What Happened To The Golden Age Of Black Sitcoms?

BlackMafia

Superstar
Daps
:patrice:Weren't 90% of the black sitcoms in the late 90s on one channel? WB I think it was.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
I'd love to see a black sitcom in a black middle class neighborhood, and all the teachers, co-workers etc are black, but don't announce that everyone is black, just let people notice, and when the others mention it, say, "WHAT? I have no idea what you're talking about. We did colorblind casting. We just chose the best actors and extras for the show. Stop race baiting!!"

I always felt like a lot of the 80s-90s shows were like that. The actors just happened to be black. Martin - radio DJ (meaning he has a degree), Gina - marketing prof, Cole just a everyman, Tommy - no one knew...but just fun. Family Matters, Mr Cooper, Living Single, Parent Hood, Sister Sister was Parent Trap - they didn't have to advertise that they were black, they just were. You appreciated it more.
:patrice:Weren't 90% of the black sitcoms in the late 90s on one channel? WB I think it was.

UPN had a monopoly on it. Most of them weren't good though, aside from Malcolm & Eddie.

Devilinurear

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
There were definitely more then than now but like someone said there are also less sitcoms now. Outside of Abc, most people aren’t doing the traditional family sitcoms anyway. And as long as black ish is around that’s always a good one to have. The mayor is a good look too so everyone in here bytching and moaning needs to check that out when it launches next month.
But they won't.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Before I begin I hope this doesn't turn into a reality tv bashing thread
By me saying that NO i'm not defending reality tv I don't watch it at all

Black tv shows are still being produced, They just moved on to drama.

Power
Survivor's Remorse
Saints and Sinners (BounceTV)
Scandal
Insecure
Empire
ect.

And there still are black sitcoms being made.

Black-ish
Family Time (Bounce TV)
The Mayor (ABC this fall)
Grown Folks (Bounce TV this fall)
No comparison.