What is the big deal about Breaking Bad?

Black Ball

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Mighty LBC
:obama:
Very good posts, brehs. I'm gonna address them at the same time. Maybe it'll clarify why "BB" is written the way it is....maybe it won't. :manny:

Are you familiar with the term "clockwork universe"? It basically means, no matter how 3 dimensional or deep a character seems, ultimately they're only a function of the plot. Or more specifically, any side character or sub plot is only important in direct relation to the actions the protagonist takes.

Most fiction, movies, TV, novels, whatever, try to hide this, for obvious reasons. "BB" went in the extreme opposite direction, and embraced it completely.

You say there's no consequences for Walt's actions. I disagree 100%. There was severe consequences, just not for Walt. Which is probably :what: to read, but let me explain.

By the end of "BB" 270 people had died, most of them directly (or indirectly) due to the plot armor Walt has. So let's say they kill Walt in season 1. Or season 2. Or season 3. The shorter Walt's life, the more people survive.

So the point wasn't, Walt is in danger. The point literally was, Walt IS the danger. It wasn't just a cool line.

The writers even not-so-subtly pointed this out, via Jesse in the season 5B episode "Rabid Dog":

He's flat out telling them "Walt is the protagonist, you are side characters". They smugly assure him they have it under control. Within two episodes of that exchange they're both dead, and Jesse is being tortured. They didn't know their place in the clockwork universe.

Even the most ridiculous, cartoonish "outs" Walt was given, like the giant magnet, had horrific consequences for literally everyone but Walt. It directly lead to the deaths of Mike, his 11 guys, Peter Schuler, Drew Sharp...and set in motion the rest of season 5B, too.

So yeah, Walt was able to escape death and consequences....at the expense of everyone around him. That's the point of the show. That's why his admission "I did it for me" was so powerful in the finale.

Fred.

Dope post, I can fukk with this.:ehh:

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
using the batteries to destroy the laptop in the evidence room was the dumbest thing i've ever seen. the police were running around like chickens with their heads cut off.
you talking about the magnet?

the magnet is the only thing in the show that ever made me make the "comeon: face

i almost did for the train but they sold it well

still at worst my #2 show ever..sometimes #1 depending on my mood.

that stupid serial killer storyline for s5 of the wire was wack so i sometimes lean this as my #1

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
:obama:
Very good posts, brehs. I'm gonna address them at the same time. Maybe it'll clarify why "BB" is written the way it is....maybe it won't. :manny:

Are you familiar with the term "clockwork universe"? It basically means, no matter how 3 dimensional or deep a character seems, ultimately they're only a function of the plot. Or more specifically, any side character or sub plot is only important in direct relation to the actions the protagonist takes.

Most fiction, movies, TV, novels, whatever, try to hide this, for obvious reasons. "BB" went in the extreme opposite direction, and embraced it completely.

You say there's no consequences for Walt's actions. I disagree 100%. There was severe consequences, just not for Walt. Which is probably :what: to read, but let me explain.

By the end of "BB" 270 people had died, most of them directly (or indirectly) due to the plot armor Walt has. So let's say they kill Walt in season 1. Or season 2. Or season 3. The shorter Walt's life, the more people survive.

So the point wasn't, Walt is in danger. The point literally was, Walt IS the danger. It wasn't just a cool line.

The writers even not-so-subtly pointed this out, via Jesse in the season 5B episode "Rabid Dog":

He's flat out telling them "Walt is the protagonist, you are side characters". They smugly assure him they have it under control. Within two episodes of that exchange they're both dead, and Jesse is being tortured. They didn't know their place in the clockwork universe.

Even the most ridiculous, cartoonish "outs" Walt was given, like the giant magnet, had horrific consequences for literally everyone but Walt. It directly lead to the deaths of Mike, his 11 guys, Peter Schuler, Drew Sharp...and set in motion the rest of season 5B, too.

So yeah, Walt was able to escape death and consequences....at the expense of everyone around him. That's the point of the show. That's why his admission "I did it for me" was so powerful in the finale.

Fred.
:wow:

Miracle Violence

Animal Instinct
Daps
Preference, yeah.
But not one of those shows has any actor who gave a better performance than Bryan Cranston.

You could make that case, sure. The program was still by and large a one-man show on the acting front though. Cranston never had the luxury of being surrounded by people who were actually on his level like James Gandolfini did, for example.

Gandolfini got to work with Edie Falco, Michael Imperioli, David Proval, Frank Vincent, Joe Pantoliano, Steve Buscemi, Nancy Marchand & Lorraine Bracco. Every one of those names trumps the entire BrBa cast with the exception of Cranston.

Granted, Aaron Paul and Dean Norris are decent, serviceable actors, but could anyone say the same about Anna Gunn while keeping a straight face? She is the definition of sub-par.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You could make that case, sure. The program was still by and large a one-man show on the acting front though. Cranston never had the luxury of being surrounded by people who were actually on his level like James Gandolfini did, for example.

Gandolfini got to work with Edie Falco, Michael Imperioli, David Proval, Frank Vincent, Joe Pantoliano, Steve Buscemi, Nancy Marchand & Lorraine Bracco. Every one of those names trumps the entire BrBa cast with the exception of Cranston.

Granted, Aaron Paul and Dean Norris are decent, serviceable actors, but could anyone say the same about Anna Gunn while keeping a straight face? She is the definition of sub-par.
Anna Gunn has several nominations and won an Emmy and SAG award for playing Skyler White. Subpar is silly, breh.

Is she as good as Edie Falco? I dunno. Probably not.
But the shows are different and the focus on the characters is different.

Comparing The Sopranos with Breaking Bad isn't exactly fair because they're two different types of shows.

If you had 5 other star actors with MAJOR roles in terms of plot around Bryan Cranston, it wouldn't play out the same way. The story was mainly about Walter's transformation. You really can't have a Sopranos situation because nobody else's story even matters as much. That's not to say that Anna Gunn, Aaron Paul, Bob Odenkirk, and Giancarlo Esposito aren't great actors because they are. But in order for the story to play out the right way, they HAD to be complementary guys with a limited focus.

:manny:

Pifferry

blegh
Daps
fair point. :ehh:

still better than marie tho.
No she's not even close to being as good.at acting as Betsy Brandt and if you even claim that chances are you know nothing about acting whatsoever.
Maybe it's your dislike of Marie as a character but she was a phenomenal actress throughout the entire show.

Pifferry

blegh
Daps

Calling Anna Gunn anything but an amazing actress is ridiculous. At this point in time she's probably the best on all of TV and you're gonna tell me Thar Betsy Brandt wasn't great as well? Open House completely dispels that argument. Jonathan Banks? He absolutely sold his role as much as was humanely possible and Gincaelo Esposito and Bob Odernkirk? Fantastic.
Don't even get me started Dean Norris, he's currently the most underrated actor on TV by far along with Alfie Allen. He could compete with Cranston day any day of the week.

Black Ball

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Mighty LBC

I agree with this for the most part, but Giancarlo Esposito (Gus) is a great actor. Also the actors that played Mike & Saul were very dope.

Food Mane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I agree with this for the most part, but Giancarlo Esposito (Gus) is a great actor. Also the actors that played Mike & Saul were very dope.

He's also one of the dopest tv chefs

carla-hall-768.jpg

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
@hexagram23 just keep in mind that a lot of people find the first 2 seasons fairly slow. The show really got noticed/hyped after it picked up the pace in season's 3 and 4. A lot of casual TV watchers I know have barely made it through season 2, but once they do, they get hooked like crazy and say that it's their favorite show of all time. Now you know it's my favorite show ever, and I started watching for the season 2 premier, then went back and caught up on season 1 DVDs. I'm just trying to shed light on why a lot of people start watching it on Netflix, get into season 2, and start saying "This is what the hype is about?" To fully understand how amazing the show is, you have to see the whole thing, IMO. Vince G had a start and end point for Walter White, etc, you know the rest, friend.

Made Man

All Star
Daps
Had to force myself through season 1-3.....matter of fact i think i skipped a season.don't know which one, but season 4 and 5 was great television though. Cant deny it.

Last edited: