a name" because Chadwick boseman was never one
what are you qualifying as a name? you seem to keep getting stardom mixed into this. his roles prior to being cast were impressive to hollywood (execs, agents, critics, film snobs)...he made a name. now if you're taking that to mean he's a household name - a star - like will smith or ryan goosling, no. but in hollywood circles he was on the radar.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Whether you personally like them or not, most of those guys have received critical acclaim for their performances. It's not like people are just picking random black actors and hyping them up as being better than they really are.

Michael B Jordan in particular has been getting praised for his performances going back to fukking Hardball.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
breh, you are the biggest hater of every talent on this forum. You not really worth engaging.

All I said is cuz could be a great character actor and you ran with hating on everyone and everything.

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
as for your poser white culture comment, you seem to be projecting. i don't know shyt about his personal life aside from his black BM/girlfriend...doesn't seem to fit the immersed in white culture view you've imposed on him :ld:
do you know what projecting means? And how many black ppl do you see turning up to conventions wearing their mom's hair net around their head. Scan the room like a tractor beam then question the reporter on why they haven't ask him on why he's dressed in such a manner. That dumb attention seeking nonsense is what some1 from a community with a lot of time and no struggle to worry about do.
what are you qualifying as a name? you seem to keep getting stardom mixed into this. his roles prior to being cast were impressive to hollywood (execs, agents, critics, film snobs)...he made a name. now if you're taking that to mean he's a household name - a star - like will smith or ryan goosling, no. but in hollywood circles he was on the radar.
Dude there are no tiers to a name, stop overcomplicating things. Fact is before civil war unfortunately outside of blacks if you said Chadwick boseman ppl would react like djimon honsou did when he heard starlord. Just out of interest do you consider Dylan o'brien a name?