What does Mona Scott the founder of media takeout and the founder shade room all have in common?

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
@IllmaticDelta is there any connection between hip hop graffiti and Harlem Renaissance art?

nope....hiphop graffiti basically started from street crews/gangs and their handstyle tags before it expanded to actual art

Paint It Back: The History of American Graffiti

Thanks to President Obama and the Academy Awards, Shepard Fairey and Banksy are household names today. But before mainstream media plastered their work across the world, they’d already done it for themselves, rising to the status of contemporary street art royalty: infamous and rich for making illegal and legal artwork that kids cop and celebrities and curators covet. Both artists would admit, however, that they are just part of a continuum. As Roger Gastman and Caleb Neelon, co-authors of The History of American Graffiti, assert in their introduction, “Humans write graffiti.” So true: cave paintings, petroglyphs, and pictographs begat World War II “Kilroy was here” and Bozo Texino scrawls on railcars begat disenfranchised kids “getting up” on any surface they could slick with ink and paint.
Exactly who was the first kid to spread a name or moniker across a cityscape is up for debate, but this book is as close as one will ever get to a definitive answer. A blow-by-blow, regional dissection of graffiti’s proliferation across the United States, relying on first-hand accounts, interviews, mountains of photographs, and a pinch of healthy speculation, Gastman and Neelon have connected the dots to reveal a comprehensive and important story about how doing something as simple as writing your name in a public space grew into a global movement that has left its colorful residue on all aspects of culture, from politics and media to fashion and urban planning.

Common knowledge to those in the know, but perhaps a surprise to neophytes, graffiti as we think of it today started in Philadelphia, not New York. In 1965, yearning for his grandmother’s cornbread while at reform school, Darryl Alexander McCray started writing CORNBREAD on the school’s buildings, vying for attention alongside the names of gangs. Released in 1967, CORNBREAD ran roughshod through North Philadelphia, inspiring others like COOL EARL and KOOL KLEPTO KIDD. Soon, teenagers were canvassing the city with their tags, running in crews, and keeping tabs on other crews operating in different neighborhoods (which eventually led to crews with national chapters, like TKO). KOOL KLEPTO KIDD recalls the first time he met writers from West Philadelphia, “that was really a beautiful feeling because we had been tracking each other for the longest time.”

There is an element of graffiti fueled by conflict – personal beefs, neighborhood disputes, gang rivalries – and while the book does not shy away from these realities, the dominant theme is that kids rallied around graffiti. In fact, as the authors astutely point out, they invented it: “Graffiti can claim something that no other art movement can: it was entirely created and developed by kids.” With the disillusionment fomented by a string of senseless assassinations, the Vietnam War, and Watergate, kids knew that it was up to them to stake their claim in a culture that was both indifferent and inept when it came to bettering the quality of life in the country’s urban centers.

Certainly that is what happened in New York when graffiti really took shape as the city’s finances and national reputation were in a downward spiral. As LIL SOUL 159, a Queens-based writer active in the early 1970s insists, “Any writer will tell you that graffiti tore down the racial barriers of the late 1960s and early 1970s – eradicated them! And you just didn’t see that in New York City until graffiti hit the scene. Once we smelled that ink, we were just writers.” This sense of camaraderie fueled with a dose of healthy competition spawned the highly stylized, audacious lettering that blanketed trains, buildings, billboards, and any other imaginable city substrate so as to spread a name far and wide. Writers prioritized subway lines that covered the most ground. Seeing SUPER KOOL 223 all over the 4 train, which runs between the Bronx and Brooklyn, STAY HIGH 149 decided he had to go bigger and better. This attitude, shared by most writers, resulted in tags evolving from written monikers followed by numbers usually representing streets to more ornate pieces comprising block and bubble lettering, characters, and other visual ornaments.

The same as MTA trains carried a writer’s fame across boroughs, freight trains began to crisscross the county ablaze with the work of writers no longer content to be all-city. The freights let kids who had never been out of state go all-country, spreading graffiti through the suburbs and desolate plains of middle America. While plenty of books have documented the graffiti of New York, Los Angeles, the San Francisco Bay Area, and the primary instigators of these scenes, Gastman and Neelon have dug much, much deeper, covering cities like Chicago and Washington D.C., as well as Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Boston, Nashville, Denver, Alburquerque – the list goes on. In doing so they trace graffiti’s development and make the case for it as a true American art form akin to jazz.

In the 1980s, the documentary Wild Style and the book Subway Art played major roles in establishing graffiti as a legitimate art movement; bolstered by its relationship to hip-hop, writers got their first tastes of celebrity and gallery cultures. At the same time, because of the work they did on the streets, the media clumped Keith Haring and Jean-Michel Basquiat with writers like DAZE. Neither Haring nor Basquiat considered themselves graffiti artists, but they did help usher in the era of street art. While traditional aerosol tags continued to go up all over the country, and world, new materials and methods were applied to the streets. Posters, stickers, and stencils carried messages, logos, and more formalized characters. Today graffiti and street art thrive; artists travel the world, receive commissions, sell their art for huge sums, and license their work for ads, sneakers, and video games.

But one person’s hero is another’s vandal. Street art remains illegal almost everywhere. Municipalities actively and aggressively buff people’s work. Visit a wall in some city today and it won’t look like it did back in 1979, 1985, 1999, or even 2004. The carvings and paintings of France’s Lascaux caves and the canyons of the American southwest have been preserved as vital visual records of how early humans externalized interior thoughts. But the graffiti in this book has been painted over or chipped away, though it serves as the foundation for a global art movement that is as much about claiming individuality as it is about visual aesthetics.

This is what makes The History of American Graffiti that much more impressive. Roger Gastman and Caleb Neelon have gathered the origins of a story that up until now have only existed in fragments. For graffiti fans, pieces of the puzzle will be filled in and the riot of never-before-seen imagery will guarantee that this book is always within reach. Don’t like graffiti? It matters not, as this is a worthy read if you have any interest in late twentieth century America because the world we live in would not look the same if it weren’t for bold, creative kids hell bent on making sure that their presence was recognized by a culture that easily could have forgotten them.

Paint It Back: The History of American Graffiti - The Millions

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I seek affinity with all of us. I do not hate my cousins. I don’t like when people shyt on Haiti (Haitian/West Indian grandparents on one side) and I don’t use the term “boat brehs”. I have always respected continentals as hard working, smart, charming and resourceful people.

But any black person who speaks that “mud hut”, or “no culture”, or “better the race” shyt has to be dealt with. Because at some point black figures from all over have come together to create good things and perspectives. So on principle, that c00n shyt is disrespectfully pissing on all that heartache and suffering that gave way to respected platforms

I just hate these mfs that are putting down others for points. Including “our kind of people” aframs. Immigrant blacks don’t have to pay homage or outright respect us. We just all need to not outright disrespect each other. There’s no [respectable] trophy to get from it

No doubt. I've never heard anyone from my family talk shyt about or let alone try to differentiate themselves from African Americans. The most some of my fam will do is give me shyt for being very Americanized (I can't speak patois and I'm not a huge fan of reggae.)

The only time I can recall a Jamaican saying racist shyt about African Americans was a parent of a student I met at a college tour, but he was a white Jamaican. Though I'm not denying the fact that the type of black Jamaicans ya'll are talking about exist.

Kerkum

Superstar
Daps
Word. Running from their all black countries that they claim to be so proud to MY country where my descendants roamed. Blaming all the problems in their shythole countries on white people while accusing black americans of blaming the white man in a majority white country where we're ACTUALLY from. How pathetic! The irony is off the meter!
Look at #AAGang showing up to show out:wow:

Hoodoo Child

The Urban Legend
Daps
Reppin
The Crossroads
there presence in America prior to us I would brush aside, thats the only thing they can claim to. and its very miniscule thing to brag, as America wasnt really America until we got there.

Meanwhile we built this stuff both in terms of the wealth but in infrastructure. Cacs would have never been able to build this.

As well contributions such as making the architecture, bringing in domestic customs that saved cacs babies from dying/have better care, etc

Then you got the wars we were in, culture, food etc
Sig worthy :wow:

CASHAPP

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
A
There’s mad Ethiopians in LA who will live in the Hood with AAs, have a liquor store or whatever business in the hood, then their house has 7 foot high hedges with security cameras and a big ass dog behind the fence. Their kids might even act cool but then piss them off and they start talking that ‘never been slaves’ shyt.

AAs really are all we got, we’re our own special tribe and have been since they purposely mixed us all together in those ships. Shoutout to the fake deep 45 year old nikka in here calling AAs ‘spooks and jigaboos and "pickannies/pickneys" ’ while flexing with $200 in 20s.

fixed :mjpls:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
That’s actually funny because the main people on this site walking around saying NYc is filled with foreigners are AAs who want to give themselves a reason to diss NYC since according to them NYC has no AAs or “disconnected AAs”

I can't find the exact numbers right now but aframs are probably still the largest single black ethnic group in NYC
And foreigners in NYC don’t have to exaggerate their numbers :russ:.

I've definitely saw some posts/threads on here where the historical, west indian/carib presence in NYC was exaggerated on some:what::pachaha:

Does the large Caribbean presence in NYC's Hip Hop scene explain the disconnect with other regions?

List of Rappers of Caribbean Descent (Nicki Minaj, Jay Z, 50 Cent , more)

Daps
Reppin
Midwest/East Coast/Tx (Now in Canada)
No doubt. I've never heard anyone from my family talk shyt about or let alone try to differentiate themselves from African Americans. The most some of my fam will do is give me shyt for being very Americanized (I can't speak patois and I'm not a huge fan of reggae.)

The only time I can recall a Jamaican saying racist shyt about African Americans was a parent of a student I met at a college tour, but he was a white Jamaican. Though I'm not denying the fact that the type of black Jamaicans ya'll are talking about exist.
Why do Jamaicans minimize the Afram influence on reggae, and exaggerate their contributions to hip hop?
They shouldn't be mad at you for embracing the source material, technically speaking.

Ya?

Banned
Daps
Opppp just another hate on Africans and other blacks that are not AA thread. OP who are the consumers of the garbage been put out? You talk about exploitation but yet consumers are AA who propel and make crap like these a success.
As always. I wonder if some of these posters be so hung ho when all these non black minorities exploit them. Non black hispanics been in this exploitation game for a very a long time. Nary I hear peep but when it’s actual black people from other cultures and not mestizos now it’s a problem.

Exploitation no matter what shade is doing it is a problem. Start, with white/mixed hispanics & Asians y’all love so much and then come and talk to me about BLack West Indians, Africans and Latinos.

And it’s hard to take any group that give every other group the red carpet treatment just be phased out of their own seriously but then be ready to fight when it is people who look like them from other cultures doing it.

I don’t disagree with the OP entirely but the motivation behind this thread is contrived.

Last edited:

CASHAPP

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Since this thread got off the original point a bit what I wanted to ask y’all is if or when a foreign Black ever Has a platform that discusses AA people in positive ways what do you think it would be?

Or better yet what are some ways you think they can show positive images of AA

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Since this thread got off the original point a bit what I wanted to ask y’all is if or when a foreign Black ever Has a platform that discusses AA people in positive ways what do you think it would be?

Or better yet what are some ways you think they can show positive images of AA
Earl Graves says Hi & Bye!

JUNE19971.jpg

So does Min. Farrakhan

5b77491b75f1817bca6e68263637472f.562x857x1.gif