What Happened To The Golden Age Of Black Sitcoms?

BlackMafia

Superstar
Daps
neither one of your posts said that :rudy:

you made a list of shows where over half weren't sitcoms as if that was supposed to be proof the genre is alive...then you tried hard to call breh a c00n.

fine, if your argument is that sitcoms declined for the rise of other genres, i think that's pretty clear across the board. it would've been easy enough to just write that instead of looking to be combative.
Instead of making threads and videos asking what happened to the golden age of black sitcoms, why don't ya'll write one since you feel we need more. Even though most sitcoms in general are stale and repeat the same family storyline that has been done to death. If you really want more though, then you should write up a pilot and try and sell it. I doubt there are many original ideas out there for a fresh black sitcom, so Op or yourself should start the movement if you feel tv is lacking them type of shows. :manny:

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Instead of making threads and videos asking what happened to the golden age of black sitcoms, why don't ya'll write one since you feel we need more. Even though most sitcoms in general are stale and repeat the same family storyline that has been done to death. If you really want more though, then you should write up a pilot and try and sell it. I doubt there are many original ideas out there for a fresh black sitcom, so Op or yourself should start the movement if you feel tv is lacking them type of shows. :manny:
sitcoms aren't stale tho, that's your opinion, plenty people still watching today's sitcoms as well as one's from the past. they will always evolve. they went thru a revival with the single cam, dead pan humor era of things like the office, parks and rec, 30 rock, modern family, etc. and they're going thru one now with more nuanced humor such as atlanta and insecure, or ridiculousness like veep and kimmy schmidt. people will always want easy to digest, 30 minute shows that make them laugh, and yes family/work/friends are tried and true themes since they're the most common themes in people's lives...so again, that's your opinion that the family storyline is no longer entertaining. :manny:

edit: and this is a forum for tv/film, i don't know why you're so offended at the thought of people discussing the dearth of a certain type of (black) show, why even enter the thread if you're so anti sitcom?

BlackMafia

Superstar
Daps
sitcoms aren't stale tho,
:usure:How many new sitcoms (black and white) have been cancelled in the last 5 years. Your more likely to get a reboot/spinoff of an old sitcom than a new one cause they are stale. And by stale I mean 90% of sitcoms have the exact same situation. Family with kids or group of friends dealing with issues (love, dating, school, racism, technology, seniors, babysitting, pregnancy, etc, etc, etc.). You're lying to yourself if you think sitcoms aren't stale. They all cover the same issues and stories that were already done in the "golden age" of sitcoms and long before that. You really think there's enough fresh material to have 5-10 black sitcoms on air doing different things? That's just not realistic and is a waste of time and money to make a pilot that no one cares to watch cause there's already 10 shows like it on air.

RehReh

đź–¤GhettoDollyđź–¤
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
UK
I'd put Season 1 of "What's Happening" against any show ever. Great writing, storylines, and acting. That first episode gets watched religiously, the one where Raj snuck out to that party after he was supposed to stay home and babysit Dee..Too many classic lines...

it was sheer genius, the old lady telling the story and waking up ''THE END''
had me dying

• Dap
Reactions: Eza

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Would you rather have a few new black sitcoms or No black sitcoms at all?

I don't watch any of the shows you listed, but compared to where it was in the 80s/90s with what I grew up on, that is a serious drop off. I will check out The Mayor though. The ones you listed just came in the past 3-4 years, they're not my cup of tea. I still watch what I grew up on. But at one point there was like no black shows.

Fake outrage. People in general don't really watch sitcoms like that anymore black or white. It's all drama suspense now. Grey's anatomy. Empire. Game of thrones. Breaking bad. Etc. There are no more TGIF type sitcoms(Black or white )

I really wish they'd bring back the TGIF lineup. There's a place for it.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
:usure:How many new sitcoms (black and white) have been cancelled in the last 5 years. Your more likely to get a reboot/spinoff of an old sitcom than a new one cause they are stale. And by stale I mean 90% of sitcoms have the exact same situation. Family with kids or group of friends dealing with issues (love, dating, school, racism, technology, seniors, babysitting, pregnancy, etc, etc, etc.). You're lying to yourself if you think sitcoms aren't stale. They all cover the same issues and stories that were already done in the "golden age" of sitcoms and long before that. You really think there's enough fresh material to have 5-10 black sitcoms on air doing different things? That's just not realistic and is a waste of time and money to make a pilot that no one cares to watch cause there's already 10 shows like it on air.
how many shows in general get canceled? that's nothing new....family ("this is us" is one of the top shows right now) & friends dealing with issues also drive tv dramas and all sorts of movies...like wtf are you talking about? if that's the case everything is stale :what:

and comedic movies and romcoms are nothing but long form sitcoms, yet that genre still pumps out dozens of movies each year, with some breakthrough hits. people have not just lost their will to laugh at stupid shyt, no matter how many times it's been done. it's always sunny is still going strong, veep is still hot - having won plenty of awards, curb is back, master of none has been a hit, the league was a hit, goldbergs has been a hit, blackish has been a hit, big bang theory is or was pulling in somewhere near the highest network ratings....stop. yes, the drama is back, it's going strong and bringing movie level writing, acting, and effects to tv, but the sitcom isn't dead.

and yes, there is enough material to have 5-10 black sitcoms - a girlfriends type show, is different from some family set in the inner city, which is different than some bourgie black couple, which would differ from a show set in a black workplace, etc. furthermore a show geared toward people 50 and up (think the jeffersons) will explore different themes than one targeting 18-34 yr olds (atlanta), which will be different from something targeting kids and young adults (like sister sister or moesha). look at two of the breakthrough black shows right now (insecure and atlanta), they deal with many of the same things: young black friends, relationships and navigating careers with some social subtext - two shows with that much overlap are doing perfectly fine, and they have left plenty of room for other black sitcoms to explore.

edit: i just saw you started a south park season 21 thread....then have the nerve to talk about stale :dead:

BlackMafia

Superstar
Daps
full
:ehh:Didn't read.

Last edited:

Jimi Swagger

I say whatever I think should be said
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Turtle Island to DXB
It seems whenever these conglomerates like Viacomm and Time Warner bought up everything in 2000, Black TV became very shytty and extremely demonic. That's when BET dropped intellectual programming like Teen Summit and Ed Gordon and then launched shyt like Uncut. Other network shows were shyt copies of White shows or rehashed 90s sitcoms like Girlfriends (Sex in the City meets Living Single) and 106 and Park (bootleg ass MTV TRL). Tyler Perry was emerging on the scene with them shyt movies and then they gave him money to pump out those horrible shows mid-late 00s. Thank your first Black President, Bill Clinton, for deregulating media in 1996.

Honestly TV became shytty period, nothing but reality shows as they were cheap to film with high returns. Just an :flabbynsick: griping.

BlackMafia

Superstar
Daps
We could definitely use more black sitcoms, and not that nonsense that Tyler Perry puts out with fat big mommas.
Tyler is the reason no one wants anymore of these c00n ass sit coms. You can't force funny.

Black Sitcoms are dead now since we will never get another comedian/actor on the level of Bill Cosby, Steve Urkel, Will Smith or George Jefferson .

Anthony Anderson c00ning on Blackish is all we have now.

Last edited: