What are yall thoughts on Bill Cosby's Pound cake speech??

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
If you are old enough to remember how impactful Bill Cosby was as a comedian and philanthropist and television icon, I think you might have a different perspective about what he was trying to do.

40 years ago people didn't like the way he criticized other comedians and actors because he felt image or presentation mattered a lot. And those are fair things to debate.

I think that the backlash of that pound cake speech was more about anger over his delivery and it gave people an opportunity to escape the message he was trying to put forth. I think Cosby has been a complicated man but on the whole, he's done more good than bad. Or tried to.
exactly..man spent a large part of his life working towards better representation of black people in media...heart was in the right place but the delivery soured ppl on his point he wanted to get across..made him look old and out of touch with the youth..which frankly he prolly was by that point

Ski Mask

Friendzone: Collection 1
Daps
Reppin
Vegas
You want it humorous?

That's what i hate about this speech. This dude is telling people they need to be doing better and they are clapping like they agree with him but laughing like this is a damn def jam comedy session.

Your principal or dean isn't going to present it humorously to you when he says "you failed math".

The cops aren't going to present it humorously when they say "your kid was shot and killed".

The judge isnt going to present it humorously to you when he says "your sentence is 20 years."

Your god damn rent company/landlord/mortgage dealer isnt going to break it to you humorously when they say "you have to move" "your evicted" "we seized the house"

Your bill companies ain't gonna break it to you humorously when they say "your shyt is disconnected due to non payment."

Your boss isnt going to break it to you humorously when they say "as of today your employment is officially terminated."

I don't know if that's what you meant, but I've been pissed for 20 years that mfs were clapping and laughing like he was at the Apollo.
Has tough love speeches/approach ever worked on a group of people? I mean I seen this approach be tuned out for a decade. Maybe its time for those want to wake people up try another method.

Wildin

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Has tough love speeches/approach ever worked on a group of people?
I don't know. Maybe by the time tough love approach actually hits home, you're too grown for the shyt and it's too late.

Hearing a tough love speech after you already buried your teenage friend and been to jail for 10 years ain't gonna do you much good at 30.

Black Panther

Long Live The King
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
It's the reason black people didn't rush to his defense. He basically demonstrated a lack of understanding for the role infrastructure, generational wealth, and systemic racism played in creating a class of black people that don't care about anything anymore other than making money and dominating those around them.

He's not asking WHY the parents have to work so hard that they can't be around their children to guide them. He's not asking WHY the school doesn't have teachers who can educate the children. He doesn't ask WHAT compells young people to join gangs. He essentially blames black peoples depression on black people themselves rather than the material conditions they've been forced to live with. He demonstrates a clear misunderstanding of survivorship bias while giving a textbook example of it in his speech.

To succeed financially in America, black people need access to job security. That means union jobs where a white boss can't just fire you because you got "uppity". They need Healthcare so their ADHD child can get Ritalin and sit down and study. Black people need access to loans so they can own their apartments instead of living paycheck to paycheck hoping they don't get sick and can't afford rent before getting booted out by a corporately owned building. Black people need protection from gentrification so those rents aren't going up. Black kids need access to well funded schools where the teachers can actually explain how the material being taught will result in job security and freedom.
The gang represents protection from violence and the promise of FAST money with a direct connection between your labor and your pay. If you're a shooter in a gang, you hit the target and collect your money. There's an instant payout for completing your employer's goal. If you're a pusher, you get paid immediately from the transaction and pocket a percentage for yourself. The gang has structure, it has money, and it offers a sense of reputation and safety.

If someone who isn't affiliated knows you're part of a gang that took down local Latino gangs or chased out white supremacists gangs, they'll treat you differently. That is what parents are competing against. Unless someone has lived with the level of desperation and suicidal depression that being poor creates in a person, they look real foolish trying to tell others the reason they're miserable is their attitude as if they haven't tried to smile, shuck and jive and do all the things you're supposed to do to make people comfortable around them.

THIS. ALL OF THIS.

Especially the bolded.

Mac Ten

Class of 97 !!!
Daps
Reppin
B-More
Bill Cosby said this in house...

By that point, he was a OG in the game that donated his money to many black colleges so I can't say that he didn't put his money where his mouth was. He promoted positive images for black people and wanted better. I honestly think that Bill Cosby made his show because he didn't wanna see black folks as poor like on Good Times

However, he shouldn't have went on those other platforms like CNN and Fox News. That's a no-no.

CNN was the ones to take him down especially Don Lemon.

Harvey Superboy on YT been riding for Cosby since the beginning of the trial too

Mac Ten

Class of 97 !!!
Daps
Reppin
B-More
Black America needs tough love. I'm sorry. I need it. You need it. We all need it to get better.

True...

But u don't air out family business to the world. Cosby kinda screwed up doin that and that's why u didn't see many black folks defending him like that.

Mac Ten

Class of 97 !!!
Daps
Reppin
B-More
nikkas a fukkin rapist that’s why u never take someone serious when they act holier than thou 9/10 they got major skeletons in their closet

Bill Cosby didn't rape those chicks...

Most of em willingly went over there.

The fucc u think the man was gonna do when he invited you to the hotel?

Play some Buck Buck.

They knew what it was.

If Bill Cosby had kept his penis at home with his wife Camille, he wouldn't have been in any trouble.