What is your relationship with Squats?

Ziploc

Celestial
Daps
Long femurs and 6"4. I stopped doing barbell squats because they didn't feel good on my lower back.Still do them though with either kettlebell,front cradle with a plate or body weight (volume). I'm downgrading on mass so I'm leaning more towards calisthenics lately and my my body responds better to those types of workouts.

Son Goku

Great Sage Equalling Heaven
Daps
This right here. I don't even try to convince people to do them anymore. Whenever someone has an excuse for not doing them, I accept that they don't want to do squats and move on.
Side note, that gif in OP leaves me with so many questions :francis:
Yet to meet a tall guy who likes squats.

Short gang in this thread heavy.....:lolbron:
Long femurs and 6"4. I stopped doing barbell squats because they didn't feel good on my lower back.Still do them though with either kettlebell,front cradle with a plate or body weight (volume). I'm downgrading on mass so I'm leaning more towards calisthenics lately and my my body responds better to those types of workouts.

Right on time. :mjlol:

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
I was waiting for someone to open this pandora's box:mjgrin:
You say that you stopped doing barbell squats cause they didn't feel good on your lower back. How do you know you were doing them correctly? I would argue that you weren't and that's why they didn't feel good. You weren't feeling the affects of your poor form at lower weight but once you got to something that require good technique and form, you were punished:manny:

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Always get the bubble guts for them because its time to work. An essential for solid quad development. Squats and high volume sets of leg extensions have me wobblng out the gym like....

martin-pimp-walking.gif

Son Goku

Daps
I was waiting for someone to open this pandora's box:mjgrin:
You say that you stopped doing barbell squats cause they didn't feel good on your lower back. How do you know you were doing them correctly? I would argue that you weren't and that's why they didn't feel good. You weren't feeling the affects of your poor form at lower weight but once you got to something that require good technique and form, you were punished:manny:

Stream Beatbox Remix by Vellydagoat (@vellydagoat) | Listen online for free  on SoundCloud

Repped.
All-Might-Grin.png

Son Goku

Daps
@Son Goku or anyone else

What's the science behind squats leveling you up in every way? I know it's true but how does it happen? How do improving squats improve the rest of your body?

I'm not a scientist so I won't pretend to be. :yeshrug:
A lot of "scientific"exercise takes lead to mediocre strength and aesthetic levels anyways IMO. YMMV. :francis:

Off the top of my head and from anecdotal experience:

- Squatting is said to release larger amounts of growth hormone than other exercises. More growth hormone would mean more lean mass and more strength throughout the body. My squatting experiment led to permanent quad growth and made my drawers and jeans no longer fit;

- Squatting is less taxing on the body than deadlifting. Deads actually work more muscles that squats won't, but deadlifting more frequently will lead to faster burnout than squatting would. You can deadlift 3-4x a week no problem but you can squat multiple times a day;

- Legs and core are used in so many exercises: squatting, front squatting, deadlifting, benching (with leg drive), strict pressing, both Oly lifts, etc. Having stronger wheels and a stronger core inherently strengthens any lifts that uses those muscles, either actively as primary/secondary movers or passively as stabilizers;
I talk more about this here: STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0
Screenshot-2023-01-07-220412-removebg-preview-20-removebg-preview.png

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
@Son Goku or anyone else

What's the science behind squats leveling you up in every way? I know it's true but how does it happen? How do improving squats improve the rest of your body?
Pretty much everything @Son Goku said but I really want to highlight this
- Legs and core are used in so many exercises: squatting, front squatting, deadlifting, benching (with leg drive), strict pressing, both Oly lifts, etc. Having stronger wheels and a stronger core inherently strengthens any lifts that uses those muscles, either actively as primary/secondary movers or passively as stabilizers;
I talk more about this here: STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0
Most people never do core work which leads to them having poor form on lifts. And like I mentioned in my last post, since they are using such low weight, they don't notice this until it's too late and they end up hurting themselves. I understand why it doesn't happen but a basic class should be a requirement when signing up to a gym. So many people are ignorant about weight lifting that it almost feels criminal to allow them access to any of the equipment:francis:

Last edited:

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
Pretty much everything @Son Goku said but I really want to highlight this

Most people never do core work which leads to them having poor form on lifts. And like I mentioned in my last post, since they are using such low weight, they don't notice this until it's too late and they end up hurting themselves. I understand why it doesn't happen but a basic class should be a requirement when signing up to a gym. So many people are ignorant about weight lifting that it almost feels criminal to allow them access to any of the equipment:francis:
You mean side bends with a 45 plate and crunches won’t give me a strong core?

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
They hurt my back so I stopped doing them a while back and substituted them for other exercises. I plan on trying them again once I'm done overriding physical limitations that most likely affected my performance for this exercise.