What are yall thoughts on Bill Cosby's Pound cake speech??

RickyDiBiase

The Sword of Jesus of Nazareth
Daps
Reppin
Cbus
This waving away of reality is also part of the problem.

So if you're part of the problem and I'm part of the problem, where do we go from here?

How do these ideological factions in the black community move forward?

Because at this point, no one is changing the others mind.

The problem is ya'll choose to focus on bullshyt and not the meat and potatoes of a lot of issues.

People do not have "ideological factions" because majority of people by and large do not have a consistent ideology.

And I hate to bug a lot of you bougie nikkas, but a man who sags his pants, may not speak the kings English and use "nikka" is still a fukking man, and still worthy of being treated with dignity and respect. The average mfer ain't dumb, and can tell when a mfer is talking or looking down on them, which is something a lot of ya'll will never shake yourselves from and it's why it goes in one ear and out the other.

And for the record, let me be clear, I had no problem with what Cosby said, it's just that it came from fukking Bill Cosby.

But if you can't meet a man where he is at, and treat him as your equal, he's not gonna engage or take your concerns seriously. Just like a mfer who's college educated is not gonna heed the words of a motherfukker who think's he's soft" cause he ain't served a bid or whatever these sissies be on.

jilla82

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the internet
It's the reason black people didn't rush to his defense. He basically demonstrated a lack of understanding for the role infrastructure, generational wealth, and systemic racism played in creating a class of black people that don't care about anything anymore other than making money and dominating those around them.

He's not asking WHY the parents have to work so hard that they can't be around their children to guide them. He's not asking WHY the school doesn't have teachers who can educate the children. He doesn't ask WHAT compells young people to join gangs. He essentially blames black peoples depression on black people themselves rather than the material conditions they've been forced to live with. He demonstrates a clear misunderstanding of survivorship bias while giving a textbook example of it in his speech.

To succeed financially in America, black people need access to job security. That means union jobs where a white boss can't just fire you because you got "uppity". They need Healthcare so their ADHD child can get Ritalin and sit down and study. Black people need access to loans so they can own their apartments instead of living paycheck to paycheck hoping they don't get sick and can't afford rent before getting booted out by a corporately owned building. Black people need protection from gentrification so those rents aren't going up. Black kids need access to well funded schools where the teachers can actually explain how the material being taught will result in job security and freedom. The gang represents protection from violence and the promise of FAST money with a direct connection between your labor and your pay. If you're a shooter in a gang, you hit the target and collect your money. There's an instant payout for completing your employer's goal. If you're a pusher, you get paid immediately from the transaction and pocket a percentage for yourself. The gang has structure, it has money, and it offers a sense of reputation and safety.

If someone who isn't affiliated knows you're part of a gang that took down local Latino gangs or chased out white supremacists gangs, they'll treat you differently. That is what parents are competing against. Unless someone has lived with the level of desperation and suicidal depression that being poor creates in a person, they look real foolish trying to tell others the reason they're miserable is their attitude as if they haven't tried to smile, shuck and jive and do all the things you're supposed to do to make people comfortable around them.
fam I promise you life in the western world isnt that difficult.

make decent decisions and youll be rewarded.

Dont have kids before youre ready,
focus on a skill,
avoid catching a felony

lock up people destroying your neighborhood
be kind to other people

thats all black folks need to do...
everything youre saying boils down to "the government needs to take care of us"

MyApps

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I agreed.
People in 2024 still saying it was "harsh".
That's the problem, y'all don't want to be judged.
Or held accountable.
Tough shyt.
No more assauging your feelings.
Being soft is why we're at where we're at.
Y'all said he was wrong.
But in 20 years, y'all haven't done nothing to prove him wrong.

Black America needs tough love. I'm sorry. I need it. You need it. We all need it to get better.

I think you hit the nail on the head. No one wants accountability and will deflect even more now because of the messenger's dirty past.

Those of us who were born in the 1900's (especially those of us who were born in the 70's, 80's, and early 90's) and had strong Black men in our lives have personally heard what Dr. Cosby said. Our fathers, uncles, pastors, coaches, mentors, etc. gave us that same guidance because they gave a damn about us.

The problem isn't what Dr. Cosby said, the problem is that he had to say it in the first place. If we truly are kings, queens, and gods, then we shouldn't be walking around with our pants hanging off of our asses, we shouldn't be calling each other n-words, we shouldn't take pride in speaking gibberish, we shouldn't want to portray negative stereotypes, and we shouldn't be killing each other over bullshyt.

We're better than that, and we can return to the standards of excellence that we once held. That's all Dr. Cosby said; the fact that that sentiment is so unpopular amongst some of us baffles me.
All posts are valid.

He'd from a different time where his communication style is different but effective. Nikkas really are too soft.

RickyDiBiase

Daps
Reppin
Cbus
Don't be sorry, tell us why you think that having standards and personal accountability is bullshyt.
The problem is ya'll choose to focus on bullshyt and not the meat and potatoes of a lot of issues.

People do not have "ideological factions" because majority of people by and large do not have a consistent ideology.

And I hate to bug a lot of you bougie nikkas, but a man who sags his pants, may not speak the kings English and use "nikka" is still a fukking man, and still worthy of being treated with dignity and respect. The average mfer ain't dumb, and can tell when a mfer is talking or looking down on them, which is something a lot of ya'll will never shake yourselves from and it's why it goes in one ear and out the other.

And for the record, let me be clear, I had no problem with what Cosby said, it's just that it came from fukking Bill Cosby.

But if you can't meet a man where he is at, and treat him as your equal, he's not gonna engage or take your concerns seriously. Just like a mfer who's college educated is not gonna heed the words of a motherfukker who think's he's soft" cause he ain't served a bid or whatever these sissies be on.

Ski Mask

Friendzone: Collection 1
Daps
Reppin
Vegas
"In the speech, Cosby says that African Americans should no longer blame discrimination, segregation, governmental institutions, or others for higher unemployment rates among Blacks or the racial achievement gap; rather, they have their own culture of poverty to blame"

Looking back at it now, this one of the major reasons why people got turned off. It's not the speech in it' self, but just like chris rock's joke, white people propped it up as a way to say that our situation was born from our hands and that racism(in this case police brutality) was justified. I mean, you can't tell me that "'The cops shouldn't have shot him.' What the hell was he doing with the pound cake in his hand?" don't sound similar to "why did tamir have a gun" "Pants Up, Don't Loot" or "why mike stole those cigarillos".

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps

You having an issue with the messenger doesn't invalidate the message. Just because you don't approve of Dr. Cosby, you said that the old school principles and values that we were taught are "bullshyt and part of the problem".
You missed a positive message because you have negative views of the man.

Ty Daniels

All Star
Daps
It's the reason black people didn't rush to his defense. He basically demonstrated a lack of understanding for the role infrastructure, generational wealth, and systemic racism played in creating a class of black people that don't care about anything anymore other than making money and dominating those around them.

He's not asking WHY the parents have to work so hard that they can't be around their children to guide them. He's not asking WHY the school doesn't have teachers who can educate the children. He doesn't ask WHAT compells young people to join gangs. He essentially blames black peoples depression on black people themselves rather than the material conditions they've been forced to live with. He demonstrates a clear misunderstanding of survivorship bias while giving a textbook example of it in his speech.

To succeed financially in America, black people need access to job security. That means union jobs where a white boss can't just fire you because you got "uppity". They need Healthcare so their ADHD child can get Ritalin and sit down and study. Black people need access to loans so they can own their apartments instead of living paycheck to paycheck hoping they don't get sick and can't afford rent before getting booted out by a corporately owned building. Black people need protection from gentrification so those rents aren't going up. Black kids need access to well funded schools where the teachers can actually explain how the material being taught will result in job security and freedom. The gang represents protection from violence and the promise of FAST money with a direct connection between your labor and your pay. If you're a shooter in a gang, you hit the target and collect your money. There's an instant payout for completing your employer's goal. If you're a pusher, you get paid immediately from the transaction and pocket a percentage for yourself. The gang has structure, it has money, and it offers a sense of reputation and safety.

If someone who isn't affiliated knows you're part of a gang that took down local Latino gangs or chased out white supremacists gangs, they'll treat you differently. That is what parents are competing against. Unless someone has lived with the level of desperation and suicidal depression that being poor creates in a person, they look real foolish trying to tell others the reason they're miserable is their attitude as if they haven't tried to smile, shuck and jive and do all the things you're supposed to do to make people comfortable around them.

I agree with a lot, but the Gang part.

Most of these "Gangs" are broke as shyt.
Gangbanging alone, doesn't make any money.

"Slanging", Robbing, "Pimping", ETC.. is how some gangs make money.

"Shooters" in gangs usually ain't getting paid to shoot anybody.

Nine times out of Ten, it is a "Retaliatory" shooting.

Killing an "Op" or as they use to say a "Crosstown/Brosstown" is usually "Payment" enough.

Thick_Necc_Jenkins

TheColi's Favorite Artist
Daps
Reppin
Port City Louisiana Cooper Road
Let's keep it a buck..if Dr. FRANCIS CRESS WESLOMG gave this speech no one would say anything negative.

Poor people shouldn't have children. That's for starters. Yes it's mean, yes its raw, but it's real and truthful.

Alot of people who.are in poverty having children helps keep them poor and sets children up for failure, because their parents couldn't better themselves.

Yes, not every Black person can get an education to get a better life. But if you are poor why the fukk are you bringing children into your situation?

We get that white folks have fukked us over for over 400+ years...het we continue to do their work for them to ourselves. That's truthful too.

Again...if Dr. FRANCIS CRESS WESLING said this..no one would bat an eye.

Scustin Bieburr

Baby baybee baybee UUUGH
Daps
fam I promise you life in the western world isnt that difficult.

make decent decisions and youll be rewarded.

Dont have kids before youre ready,
focus on a skill,
avoid catching a felony

lock up people destroying your neighborhood
be kind to other people

thats all black folks need to do...
everything youre saying boils down to "the government needs to take care of us"
When you fund sex education in schools, you reduce risk of unplanned pregnancy.

When you have teachers who aren't expected to teach 40 kids with at least 10 of them suffering from undiagnosed ADHD you'll have kids who don't learn anything and teachers who can't unlock the child's potential.

When you don't have police officers who don't even live in the neighborhood or city trying to hit quotas so they grab any black person that "looks suspicious" and arrest him, you don't end up with as much people with criminal records.

Being kind to other people is easier when you're not dealing with people who've had the humanity savagely beaten out of them by impatient, unprepared parents who's only way of living with their children is to control them through fear. When black kids are raised by parents who punish them brutally for showing human emotions, guess what? That kid will turn into a demon that feels no fear or remorse and doesn't give even one quarter of a fukk about "disappointing the family".

And yes, the government SHOULD take care of people. Otherwise, give me my tax money back. I'm not fitting to sit here and give government my money so they can harass me with police instead of getting the fukking asbestos out of the buildings, hiring some teachers and making college and Healthcare more affordable and accessible. The fukk am I paying all this tax for? So senile ghouls in Washington can send it over to a country I don't give a shyt about?

How much tax money has been sent to Ukraine and Israel? How much tax money goes to nato? How much tax money goes to oil and Gas subsidies? How much tax money goes to politicians to fly to meetings where they talk about shyt that they have ZERO intention of actually fixing? If the government isn't taking care of me, dope. Give me my money back then and stop fukking taxing me if I'm expected to fix my own streets, get security that doesn't empty the whole mag because I made them "fear for their life", and if I'm expected to build and staff my own schools. Give the community its money back if you're not going to do anything with it.

RickyDiBiase

Daps
Reppin
Cbus
You having an issue with the messenger doesn't invalidate the message. Just because you don't approve of Dr. Cosby, you said that the old school principles and values that we were taught are "bullshyt and part of the problem".
You missed a positive message because you have negative views of the man.

Do not talk down to me like I'm a child.

I came from a background were men were the head of the household, who talked the talk and walked the goddman walk.
They weren't out here telling us what not to do and going around and doing people foul.
My main criticism with what you said is that you made it seem like a because a man isn't "excellent" which has not existed, nor has it ever existed; that they themselves are singular the reason for dysfunction in our community

27up-murder-chart1-1631984649635-superJumbo.png

Life existed before hip-hop and pants hanging off people's asses.

Scustin Bieburr

Baby baybee baybee UUUGH
Daps
I agree with a lot, but the Gang part.

Most of these "Gangs" are broke as shyt.
Gangbanging alone, doesn't make any money.

"Slanging", Robbing, "Pimping", ETC.. is how some gangs make money.

"Shooters" in gangs usually ain't getting paid to shoot anybody.

Nine times out of Ten, it is a "Retaliatory" shooting.

Killing an "Op" or as they use to say a "Crosstown/Brosstown" is usually "Payment" enough.
I get you, but let's also keep in mind that the retaliatory shooting is done to keep the gang's brand strong and keep competition out of the territory. If you're a shooter in the gang and you're good at what you do, you're getting paid at least more than you'd get if you had to stand behind a register and endure abuse from entitled customers who will literally attack.

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Like everything with Cosby its not a black or white, either or thing.

He sounds like the typical person his age. You cant tell me your parents, aunt/uncle, and/or grandparents didn't say similar shyt to you. And frankly you cant go wrong following what he said...dont commit crimes, take care if your kids, communicate clearly and effectively.

Now he is talking to people in a less than compassionate way. Thats how old people talk though. I took that as "Lets do better." moreso than "I am above you" and he used extremes to get peoples attention. I don't see how people can listen to and get super defensive over rappers promoting drug use and or sales, murdering black folk, and other wild shyt and then clutch their pearls about what Cosby is saying.

Him being a sexual predator doesnt change the truth in his message. It does open up room for someone to say "Well where were your parents when you were drugging chicks?" or "The hell were you doin with the unconscious woman in your hands?"