What are "Southern Values" when it comes to progressive policies?

ZoeGod

I’m from Brooklyn a place where stars are born.
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn,NY
Yeah, they probably would be. On top of the severe cutbacks on formal education, lack of respect for the less fortunate, and the lack of infrastructure. By the way a lot of posters are talking spicy against the progressive movement, they sound like they themselves would have SHOT Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. for starting the poor people's campaign.

Its clear as day that the wealthy people sold them lies, and claim that their money is worth more than helping their neighbor.

And this is why people don’t take progressives seriously. Y’all get very emotional, hyperbolic, talk in absolutes and talk crazy shyt. With this attitude you won’t win elections.

Last edited:

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
Truth is most people are cowards and don't want to rock the boat. Bernie also didn't do shyt to get the black vote. He went all in on racist rural cars and young people and it back fired. This back fired in 2016. He lost the same way twice, Bernie deserves the L.

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
You won’t get the answer here. The southern posters on here are not progressives. The rest of us aren’t from the South. You’re wasting your time and probably just sparking beef again. But in general, primaries slew older, and more affluent. Bernie was let down but young people not coming out. When Biden went basically 50-50 among young people in places like South Carolina, then it was clear the young black turnout operation failed. I don’t get why young Latinos turned out at higher rates than young black people but it happened. Voting is also sort of a cultural thing in minority communities - there was little discrepancy between older and younger Latino voters, Muslim voters, etc. In the end, Bernie wasn’t a new story this time and he needed to culturally connect most likely. Perhaps he should have put Sharpton and Jackson officially on his staff. He had a lot of young organizers who don’t have much clout.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Progressive policies polled pretty well in the exit polls. I think beating Trump overtook any policy ideals in the elections so far, in the South especially, convincing them that Bernie can beat Trump is definitely a tougher sell than Biden.

Loose

Retired Legend
Daps
Progressive policies polled pretty well in the exit polls. I think beating Trump overtook any policy ideals in the elections so far, in the South especially, convincing them that Bernie can beat Trump is definitely a tougher sell than Biden.
Pretty simple and obvious answer

BillBanneker

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
@Rhakim
@FAH1223
@Kenny West
@rapbeats
@wtfyomom
@ZoeGod
@Atlrocafella
@GodinDaFlesh

Why the severe opposition of the southern black vote and progressive policies like medicare 4 All, free college tuition, and unionized jobs with high wages for the working class? While claiming that it is "Christian" to demand low taxes and criminalizing the poor? :jbhmm:

Since the whole Joe Biden/name recognition thing in the primaries, it sounds contradictory towards me. What are these southern values, and why no one else on earth practice it to the extent that the American South does?

lol Southern black folks aren't really all that opposed to those things. I actually think they'll poll better or at least consistent with any other groups, although I will say college tuition and min wage increase would be less popular in my personal experience for whatever reason.

Older folks honestly have always been more risk adverse (going with the media safe, familiar pick) and with the threat of trump being re-elected it just reinforces that. Honestly the onus is on us younger folks to push things forward :yeshrug:

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
bloomberg's endorsements tell you all you need to know about machine politics. values have very little to do with it.
Facts. I'd be more inclined to make an empathetic take on this if the Bloomberg endorsement wave didnt happen.

Racist cacs having their foot on their neck so long giving folks Stockholm Syndrome and they bend over for power. My country family doesnt stretch much further than Virginia and the last I discussed politics with them folks they were expressing concern on how unfairly Trump was being treated in his impeachment. Though they didnt quite understand why he was bein impeached either.:francis: they would be fox news Republicans if not for the overt racism

Primetime21

This my city
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lemongrass, cherries, alkaline water
Nah I'm in the South, I'll tell you. Walking zombies. Two progressive candidates on the ballot with policies that Black people could benefit greatly from and they choose to rally behind Sleepy Joe, and what will they do to hold him accountable? You got it, nothing. Malcolm X had a quote but i'll leave it there :coffee:

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
I know this may come as a shock to Bernie and his supporters but DETAILS MATTER.

Southerners have a history of old northern white men coming into their towns making promises of big exciting things then shafting them.

So maybe asking Christian black people if everyone should get free healthcare they will definitely like that.

But guess what...how are you going to do it?

So maybe Bernie should have given them an answer that wasn’t bashing the people he would need to get it done? This makes them skeptical that the supposed coalition builder actually had the numbers.

Last edited:

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
Black people know white people better than they know themselves. A sanders ballot would be a loss in the end. A washed communist would give trump Reagan numbers, ones not the time to test a revolution with the stakes this high.
I tried telling my white Republican friend Dems don’t like Hillary that much and he wouldn’t believe me. The narrative from his conservative friends had him convinced beating her was sticking it to the libs.

I’m like dude, she loss to a freshmen Senator in the Dem primary.

DEAD7

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.
Blacks(As a community) have always been conservatives who vote dem because rethugs are racist.
Progressives fooled themselves into thinking our vote against racist rethugs was/would be support for their progressive agenda.
They are getting their wake up call, and i thought I’d be more amused, but its actually kinda sad watching all these class > race brothas cry over what’s happening.

That said, Pressure is right, this is just a vent thread.

LurkMoar

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Blacks(As a community) have always been conservatives who vote dem because rethugs are racist.
Progressives fooled themselves into thinking our vote against racist rethugs was/would be support for their progressive agenda.
They are getting their wake up call, and i thought I’d be more amused, but its actually kinda sad watching all these class > race brothas cry over what’s happening.

That said, Pressure is right, this is just a vent thread.

class warfare is a damn lie in America, there is a clear racial history of oppression and economic destruction.