What Happened To The Golden Age Of Black Sitcoms?

Eza

King Shiit
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
funny thing since Power and Snowfall wrapped up iv been watching What;s Happening
it is fantastic
just waiting for season 2 of Atlanta

I'd put Season 1 of "What's Happening" against any show ever. Great writing, storylines, and acting. That first episode gets watched religiously, the one where Raj snuck out to that party after he was supposed to stay home and babysit Dee..Too many classic lines...

OJ Simpsom

Banned
Daps
Atlanta
Insecure
The Get Down
Black-ish
Grown-ish
Black Jesus
Marlon
Empire
Survivor's Remorse
Ballers
Scandal
How To Get Away With Murder
Power
Greenleaf
Queen Sugar
Being Mary Jane
Love And Hip-Hop
Love They Neighbour
The Quad
Dear White People
If Loving You Is Wrong
Carmichael Show
Secrets And Lies

:camby:There's more variety of black shows than ever before.

Manuel Hot Pepper Lopez

cac this, cac that, c00n this c00n that
Daps
Reppin
-------------------------
Atlanta
Insecure
The Get Down
Black-ish
Grown-ish
Black Jesus
Marlon
Empire
Survivor's Remorse
Ballers
Scandal
How To Get Away With Murder
Power
Greenleaf
Queen Sugar
Being Mary Jane
Love And Hip-Hop
Love They Neighbour
The Quad
Dear White People
If Loving You Is Wrong
Carmichael Show
Secrets And Lies

:camby:There's more variety of black shows than ever before.
This thread is about sitcoms, and your list is 90% non-sitcoms. And one of the sitcoms is cancelled

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
im not really gettin this thread like that.
cause like muthafukkas in here already said, theres some real good black shows out right now.
alotta them shyts aint even being tagged in here like they should

*cough cough

Survivors Remorse!
:meloohhh:

Manuel Hot Pepper Lopez

cac this, cac that, c00n this c00n that
Daps
Reppin
-------------------------
:mjpls:Expect black people to just make funny shows and not ones that address real issues.
The thread title is clearly about SITCOMS. :what:
Do you realize that stands for "situational comedies?" Or are you just looking for a reason to argue on a Friday?

*edit* Dag, it's only Thursday :mjcry:

Last edited:

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
:mjpls:Expect black people to just make funny shows and not ones that address real issues.
what the hell are you talking about? the thread and video in OP specifically addresses black sitcoms...no one is calling the diversification of the types of black shows available today a bad thing, we're discussing the rise and fall of one genre specifically. :what:

OJ Simpsom

Banned
Daps
The thread title is clearly about SITCOMS. :what:
Do you realize that stands for "situational comedies?" Or are you just looking for a reason to argue on a Friday?
It's Thursday retard. Get a job.
what the hell are you talking about? the thread and video in OP specifically addresses black sitcoms...no one is calling the diversification of the types of black shows available today a bad thing, we're discussing the rise and fall of one genre specifically. :what:
And my point is that they are making less black sitcoms in order to make more variety black shows. How hard is that for you to understand. :what:

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
another thing that video doesn't discuss is hypersegmentation. looking at the shows yall posted in here, a lot of them can be considered niche as a lot of folks don't have access to/aren't paying for all the channels and platforms needed to watch all of them....i've never watched being mary jane, and i just had to google wtf bounce tv is (it's not in many markets). shows also speak to narrower audiences...back in the day we had fewer channels so everyone was on the same page, shows could more easily become iconic.

OJ Simpsom

Banned
Daps
:mjgrin:nikkaz in hear bytching cause they want the old golden age of Cosby back.

Go watch reruns then nikka.:camby:

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
It's Thursday retard. Get a job.

And my point is that they are making less black sitcoms in order to make more variety black shows. How hard is that for you to understand. :what:
neither one of your posts said that :rudy:

you made a list of shows where over half weren't sitcoms as if that was supposed to be proof the genre is alive...then you tried hard to call breh a c00n.

fine, if your argument is that sitcoms declined for the rise of other genres, i think that's pretty clear across the board. it would've been easy enough to just write that instead of looking to be combative.

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
Very true. Even with Marlon, he's ballin off a web hustle, his ex is in a giant house, her girl is in a lavish apartment, and there was an episode where he's trying to keep his spoiled and rich kids grounded by "bringing the hood" into their lives
Black people being rich is great to see, but at the same time it was nice to see Carmichael's living mad regular. That's something that really been missing from any black sitcom in years. Think of many of the GOAT black sitcoms

Sanford & Son - nikkas lived in a junkyard in Watts
Good Times - PJ's
What's Happening!! - LA hood
227 - apartment building with the stoop
Different World - struggle college living
Fresh Prince - Will was still going to hood spots, Jazz in Compton, going home to Philly
Martin - one bedroom apartment in the hood
Living Single - 3 females splitting rent
Jamie Foxx - lived in a hotel room and rode the bus most of it's run
Wayans Bros - bummy apartment in Harlem

Even with the new mini-boom in black shows, I'm sure we never getting one with black people in the hood again.
I don't know whether to laugh or be sad at this but it's 2017 ffs. I am glad black imagery on tv isn't just restricted to "being hood" or "struggling"