What do you all consider a strong squat and bench press?

Daps
I'll be honest and I'm usually a prick.....

225lbs for both is a good weight for reps....

Anything else is pretty much excessive and isn't really recommended long term, no matter how good your "form" or experience....

There's really no need that isn't served from 225lbs for reps....

Remember end game should be, fit and injury(chronic) free....

So you wouldn't recommend anyone to go over 225?

Short story this older cat I was locked with in prison, was strong as hell but he never squatted, benched or dead lifted more than 225.

Just would do reps reps reps,talking about hitting 225 for 40 reps type strong.

He simply said no reason to go any heavier.

Wats your reason tho?

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
So you wouldn't recommend anyone to go over 225?

Short story this older cat I was locked with in prison, was strong as hell but he never squatted, benched or dead lifted more than 225.

Just would do reps reps reps,talking about hitting 225 for 40 reps type strong.

He simply said no reason to go any heavier.

Wats your reason tho?
You can go heavier, but I just believe in terms of control, the average breh who's been working out for minute can control 225lbs, given a joint were to snap, or something were to knock you off your equilibrium.
Me personally, I use a bit more weight, because I'm still a young breh, but when I hit my mid 30's I'll probably start scaling back....

Daps
You can go heavier, but I just believe in terms of control, the average breh who's been working out for minute can control 225lbs, given a joint were to snap, or something were to knock you off your equilibrium.
Me personally, I use a bit more weight, because I'm still a young breh, but when I hit my mid 30's I'll probably start scaling back....

Respectable

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
Respectable
On a sidenote what was in like in the pen, in regards to working out: diet,exercises,days you worked out,and the ratio of cats in shape vs not in shape. Were cats who worked out built like bodybuilders or just focused on strength..

I heard they took weights out of a lot of facilities. Did you have any makeshift weights or regular weights

Honestly you could make a whole thread off this, I know a lot of people would be interested..

Daps
On a sidenote what was in like in the pen, in regards to working out: diet,exercises,days you worked out,and the ratio of cats in shape vs not in shape. Were cats who worked out built like bodybuilders or just focused on strength..

I heard they took weights out of a lot of facilities. Did you have any makeshift weights or regular weights

Honestly you could make a whole thread off this, I know a lot of people would be interested..

Diet:
Hard as hell to eat clean if you don't have people from the outside giving you money on the regular and enough of it,some guys had alot of support so they were able to get Fish,Tuna,Nuts,Cashews,Peanut Butter,Oatmeal,Fruit,etc on the regular

But most guys had to eat stuff outta chow hall which 95% of it is terrible,and eat chips,candy and cookups(Ramen Noodles,peppers,beef sticks,cheese,chips)

Milk was always available for everyone during chow and guys who was serious about working out always drunk em and stole em to stash em for later,especially the cats with no money,because protein is hard to come by once again if you are limited on money. Prison items aren't that much,but some people have 0 support,or others have to divide their money between,food,phone,hygeine items,etc,so for some cats it's tough.

Exercises:

Alot of guys do a push and pull routine,so me and my partners would do for instance Chest and Shoulders for Push(18 sets for each body part totaling 36 altogether everyday,every body part) then do Arms and Back, this would be M-F 2 hours everyday, sometimes we would do calisthenic work for a week straight just to loosen the muscle,but mostly we were on the weights.

Monday&Wed(Chest&Shoulders):

Chest:
Incline Bench(5 sets) Rep range 20,15,12,8,4
Flat(5 sets) Rep Range 20,15,12,8,4
Decline(5 sets) Rep Range 20,15,12,8,4
Pushups (3 sets) Burnouts

Shoulder(Reps and Sets same as chest):
Dumbbell Shoulder Press
Standing Lateral Raises
Seated OHP
Shrugs/Pullups(Burnout)

Tuesday&Thursday(Arms&Back)
Biceps:
Preacher Curls
Single Arm Curls
Hammer Curls
Chin-ups

Triceps:
Dips
Skull Crushers
Close Grip Bench
Dips(Cats are crazy about the dips in there)

Back:
Deadlift
Bent Over Row
Pullups
Lat Pull-Downs

Friday(Legs&Abs)
Squats
Calf Raises
Lunges
Leg Presses

ABs:
Sit-ups
Planks
Dumbbell Side Bends

Saturday's(Calisthenics)
Pushups
Pullups
Dips

Sunday Rest

Now when you say in shape,I think of cats who are lean and who have wind and are strong,so if were going by those standards,then no,not alot of guys in there who are like that.

You have the very few guys who do nothing,no running,no lifting,no calisthenics,just don't workout at all.

Then you have the very few guys who are ripped,strong and big.

But alot of guys are strong,but alot of bodyfat,and no wind,you got the guys who have no abs,but have a flat stomach,but most guys have a stomach if they're super strong,like I said it's some genetic freaks in there,but not many.

So most cats focused on strength,mainly to be strong to protect themselves,or for intimidation,but most of those guys had no wind,so some of em got beat up as they would tire out very very quickly.

The majority of guys who were crazy ripped(10% and lower) did alot of calisthenic work.

No weights are still around alot of places,guess it depends on where your locked up at,and what level facility your at,maximum security places have no free weights,all machine,lower levels have it all.

We also would have the strong man competition and iron man competition every summer.

Strong man went by weight classes,and it was some strong cats fareal

Iron man went by age group,and that was more endurance type,but it was some strong cats who would win those as well

If you won both of those,or even one of em,cats had respect for you.

I could make a full thread,but alot of cats on here are ignorant,come in talking shyt and what not,but if enough people wanted info on this type of stuff,I'd have no problem,if you got any questions on anything or if I missed a question let me know breh. @Serious

Last edited:

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
:ehh: sounds about right, if I had more time and lived walking distance to the gym(like across the street), I'd workout everyday. I remember watching a documentary a few years back that talked powerlifting in prison. Won't front I used it motivation to get stronger in the past.Thanks for taking your time out to share breh. Idk where I heard about the weights being taken out, but it's w/e. Either way, I thinking working out and being able to lift is a great release for cats locked up, because staying in shape to a large degree, is one of the few things in life a person really has control over in their life. For the most part being in shape shows hard work and dedication. Not surprised that cats focused purely on strength and bulk, get rocked, due to the lack of endurance, I know I just recently decided to up my cardio...

And nah breh, if you were to make a thread, most people wouldn't trip, they'd be curious at best, but that's on you...
Even in TLR, if you made something along the lines of "Ask me anything about XYZ" .....followed by "I was in XYZ".....you'd get a lot of curious responses mixed in with some trolls who shouldn't be taken seriously anyways....

Daps
:ehh: sounds about right, if I had more time and lived walking distance to the gym(like across the street), I'd workout everyday. I remember watching a documentary a few years back that talked powerlifting in prison. Won't front I used it motivation to get stronger in the past.Thanks for taking your time out to share breh. Idk where I heard about the weights being taken out, but it's w/e. Either way, I thinking working out and being able to lift is a great release for cats locked up, because staying in shape to a large degree, is one of the few things in life a person really has control over in their life. For the most part being in shape shows hard work and dedication. Not surprised that cats focused purely on strength and bulk, get rocked, due to the lack of endurance, I know I just recently decided to up my cardio...

And nah breh, if you were to make a thread, most people wouldn't trip, they'd be curious at best, but that's on you...
Even in TLR, if you made something along the lines of "Ask me anything about XYZ" .....followed by "I was in XYZ".....you'd get a lot of curious responses mixed in with some trolls who shouldn't be taken seriously anyways....

Damn bro,I never seen these video's,but that's exactly how it is in prison,I've watched lock up,but these look like older episodes:ohhh:

But that's exactly how it is breh,and yea,I think Cali had some joints take they weights out,but every joint I was at had weights.

And yes breh,weights,sports all take aggression away which is why alot of facilites still have them,but it's a privilege in there,where as on the streets it's up to you rather you wanna do it,so alot of guys stay outta trouble or try to,to not have their priveleges taken.

And yes bro do Cardio,so many guys in the joint and out the joint refuse to do it,it makes a difference.

I'ma take yo word and make a thread my guy,hopefully it goes smooth

Daps
Reppin
The Last of the Outlaws
I'll be honest and I'm usually a prick.....

225lbs for both is a good weight for reps....

Anything else is pretty much excessive and isn't really recommended long term, no matter how good your "form" or experience....

There's really no need that isn't served from 225lbs for reps....

Remember end game should be, fit and injury(chronic) free....

I agree to an extent. 225 done properly covers the basics for sure.

For me the squat and deadlifts especially I need my trips to the 4 plate and up club strictly for sanity purposes.

If I can offer the 20 something's here advice its this. .. IF you take care of yourself in your 20's your body WILL respond accordingly in your early to mid 30's I've noticed.

For me if you can do 185 to 225ish on the bench without your elbows flying all over the place I respect that.

Squatting 185 - 225 parallel since I RARELY see that here. Dope.

Cats rarely deadlift at the LA Fitness I go to regularly. And the lifetime no one goes above 225 so I get to look like a meathead every time I do. :francis:

Daps
Reppin
The Last of the Outlaws
Yeah I feel you on the squatting and deadlifting more for sanity.

But tbh you're not the average breh, you're like 6'7 270 something....

To be honest I've only been "powerlifting" for 3 years. I didn't start lifting in any serious manner IMO until I was almost 30.

I spent my 20's doing Jiu Jitsu, 5k's and bro splits etc. size came from genetics

Daps
I agree to an extent. 225 done properly covers the basics for sure.

For me the squat and deadlifts especially I need my trips to the 4 plate and up club strictly for sanity purposes.

If I can offer the 20 something's here advice its this. .. IF you take care of yourself in your 20's your body WILL respond accordingly in your early to mid 30's I've noticed.

For me if you can do 185 to 225ish on the bench without your elbows flying all over the place I respect that.

Squatting 185 - 225 parallel since I RARELY see that here. Dope.

Cats rarely deadlift at the LA Fitness I go to regularly. And the lifetime no one goes above 225 so I get to look like a meathead every time I do. :francis:

How old are you breh?

Daps
Reppin
The Last of the Outlaws

tumblr_n8xb09MP6W1qaa8d1o1_500.gif