What is the big deal about Breaking Bad?

Food Mane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I got tired of WW getting lucky every other episode
Hank was Dexter police force awful at times
I hated and still hate Jessie. Awful character
Gus's character and story was amazing though
The 5th season was complete nonsense.

This is one of my main problems with the show, as well. They basically substitute magic with luck + "science" in the lazy writer's handbook.

If Walt was a wizard who came up with a spell to get himself out of these jams it would be the dumbest show ever. I honestly think there is a bit of an emperor's new clothes thing going on.

ECA

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I doubt Gilligan and co were going for realism in regards to this show. They just wanted to make a hyperviolent, stylized crime drama with dark humor thrown in. The show was pure pulp and that's why it was so successful with critics and television viewers. The reason why I gravitated towards this show was due to it being obviously influenced by Coen Bros, Tarantino and Sergio Leone movies. Save the realism for Treme, a show ya'll didn't watch.

Food Mane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I doubt Gilligan and co were going for realism in regards to this show. They just wanted to make a hyperviolent, stylized crime drama with dark humor thrown in. The show was pure pulp and that's why it was so successful with critics and television viewers. The reason why I gravitated towards this show was due to it being obviously influenced by Coen Bros, Tarantino and Sergio Leone movies. Save the realism for Treme, a show ya'll didn't watch.

I'm not saying that every show has to be realistic. A cartoon is free to be a cartoon. My problem is that Walt's problems are all very realistic and his solutions are all very fantastical. To make it worse, the solutions are not chalked up to the show being a cartoon, more often than not they are attributed to Walt's intellect.

Dat Migo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Boston
:why:Can you please explain this, because I couldn't disagree more..
And as far as the topic goes, @hexagram23 y'all do go crazy when someone talks bad about BB shyt even my boys damn near cussed me out for not thinking it's goat.. So don't act like you are just expressing your opinion when y'all be talking down to anyone who doesn't like it the way you do.. The show was good the last 3 seasons, but due to the first 2 being slow and boring due to lack of anything exciting happening I can't say it's top 5.. Also the majority if the characters bring terrible because everytime they were on screen I cringed at how annoying they were, I mean Walters family were unbearable.. So add another person to the even tho I liked the last few seasons I do think the show is a bit overrated list..
Breaking bad stans are like Pac stans :heh:

Mr. Bytes

yup
Daps
Reppin
originally from the 'ville
So i actually haven't watched GOT so I won't compare to that, but...
I started this show a month ago and ended up watching the whole series in a week :whoo:

To those just starting out, I'll admit that the first season (and part of the second season, if we're being real) were kind of slow. But at "Phoenix" once

Pinkman's girl died and Walt let it happen :to:
It was nothing but piff from that episode on imo.

One thing about Breaking Bad that initially threw me off a bit was it's tendency to have a few "slower episodes" where the tension is just being wound up. And then an episode would come when shyt hit the fan, the next episode would deal with the aftermath, and then it's back to a slow grind until the next "climax". BrBa was definitely a show that took its time (with the exception of the last few episodes of the series).

I actually came to appreciate that, because when it wound up the tension to its snapping point, it made those episodes so much more:damn:-worthy

As for Directing, I thought it was pretty inventive. There were shots from a lot of different angles and points of view that were pretty cool.

As for Writing, I don't really know what makes great writing but it wasn't full of cliches.

The transformation of Walt from protagonist to sort of Antagonist makes for really compelling stuff imo, it's really gradual but you start picking up little things more and more.

Great Series

joeychizzle

光復香港,時代革命
Daps
Reppin
I didn't start watching it until season 4 began. Everyone was like YO THIS IS GOAT shyt YOU GOTTA CHECK IT OUT OTHERWISE YOU A DUMBASS
My expectations were raised to such a level, that it seemed somewhat underwhelming. Once I got past that though, it was good. Not supremely compelling like The Wire, but a solid 7/10 at least.

ECA

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm not saying that every show has to be realistic. A cartoon is free to be a cartoon. My problem is that Walt's problems are all very realistic and his solutions are all very fantastical. To make it worse, the solutions are not chalked up to the show being a cartoon, more often than not they are attributed to Walt's intellect.

Like I said before, I doubt the creators of the show were worrying about all that. shyt looked cool, so they put it in. Plus most the shyt he pulled off came off as reasonably planned out to me, especially since he was portrayed as a super genius scientist since episode 1. Why can't the writers attribute it to Walt's intellect when they wrote him as such?

dtownreppin214

l'immortale
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Shags & Leathers
using the batteries to destroy the laptop in the evidence room was the dumbest thing i've ever seen. the police were running around like chickens with their heads cut off.