What Do You Think Makes a Man?

bcrusaderw

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Besides the obvious XY chromosome what do you think makes a man?

Is it the ability and willingness to care for offspring?
Ability to provide?
Ability to help foster and maintain a viable community?

If they can't do the things that society generally thinks a man should do do you think that negatively affects them? What are the effects?

Arishok

No
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The 'Go
There's a saying I have

"A man is built not born, a man has to earn his stripes to be a man."

Men are hard-working, ambitious, grounded, practical, dependable, protective, strong-willed, experienced, and a leader whether that be to his community, his country, or to his wife and family. Man is a title that must be earned. Many males of an adult age are not true men. A man earns his badge through his experience and conquests. His bravery and independence earns him respect.
All this plus a man whose okay with sharing his emotional state with you. Alot of men don't share how they feel because ofthe stigmas but any man who's okay with showing that side of him takes a lot of strength to do

Michael9100

The Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
houston
There's a saying I have

Men are hard-working, ambitious, grounded, practical, dependable, protective, strong-willed, experienced, and a leader whether that be to his(her)** community, his(her)** country, or to his(her)** wife(Husband)** and family. Man is a title that must be earned. Many males of an adult age are not true men. A man earns his badge through his experience and conquests. His bravery and independence earns him respect.

A woman can do all of that as well... does that make her a man?

Daps
Reppin
flowerpots
No. Pressure is a good thing. For both genders.
So many men think it's ok to just sit around, grab a bag of chips, dress bummy, and scratch their belly while watching re runs of CSI Miami because their penis is the only thing that validates their manhood and makes them entitled to having a submissive, loyal girlfriend/wife.
I disagree :yeshrug:
life is a lot more than being the best woman or man
I think a lot of people would be happier if they didn't look at everything from a gendered pov

capt_saveahoe

All Star
Daps
All this plus a man whose okay with sharing his emotional state with you. Alot of men don't share how they feel because ofthe stigmas but any man who's okay with showing that side of him takes a lot of strength to do

Sharing or being emotional is a sure fire way to have people (especially women) view you as weak.

As men we are measured by our accomplishments, no one gives a fukk about the struggles and sacrifices it took us to get there. A man should only share or open up emotionally after he has solved the issue, and should only speak of his struggles in an abstract way. NEVER EVER share details of your short comings even after you overcame them.

This is one area where you do not listen to what women say about being open. They will use it against you when an opportunity arises

Daps
Reppin
flowerpots
When did I list detachment or aggression as being what makes a man?
list what you think positive male hardships are then
whatever they are though, sitting on a high horse and thinking men need to go through hell just to be considered worth anything is really fukked up and vindictive

capt_saveahoe

All Star
Daps
Weakness is synonymous with softness which is a trait associated with pushovers.

Now how is it hard to understand where I got that from? :comeon:

Yikes! You dont seem to understand anything i wrote, and you arent saying anything in your reply.

Daps
Reppin
flowerpots
I already did. Read my first post on this thread.
I'm not "sitting on a high horse" and I'm not being vindictive. I don't have any sort of ill emotions to the male sex. You seem clouded by your own personal feelings and judgment. You're making assumptions out of thin air.

This is the real life. People are what they do. We don't give people "passes" just because what they THINK they are.

You said

Weakness is synonymous with softness which is a trait associated with pushovers.

Now how is it hard to understand where I got that from? :comeon:
ambitious, grounded, practical, dependable, protective, strong-willed, experienced, and a leader whether that be to his community, his country, or to his wife and family. Man is a title that must be earned. Many males of an adult age are not true men. A man earns his badge through his experience and conquests. His bravery and independence earns him respect.
yeah, that is totally realistic to expect from someone because they are male
don't talk about real life, being born as a certain sex doesn't mean you have the same expectations ascribed to you, especially since those expectations vary from culture to culture

men are people, men are people with penises
thats it

Daps
Reppin
flowerpots
Do you believe in terms like "genderfluid" "agender" and "non-binary"?
Do you believe gender roles are a social construct?

Many of the traits I described are a reappearing belief in societies and cultures. It's not like I said "to be a true man you must play video games and kill people" or something.
modern gender roles aren't the same as the gender roles cavemen would have that actually correlated to men and womens physical abilities so yeah, a lot of them are based off social interaction

why does a man have to be a leader? Why does a man need to be depended on, soley based on their gender?
mens identity has become so warped with all these expectations, to the point where they don't feel like they can be genuine

agnosticlady

AL loves da kids : )
Daps
There's a saying I have

Men are hard-working, ambitious, grounded, practical, dependable, protective, strong-willed, experienced, and a leader whether that be to his community, his country, or to his wife and family. Man is a title that must be earned. Many males of an adult age are not true men. A man earns his badge through his experience and conquests. His bravery and independence earns him respect.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I would also add that a man is emotionally mature. For instance, if I were married and my husband has a tough career I do not want him coming home with anger from the job berating everyone in the house. I see too many males and females in adult bodies calling themselves a man/woman.