What rappers had the weirdest careers?

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
On the "huge flash then drop out of sight" motif, Lauryn Hill has one of the most unique careers of anyone in hip hop.

* Comes to fame mostly seen as "the woman in the group"

* Out of nowhere drops a solo album that becomes one of the best-selling and most critically acclaimed albums of all time

* Completely disappears from the public eye while she's on top of the world, becomes a hermit and has a bunch of kids

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
Big Daddy Kane oddly enough. He's considered a 🐐 to so many but unlike his counterparts(KRS, Rakim, G Rap, LL etc) he did nothing memorable musically past the 80s.

Always thought this was was the weirdest thing in Kane's career - appearing in this book with Madonna

BV1fjisIMAAg5qi.jpg:large

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Big Daddy Kane oddly enough. He's considered a 🐐 to so many but unlike his counterparts(KRS, Rakim, G Rap, LL etc) he did nothing memorable musically past the 80s.

He did a solid Tiny Desk Concert for NPR, it was crazy to imagine that there was 30 years of life between when he wrote these songs and when he was spitting them.

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
Krs was quite critical of Christianity and Christians. in his early career.

I wouldn't call this anti-Christian in 2024, but my parents are Rastas, we grew up believing everyone in the Bible was Black.

Let's just say in 1989, when rap music wasn't being played 24/7 on Black radio, this type of thinking was "fringe" for mainstream Black America. A big part of that era of hip hop was talking about praying to a white Jesus.

Still it never seemed like Krs was embracing Christianity like that.

In 2002? The Blast Master sounds like he got "saved" and then dropped Spiritual Minded

Bugzbunny129

All Star
Daps
Doom

Still dont understand how he is the only one to blow the way he did outta every rapper. I know its more marketing than anything by way of the mask and the cartoons sound but just wish other dope underappreciated mcs got love like he got.

Daps
Reppin
Chi
SD from 300...was with Chief all up in the videos, had a dope tape, then seemed to just vanish. He could've at least had a Fredo Santana, Lil Reese, LA Capone, Rondo Numba 9 career (minus the lengthy jail terms, getting shot & deaths). Maybe he figured it's better to lay low, stay alive and enjoy freedom.

Daps
Reppin
Chi
Another from Chicago was P.Rico...Summer 2013, the whole city was going berserk over Hang Wit Me and No Lackin, even their opps were doing remixes to Hang Wit Me. That summer, the BDK/075 click had bigger songs popping in the city than 300/BDs. They did zero to capitalize on it.

No Lackin still goes :wow:

Last edited:

TrapHouse Rock

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Krs was quite critical of Christianity and Christians. in his early career.

I wouldn't call this anti-Christian in 2024, but my parents are Rastas, we grew up believing everyone in the Bible was Black.

Let's just say in 1989, when rap music wasn't being played 24/7 on Black radio, this type of thinking was "fringe" for mainstream Black America. A big part of that era of hip hop was talking about praying to a white Jesus.

Still it never seemed like Krs was embracing Christianity like that.

In 2002? The Blast Master sounds like he got "saved" and then dropped Spiritual Minded

His wife has a lot of influence over him

I pick shyt up
Daps
Reppin
Vixens, Mascara's, Mary-Ann's
Chamillionare

I wasn't really a fan of his so somebody might have to correct me.

Dude had a number one song then just stopped making music.. I don't remember ever hearing from dude again after riding dirty except from a random feature..

And did he not curse in his music?