What is LL Cool J missing that keeps him out of real GOAT discussion?

morris

Superstar
Daps
1. He came our rapping the way everybody rapped in the 80s and had success
2. He was in mainstream movies including the first "rap movie"
3. Platinum and Gold artist
4. Battle popular rappers on the way up and while on top
5. Updated his rap flow/cadence/delivery from the 80s to the 90s/2000s and still had success
6. One of the original 'your favorite rapper's rapper'
7. Repped Queens
8. Had a TV show
9. Basically ended underground rapper who had next and was nice (Canibus) almost 10 years after defeating fellow Harlem legend Kool Moe Dee (who won a Grammy)
10. Dropped last album 25+ years after dropping first album
11. Still around and would probably still embarrass someone you consider good/great

MAYBE if he rapped about OTHER people's lifestyle and maybe if he survived some bullets/dies younger, he'd have additional stars and stripes ... but that was not meant for him. GOAT status was meant for him.

Homeboy Runny-Ray

From Around The Way
Daps
Reppin
Classic Niccas
He legit gave us 20 years of trash.

:stop:

he hasnt even put out much music in the past 20 years.

hes sporadically dropped a total of five albums after GOAT, and hasnt dropped any albums at all since 2013.

I didn’t say there weren’t any good or classic albums there just weren’t anywhere near as many compared to 87-96. I was actually listening to the new school era of Whodini Run, MC Ricky D, LL, UTFO etc when they came out. Slick Rick didn’t even put out an album until the golden era. Rap music was mainly a singles era before 1987. 87 ushered in a plethora of albums in which a lot of them were good to great. Both Old and New School eras were great but they were not apart of the Golden Era. A lot people really only consider the Golden Era 87-89.

i understand where youre coming from but older people consider the early & mid-80s as golden eras all the time.
and high-key, alot of oldheadsin say their 50s-60s, dont even rock with the late '80s as hard as the early & mids.

and even the younger OGs like some of this boards favorite rappers, have the mid-80s as their favorite era.
all the way down to this board's favorite rapper - Nas.

Rakim Allah

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
:stop:

he hasnt even put out much music in the past 20 years.

hes sporadically dropped a total of five albums after GOAT, and hasnt dropped any albums at all since 2013.

i understand where youre coming from but older people consider the early & mid-80s as golden eras all the time.
and high-key, alot of oldheadsin say their 50s-60s, dont even rock with the late '80s as hard as the early & mids.

and even the younger OGs like some of this boards favorite rappers, have the mid-80s as their favorite era.
all the way down to this board's favorite rapper - Nas.
Yeah, I think they do on Hip Hop as a whole including all the elements.

BBG

2014-2024
Daps
1. He came our rapping the way everybody rapped in the 80s and had success
2. He was in mainstream movies including the first "rap movie"
3. Platinum and Gold artist
4. Battle popular rappers on the way up and while on top
5. Updated his rap flow/cadence/delivery from the 80s to the 90s/2000s and still had success
6. One of the original 'your favorite rapper's rapper'
7. Repped Queens
8. Had a TV show
9. Basically ended underground rapper who had next and was nice (Canibus) almost 10 years after defeating fellow Harlem legend Kool Moe Dee (who won a Grammy)
10. Dropped last album 25+ years after dropping first album
11. Still around and would probably still embarrass someone you consider good/great

MAYBE if he rapped about OTHER people's lifestyle and maybe if he survived some bullets/dies younger, he'd have additional stars and stripes ... but that was not meant for him. GOAT status was meant for him.
morris you're my guy and all and i don't even know if you're white (I assume you are no offense lol) but that accidental racist shyt ain't no fake outrage. In fact I consider it completely unforgivable without a sincere public apology issued out to nikkas all over.

Everything you said was valid except for point 7 lmfao tf does that have to do with claim to GOAT :mjlol: but like I said dude cancelled in my eyes mothafukka has had 8 years to apologize for wishing well on Robert E. Lee amongst other bs in that song but he chose not to.

Oh before I go, message to everyone else saying this thread is disrespectful you nikkas are retarded I literally made an undercover LL appreciation thread expecting people to revel in his greatness (and possibly comment on blemishes for fair discussion) yet somehow y'all taking the thread as disrespect.

Do you fools listen to posters or troll through it

Big Mark

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
When the game was advancing. LL was on that selling record shyt making music for the ladies. I ain't mad at him but the reason why he is in my top 10 is because he didn't have to rap about street shyt. He spits about whatever he wanted. He did this all while living the life Jay and even Nas rapped about hanging out with Alpo and Kenneth Supreme and all them dudes. LL real and he is the on that I want to see do a diss track at Jay.

ajnapoleon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
When the game was advancing. LL was on that selling record shyt making music for the ladies. I ain't mad at him but the reason why he is in my top 10 is because he didn't have to rap about street shyt. He spits about whatever he wanted. He did this all while living the life Jay and even Nas rapped about hanging out with Alpo and Kenneth Supreme and all them dudes. LL real and he is the on that I want to see do a diss track at Jay.

Why?

Just Cause?

morris

Superstar
Daps
morris you're my guy and all and i don't even know if you're white (I assume you are no offense lol) but that accidental racist shyt ain't no fake outrage. In fact I consider it completely unforgivable without a sincere public apology issued out to nikkas all over.

Everything you said was valid except for point 7 lmfao tf does that have to do with claim to GOAT :mjlol: but like I said dude cancelled in my eyes mothafukka has had 8 years to apologize for wishing well on Robert E. Lee amongst other bs in that song but he chose not to.

Oh before I go, message to everyone else saying this thread is disrespectful you nikkas are retarded I literally made an undercover LL appreciation thread expecting people to revel in his greatness (and possibly comment on blemishes for fair discussion) yet somehow y'all taking the thread as disrespect.

Do you fools listen to posters or troll through it
I got blonde hair/blue eyes and from the mean skreetz of Greenwich, CT.

All good though. I'm not robert e lee approved and that song was not good even if LL's intentions were ...

#7 ... where rap became global. prior to that a fad. Queens has produced true legends that are global (LL, Run DMC, Salt n Pepa, Kid n Play, 50 Cent, Nikki Minaj). And to be considered one of the best in a borough that has consistently produced STARS (Nas and Mobb Deep are my guys and from my Grandma's old pj's but not global like the others listed) AND have longevity meas a lot. It's a NYC/QB thing.

All respect to you

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
The other GOAT candidates didn't make a song called Accidental Racist that suggest if whites overlook his gold chain he'd overlook slavery

Why-Fi

gnap
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
gnap
LL is a lil light wit the bars....just a lil, and I mean this only compared to the greats

who are the greats? because if you are talking golden era he was essentially the nicest besides rakim and kane. out of them, the king of concept records and ill hooks. dude was never light. even that exit 13 shyt he got busy on those terrible beats