What rappers had the weirdest careers?

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
I'm :flabbynsick: so not that familiar with him other than he got killed when he was bubbling. What's his story?

Chicago drill rapper from the same hood that produced the whole scene.

Was a known hitter out on his last strike and started rapping n went viral. Durk put him on. Known for street storytelling rap. Actually writes music.

Had a lot of open cases and got killed stepping to another rapper on camera.

Ended up having like over a dozen confirmed bodies or some crazy shyt including women and kids(but he started hitting in his teens)

For someone who barely started rapping and blew up he was nice with it.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Mase is a good one

Rick Ross…dude was a tier 2/3 rapper while his peers were at the top then about 5 years into his career he becomes super popular for about 4 years only to be bushed again

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
So many rappers
  • How did they get on?
  • Why was this even popular? This is trash by yesterday's standards, not just today's
  • How did they fall off?
  • Glad they shelved this record...
But when you say the word weird, my mind goes to the HorrorCore Era (i'd even throw in Ganksta Nip here for a bit)
  • Gravediggaz -
    traffic-entertainment-group-gravediggaz-6-feet-deep-2xlp-lp-706091204180-hhc2050-lp-photo-photo-photo-33095552958647_800x.jpg
  • Flatlinerz
    1200x1200bb.jpg
  • Parts of Geto Boys/Bushwick Bill for a hot minute
    Screen-Shot-2015-10-30-at-9-44-30-AM.jpg
  • Esham
    60e323d839044cdaa21ed8e57510c9ef.jpg

And most of all 3-6 Mafia

EM9rioCXUAA_gjK.jpg

This is how they used to sound

But they somehow changed to this

Reptile

Reptile For Mortal Kombat 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outworld
Plies was literally everywhere. Dropping shyt at a crazy pace. Then it just stopped. Now he known for sitting in his car on social media. shyt makes no sense to me at all. Idk wtf happend

A combination of that and this

Him resorting to being a satirical dating coach on social media kind of "confirmed" this in the masses eyes.

Iverson_64

Superstar
Daps
50 Cent in all honesty for 2 different reasons.

The 1st reason is that nobody saw him actually becoming a huge mainstream sensation before GRODT dropped. He got blackballed and had to use mixtapes to catch back his buzz. There was always anticipation that he'd at least be Jadakiss or Camron levels of popular if he got signed to a major again but, prior to the Aftermath/Shady cosign, nobody really thought that 50 would completely dominate mainstream music the way he did in 03-05. Even 50 in that GRODT documentary said that he didn't expect to sell as much as he did with GRODT.

The 2nd reason which is opposite to what I just said is how hard 50 Cent fell off after dominating the scene. By 2009, 50 already felt like a relic of the past and despite having a solid diss track towards Ross(Tia Told Me), casual rap fans basically left him in the dust and assumed he retired after the 07 sales battle. BISD barely outsold Ross's album too which was a strong indicator that rap was leaving 50 behind. Then, as time went on, 50 slowed down on music(besides some tapes) and turned himself into a TV producer with Power and other shows. And now he's basically the Hood Tyler Perry and retired from the rap game.

So, 50's career took 2 major turns that people didn't see coming.

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
Joe Budden... laughed out of hip hop and forced to sit around and talk about a bunch of rap shyt cause his career was in the toilet, somehow stumbled onto "podcasting" and turned that into generational wealth.

Boosie...I legit can't believe this dude is alive with all the dirt he did in Louisiana. Dude had straight up kids dropping bodies for him back home. Got ran up out his home. It's crazy seeing him on social media knowing the shyt he was involved in. He another one of them dudes who when he 65 feds going to hit him with like 10 murder cases.

Novembruh

Nah.
Daps
Reppin
The Bay
Rob Van Winkle going from background dancer to diamond record and owning a Queen song to telling ninjas to go, to bad rock music and then home renovation has been quite a life for Ice.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
50 Cent in all honesty for 2 different reasons.

The 1st reason is that nobody saw him actually becoming a huge mainstream sensation before GRODT dropped. He got blackballed and had to use mixtapes to catch back his buzz. There was always anticipation that he'd at least be Jadakiss or Camron levels of popular if he got signed to a major again but, prior to the Aftermath/Shady cosign, nobody really thought that 50 would completely dominate mainstream music the way he did in 03-05. Even 50 in that GRODT documentary said that he didn't expect to sell as much as he did with GRODT.

The 2nd reason which is opposite to what I just said is how hard 50 Cent fell off after dominating the scene. By 2009, 50 already felt like a relic of the past and despite having a solid diss track towards Ross(Tia Told Me), casual rap fans basically left him in the dust and assumed he retired after the 07 sales battle. BISD barely outsold Ross's album too which was a strong indicator that rap was leaving 50 behind. Then, as time went on, 50 slowed down on music(besides some tapes) and turned himself into a TV producer with Power and other shows. And now he's basically the Hood Tyler Perry and retired from the rap game.

So, 50's career took 2 major turns that people didn't see coming.

I feel like "blew up unexpectedly, hot for a minute, and then disappeared" is a pretty common career storyline though. 50's commercial peak was bigger than most but that's just a matter of degree.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
  • Parts of Geto Boys/Bushwick Bill for a hot minute
    Screen-Shot-2015-10-30-at-9-44-30-AM.jpg

When the fukk are we going to get our Bushwick Bill biopic? I don't mean a low-budget documentary, I want a Straight Outta Compton-style Hollywood flick. In the right writer and director's hand that could be Oscar material.

Love Sosa

Superstar
Daps
Yung Berg. Signing to DMX at 16, after a few years having a couple successful hits, getting his chains snatched and getting beat up by females every week seemingly, to changing his name and becoming a successful pen.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

Mase. Dude was a superstar out the gate. He went the most commercial route possible but he could really rap his ass off when he wanted. Could thrive in any lane. Most effortless charisma of any rapper in the wake of Pac and BIG passing. Floor for his career should have been Ludacris run in the 00s. But his second album was dead on arrival with the unexpected retirement and he just disappeared.

Heard everything from getting caught doing some :dame: activities in a Range Rover, to getting run out of NY by some street dudes. But he went to Atlanta so the :dame: aspect should not have been an issue and there's plenty stud
Magic Johnson signed on to be his manager after the 1st album + group project. Word is that his contract with Puff was such a terrible deal, that he tried to use the saved/leaving industry to preach route to get out of it.
And get back a year or to later.

Barry Sanders quit the Lions allegedly with the same ultimate goal

I remember Magic announcing being his manager and shortly afterward announcing Mase was retiring.

He quit ahead of the completion and rollout to album two, so not doing promo/ in stores, etc .Not sure if he recorded ant music videos for it.

Last edited: