What LA's city council scandal says about race and political power

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Those comments are responses from Hispanics telling their own people how hateful they are to black people. Listen to the interview in the OP and understand how edited that interview is. The woman being interviewed opens up by talking about the divide.
I heard the interview/read the transcript as well as the article that alluded to by the guest before I posted it here.

Anti-African-ness in social and legal history of Mexico is not a new topic.

Brehvity3135

Banned
Daps
I *live in San Diego where on paper, Hispanics make up 30% of the population. In reality a lot of them claim white on documents OR are undocumented.

All that text doesn’t match reality. I’m not going to dive into my background here, but you’re way off. Way, way off. Hispanics do classify by appearance. There are Paisas, Oaxacans, Mestizos, Guera(o)s, Morena(o)s, etc. All of those are based on how Native, European or African you APPEAR.

Are you arguing that in LA all Mexicans are holding hands singing songs and it’s peace and love across the spectrum? If that’s your argument, you couldn’t be any more incorrect.

Besides that, I’ve been to several Central American countries including, Panama, Costa Rica and Guatemala. Either you don’t know, trying to soften the blow or just straight up lying.

:sas1:

Lol at you quantifying your experiences by your travels when my IP address is in the RD and my job has me traveling to everyone of those countries on a rotational basis.

I just left Colombia, and I was in Panama in February :deadrose: . Did my internship in Monterrey way back in the day.

You’re talking about appearances when I’m talking about political affiliations and aspirations once they reach America. You didn’t understand a lick of what I wrote. Enjoy SD :mjlol:

gtj1982

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
America's Darkside--210
9 minutes of nothingness. The real answer is the majority of Mexicans in LA see white as a social status and hope that one day their families can be white enough to enjoy the “American” dream… the one where you’re in control of everyone else’s nightmare while you live worry and problem free.

They want to pick and choose when they are affiliated with blackness, but don’t want anyone discussing the parts of their culture that originated in Africa, so they keep us in a use when needed status.

Just look at the comments on a Mexican page under a video about a lot of their foods having African origins.

CA0-CD16-F-1-EF5-46-F7-B3-FA-2-CD8471770-A5.jpg

Agree with all you said but did you clip the wrong comments?

Brehvity3135

Banned
Daps
Go try to open up a black owned business in a "liberal american latino" community. Or even try and get hired in a latino owned business. Where I live its not happening at all.. Maybe you can share some experiences where you live.

I was being generous at best cause I don’t want to be xenophobic about the situation. It doesn’t matter at the end of the day because there is no combating this.

Wildhundreds

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I was being generous at best cause I don’t want to be xenophobic about the situation. It doesn’t matter at the end of the day because there is no combating this.

It actually is. Black people have to be more involved locally in politics. All your ward meetings, you have to show up. Every time there is a election, everyone must vote. When you do that, you show politicians you'll vote them in or out whenever you want to. Politics only begins when you elect someone. After that, we must be present at every meeting that politician holds to let them know we mean business. Too many times I've seen black elected officials neglect the black community because we seem to not hold politicians accountable locally. Thats why mexicans are doing what they're doing now.

Brehvity3135

Banned
Daps
It actually is. Black people have to be more involved locally in politics. All your ward meetings, you have to show up. Every time there is a election, everyone must vote. When you do that, you show politicians you'll vote them in or out whenever you want to. Politics only begins when you elect someone. After that, we must be present at every meeting that politician holds to let them know we mean business. Too many times I've seen black elected officials neglect the black community because we seem to not hold politicians accountable locally. Thats why mexicans are doing what they're doing now.

That sounds good in theory but in my opinion when they know they are the only option that doesn’t warrant action.

Wig Twistin Season

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Lol at you quantifying your experiences by your travels when my IP address is in the RD and my job has me traveling to everyone of those countries on a rotational basis.

I just left Colombia, and I was in Panama in February :deadrose: . Did my internship in Monterrey way back in the day.

You’re talking about appearances when I’m talking about political affiliations and aspirations once they reach America. You didn’t understand a lick of what I wrote. Enjoy SD :mjlol:
I live in Southern California. Do you?

:mjlol:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I agree with you here, and this where the road splits between complainers and DOERS.
My earlier point was that the "bu bu but look what they're saying in comments section of a social media post" is geared towards people not inclined to address and combat the issue being discussed, which is Political realities and power. It's a tangent to the central discussion.

This situation in Los Angeles is one that dudes need to follow and examine clearly and without the extras.(in my opinion)

As the Hispanic population increases, and it trends more Mexican, this is a bit of a preview for other regions of the country.

Brehvity3135

Banned
Daps
I live in Southern California. Do you?

:mjlol:

:bryan: That ether hit your soul when you tried to passportbro me, but you’re talking to someone with 3 of them. You live in SoCal and don’t even understand what’s been unfolding in front of your eyes. That’s just the end results. I’ve been in and around the sources of what I wrote.

You didn’t even understand what I wrote because it’s peer reviewed white paper csis level. Good luck

Wig Twistin Season

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
:bryan: That ether hit your soul when you tried to passportbro me, but you’re talking to someone with 3 of them. You live in SoCal and don’t even understand what’s been unfolding in front of your eyes. That’s just the end results. I’ve been in and around the sources of what I wrote.

You didn’t even understand what I wrote because it’s peer reviewed white paper csis level. Good luck
Short answer, no.

Now give your scholarly opinion on what’s going on in LA.

:sas2:

Scustin Bieburr

Baby baybee baybee UUUGH
Daps
9 minutes of nothingness. The real answer is the majority of Mexicans in LA see white as a social status and hope that one day their families can be white enough to enjoy the “American” dream… the one where you’re in control of everyone else’s nightmare while you live worry and problem free.

They want to pick and choose when they are affiliated with blackness, but don’t want anyone discussing the parts of their culture that originated in Africa, so they keep us in a use when needed status.

Just look at the comments on a Mexican page under a video about a lot of their foods having African origins.

CA0-CD16-F-1-EF5-46-F7-B3-FA-2-CD8471770-A5.jpg
WOW. HOLD THIS REP

High Art

👑King of The Salon👑
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Myself and my own.
The economic impact is something that is not discussed enough. The effect that having such racist individuals would or could have on black-owned businesses (600 I think?) in that area is something worth viewing as well.

And even more, special attention has to be paid to various institutions like colleges and so on. It reminds me of the issue that unfolded in Houston at HCC, where the staff became predominantly hispanic and with that, brought a rather racist pushing out of many of the remaining black staff, many who were responsible for putting those hispanic individuals in place in the first place. The changes to the surrounding area reflected this shift as well.

Brehvity3135

Banned
Daps
Short answer, no.

Now give your scholarly opinion on what’s going on in LA.

:sas2:

What you missed on my initial post is that they are already white. One of the privileges of whiteness is being able to go to a bank, grocery store, school, etc and not have to interact with others outside of your community.

They very much can do that. They are wielding the same economic, social and political power as the white establishment.

You go further north to the Bay Area and the same could be said about Asians (Indians included).

Y’all are sitting here waiting on some Shang Tsung body snatching of Anglo-saxons, when the sociopolitical, economic transformation has been completed wherever they are. :francis:

More importantly are these Mexican councilmemebers shytting on a Cuban councilman for his alliance or sympathy with black politics. That’s because he broke latinadad code. It’s not in stone but it’s unspoken and real.

An incident happened earlier this year in black PG county Maryland where a Black Dominican lobbied to redline the district in support of the larger El Salvadorean, Puertorriqueño, Mexican Latino politician.

So yes they have their intra community issues like anyone else but they will align if need be and wreak havoc.

Most of y’all are going to disagree with me because this isn’t aligned with contemporary black political thought. But no one gate keeps whiteness like black people in a ironic way. The idea that a group could do this in under 30 years in real time is too painful for most to admit.

Last edited:

Wig Twistin Season

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
What you missed on my initial post is that they are already white. One of the privileges of whiteness is being able to go to a bank, grocery store, school, etc and not have to interact with others outside of your community.

They very much can do that. They are wielding the same economic, social and political power as the white establishment.

You go further north to the Bay Area and the same could be said about Asians (Indians included).

Y’all are sitting here waiting on some Shang Tsung body snatching of Anglo-saxons, when the sociopolitical, economic transformation has been completed wherever they are. :francis:
I didn’t miss anything my guy. I sat through classes that broke down the cast system that was brought from Spain. You’re not teaching me anything new. In your original response you said “they” don’t care about our blackness. You and I know that’s a LIE. The cast system that originated in Spain was a direct response to the Moors conquering that part of the world. It was brought to the Americas where at some point you could buy your way up the ladder. I think there were like 24 different terms based on your racial mix in that system. And Hispanics have not yet crossed the threshold to whiteness in California OR the US yet. So once again, what’s going on in LA scholarly breh?

You just wanted to jump in here and flex credentials, assuming you’re the most educated breh in the room, but you still have not answered the question.