What Went Wrong with Derek Luke?

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
Whether you personally like them or not, most of those guys have received critical acclaim for their performances. It's not like people are just picking random black actors and hyping them up as being better than they really are.

Michael B Jordan in particular has been getting praised for his performances going back to fukking Hardball.
Sorry but who are these ppl?I remember him from wire and All my children and he passable in the former, forgettable in the latter

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Biker Boys was probably what did him in dude is legitimately good :snoop:
I don't think Biker Boyz was it.
He was still getting 2nd billing opposite big name white stars and starring in legit mainstream Hollywood stuff with people like Tom Cruise and directors like Robert Redford and David Mamet.
I think the turning point came when he starred in Notorious and that Tyler Perry movie back-to-back. That got him labelled as a :mjpls:"Black Actor":mjpls: by Hollywood and the roles in crossover type films dried up afterwards sending him to TV mostly.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Sorry but who are these ppl?I remember him from wire and All my children and he passable in the former, forgettable in the latter

Look up the reviews for Fruitvale Station and Creed. It aint that hard to look up reviews of the shows he's appeared in.

Like I said, if you don't personally like him that's fine, but don't like it's just a small group of people praising his acting skills when he's been nominated for all sorts of awards.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
do you know what projecting means? And how many black ppl do you see turning up to conventions wearing their mom's hair net around their head. Scan the room like a tractor beam then question the reporter on why they haven't ask him on why he's dressed in such a manner. That dumb attention seeking nonsense is what some1 from a community with a lot of time and no struggle to worry about do.

Dude there are no tiers to a name, stop overcomplicating things. Fact is before civil war unfortunately outside of blacks if you said Chadwick boseman ppl would react like djimon honsou did when he heard starlord. Just out of interest do you consider Dylan o'brien a name?
there is a difference between making a name off acclaim amongst the hollywood gatekeepers and snobs vs. being a star/household name, wtf. i'm done here

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
Look up the reviews for Fruitvale Station and Creed. It aint that hard to look up reviews of the shows he's appeared in.

Like I said, if you don't personally like him that's fine, but don't like it's just a small group of people praising his acting skills when he's been nominated for all sorts of awards.
Fruitvale and creed are recent I am fully aware of tthe praise he got for that (more to do with engineering a successor to will and denzel than talent but I digress). In the post I replied it said he was getting praise for his acting as far back as hardball. Who was praising him?

Mortal1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Bay Area
I don't think Biker Boyz was it.
He was still getting 2nd billing opposite big name white stars and starring in legit mainstream Hollywood stuff with people like Tom Cruise and directors like Robert Redford and David Mamet.
I think the turning point came when he starred in Notorious and that Tyler Perry movie back-to-back. That got him labelled as a :mjpls:"Black Actor":mjpls: by Hollywood and the roles in crossover type films dried up afterwards sending him to TV mostly.
You know your right he did have a lot of high billing roles until those films your mentioned.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You know your right he did have a lot of high billing roles until those films your mentioned.

The thing is though, Black actors typically only start doing that stuff when the roles dry up in other movies.

Also Anthony Mackie has done just as many "Black films". He was in Notorious with Derek Luke, and before that he was in that terrible basketball movie "Crossover".

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
The thing is though, Black actors typically only start doing that stuff when the roles dry up in other movies.

Also Anthony Mackie has done just as many "Black films". He was in Notorious with Derek Luke, and before that he was in that terrible basketball movie "Crossover".
Mackie was working his way up when he starred in those movies plus he avoided being in any Tyler Perry flicks.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Mackie was working his way up when he starred in those movies plus he avoided being in any Tyler Perry flicks.

Mackie and Luke both came into the industry at the same time. They both had their big screen debuts in the same year.

The Tyler Perry flicks might have affected him, but like I said usually actors fall back on those movies after the roles dry up.

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
I never thought he was that great of an actor, but I guess there's an abundance of wack white actors so he should still be around.

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Mackie and Luke both came into the industry at the same time. They both had their big screen debuts in the same year.

The Tyler Perry flicks might have affected him, but like I said usually actors fall back on those movies after the roles dry up.
Mackie wasn't getting 2nd billing to major white stars in major studio films like Luke was though.

Daps
he got black panther because idris, chitwetel, Mackie were already in the MCU, MJB was with fox and they needed an actor with moderate work put in but was still a relative fresh face. Not because they were impressed with his filmography lol. And if 42 or get on up couldn't even nab him spirit award noms what are we talking about here
MJB would've never gotten the role over Chad. What helped elevate Bosemans character was "get on up" and "42". Ppl saw the range in his acting and many actors don't have that. Lakeith Stanfield is next in line.