What are yall thoughts on Bill Cosby's Pound cake speech??

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Also, @Trials&Tribulations91
. Where in the speech did he say "poor Blacks"?

Speech was calling out behavior and mentalities, not social classes.I think that the "poor people" term was a deflection headline written by the "leadership" he was calling out for being ineffective.

Gonna listen to it again to see if "poor Blacks" were mentioned in the speech, and will walk back my comment back if I hear it.

Last edited:

Wargames

One Of The Last Real Ones To Do It
Daps
Reppin
New York City
I read the Cosby deposition…. He’s a rapist. Like if you read it he says he thought she had fun when he drugged her and felt her t*ts and p*ssy up.

I say that to say this. Who the fukk is Cosby to judge anyone?

Justin Nitsuj

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
I lost hella respect for Bill Cosby after he criticized a black college student for not doing academically well in his college classes. And that same man went off feeling like he was a failure, and died feeling that same way too.

Here's the link to this story:

Dean Brown died back in 2012.

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
Those of us who were born in the 1900's (especially those of us who were born in the 70's, 80's, and early 90's) and had strong Black men in our lives have personally heard what Dr. Cosby said. Our fathers, uncles, pastors, coaches, mentors, etc. gave us that same guidance because they gave a damn about us.

The problem isn't what Dr. Cosby said, the problem is that he had to say it in the first place. If we truly are kings, queens, and gods, then we shouldn't be walking around with our pants hanging off of our asses, we shouldn't be calling each other n-words, we shouldn't take pride in speaking gibberish, we shouldn't want to portray negative stereotypes, and we shouldn't be killing each other over bullshyt.

We're better than that, and we can return to the standards of excellence that we once held. That's all Dr. Cosby said; the fact that that sentiment is so unpopular amongst some of us baffles me.

UpNext

Superstar
Daps
I agreed.
People in 2024 still saying it was "harsh".
That's the problem, y'all don't want to be judged.
Or held accountable.
Tough shyt.
No more assauging your feelings.
Being soft is why we're at where we're at.
Y'all said he was wrong.
But in 20 years, y'all haven't done nothing to prove him wrong.

The issue I have is Bill Cosby is one thing and I'm cool with what Bill Cosby said for the most part, but the dude you're quoting is the Mayor of his city. In 20 years if nothing has changed with people with his way of thinking in power will you evolve your stance or are we still gonna be riding with political leaders who want to assign blame to their constituents for their inability to lobby the resources necessary for change?

Last edited:

RickyDiBiase

The Sword of Jesus of Nazareth
Daps
Reppin
Cbus
Those of us who were born in the 1900's (especially those of us who were born in the 70's, 80's, and early 90's) and had strong Black men in our lives have personally heard what Dr. Cosby said. Our fathers, uncles, pastors, coaches, mentors, etc. gave us that same guidance because they gave a damn about us.

The problem isn't what Dr. Cosby said, the problem is that he had to say it in the first place. If we truly are kings, queens, and gods, then we shouldn't be walking around with our pants hanging off of our asses, we shouldn't be calling each other n-words, we shouldn't take pride in speaking gibberish, we shouldn't want to portray negative stereotypes, and we shouldn't be killing each other over bullshyt.

We're better than that, and we can return to the standards of excellence that we once held. That's all Dr. Cosby said; the fact that that sentiment is so unpopular amongst some of us baffles me.

I'm sorry, but this line of thinking is bullshyt and part of the problem.

invalid

Banned
Daps
I'm sorry, but this line of thinking is bullshyt and part of the problem.

This waving away of reality is also part of the problem.

So if you're part of the problem and I'm part of the problem, where do we go from here?

How do these ideological factions in the black community move forward?

Because at this point, no one is changing the others mind.

Scustin Bieburr

Baby baybee baybee UUUGH
Daps
It's the reason black people didn't rush to his defense. He basically demonstrated a lack of understanding for the role infrastructure, generational wealth, and systemic racism played in creating a class of black people that don't care about anything anymore other than making money and dominating those around them.

He's not asking WHY the parents have to work so hard that they can't be around their children to guide them. He's not asking WHY the school doesn't have teachers who can educate the children. He doesn't ask WHAT compells young people to join gangs. He essentially blames black peoples depression on black people themselves rather than the material conditions they've been forced to live with. He demonstrates a clear misunderstanding of survivorship bias while giving a textbook example of it in his speech.

To succeed financially in America, black people need access to job security. That means union jobs where a white boss can't just fire you because you got "uppity". They need Healthcare so their ADHD child can get Ritalin and sit down and study. Black people need access to loans so they can own their apartments instead of living paycheck to paycheck hoping they don't get sick and can't afford rent before getting booted out by a corporately owned building. Black people need protection from gentrification so those rents aren't going up. Black kids need access to well funded schools where the teachers can actually explain how the material being taught will result in job security and freedom. The gang represents protection from violence and the promise of FAST money with a direct connection between your labor and your pay. If you're a shooter in a gang, you hit the target and collect your money. There's an instant payout for completing your employer's goal. If you're a pusher, you get paid immediately from the transaction and pocket a percentage for yourself. The gang has structure, it has money, and it offers a sense of reputation and safety.

If someone who isn't affiliated knows you're part of a gang that took down local Latino gangs or chased out white supremacists gangs, they'll treat you differently. That is what parents are competing against. Unless someone has lived with the level of desperation and suicidal depression that being poor creates in a person, they look real foolish trying to tell others the reason they're miserable is their attitude as if they haven't tried to smile, shuck and jive and do all the things you're supposed to do to make people comfortable around them.