What Are “European Beauty Standards”?

filial_piety

Banned
Daps
Reppin
I95S
ADOS BM's love for asses and thickness is why you have the thick trend now

prior to us, the idea of being thick was looked down upon by white media

and it was a way for companies and entites to limit the number of Black women and only get the ones that fit a certain type.
I'll go a step further and say it's the reason BW get any media attention at all when it comes to beauty. But no one credits BM for that...everyone is focused on how light or dark a woman is...while avoiding the fact that the common feature amongst all of them, regardless of complexion is the West African phenotype.

If BM did not openly and clearly state their love for "thick" women, BW would be completely absent from the media and basically invisible to the public.

White men had zero interest in putting thick women on the front covers of anything....the BM attraction to it is what made it so popular.

if it were left up to WM, Asian and hispanic men...the only BW that they would deem worthy of attention would be the Lena Hornes and the Dorthy Dandriges of the world.

filial_piety

Banned
Daps
Reppin
I95S
were really not going in reverse. its just that you have a loud group on the internet who try their best to highlight what they dont like and try their best to brainwash people that its true.

Like black women who continue to spread that BS that "black women were not in music videos during the late 00s" which is nonsense

but as the popular saying goes

“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it"

there is no satisfying the complainers, hell Yo Gotti had BW in his recent video, but because he didnt have the arbitrary quota these women would like. they now spread the lie that "Yo gotti had no BW in his video" and that hes colorist

Just lies
I feel like you found the Dead Sea Scolls by saying this shyt lol....this is so on point it aint even funny...and I say that as a bruh who spent his entire teenage years in the 90s...

thinking back on it, I can't even begin to tell you how this stereotype about rap vidoes being filled to the gills with non-black women was a lie...it's like we heard it so much, no one thought to even challenge it....it was just amplified and accepted without any analysis about it whatsoever.

Now there were alot of mixed, white and some asians in popular music videos back then--that much was true, but there were also BW in them of all hues....furthermore I once read somehwhere that the reason "exotic", white, asian and latin women were becoming more popular in them was because they were PURPOSELY put there to attract White, Asian and Hispanic men who were BIG consumers of Rap music....in otherwords, it had nothing to do with BM....the casting was specifically made that way to draw and BIGGER pool of non-black men into the consumer base...but let some tell it's because BM were "brainwashed" and "colorstruck"

Meanwhile, if you walked around on any given day in the 90s and early 00s...Bm were walking around with all types of BW, fat skinny, egg shaped, hour glass shaped etc etc.

Cadillac

Veteran
Daps
I feel like you found the Dead Sea Scolls by saying this shyt lol....this is so on point it aint even funny...and I say that as a bruh who spent his entire teenage years in the 90s...

thinking back on it, I can't even begin to tell you how this stereotype about rap vidoes being filled to the gills with non-black women was a lie...it's like we heard it so much, no one thought to even challenge it....it was just amplified and accepted without any analysis about it whatsoever.

Now there were alot of mixed, white and some asians in popular music videos back then--that much was true, but there were also BW in them of all hues....furthermore I once read somehwhere that the reason "exotic", white, asian and latin women were becoming more popular in them was because they were PURPOSELY put there to attract White, Asian and Hispanic men who were BIG consumers of Rap music....in otherwords, it had nothing to do with BM....the casting was specifically made that way to draw and BIGGER pool of non-black men into the consumer base...but let some tell it's because BM were "brainwashed" and "colorstruck"

Meanwhile, if you walked around on any given day in the 90s and early 00s...Bm were walking around with all types of BW, fat skinny, egg shaped, hour glass shaped etc etc.
I agree, i always believed these 2 reasons are why the way things are the way they are now

1. Obviously, rap is more mainstream so no shyt. Its gonna have a bit more nonblack women then

but another reason i believe is cause of Black women and their protesting during the 90s and early 00s against rap because of objectification

Female students spurn Nelly over explicit rap video

you had Black women against this "objectification" like in Tip Drill by Nelly^^^^. I remember my homies and i had a convo on this topic. And one of them told me Tip Drill is likely the tipping point. where you saw the increase of NonBlack women because of Black women being against this type of coverage on them

so you can argue, rappers and the industry choose the easiest solution to overcome this problem... Just get some nonblack women then if Black women don't want to do it.:yeshrug:

Granted, Black women are still the most objectified in rap. But with rap having some videos where they make the vixen crowd more diverse.

and even a few very few bunch of videos, where the majority of the Video vixen/model crowd is nonblack(tho they do have some black women in that bunch, but they are outnumbered by the sheer cumulative number of NonBlack women)

Women in general are getting objectified. Ironically tho, The same BW who sit and complain about the "increase" of nonblack women(despite the fact Black women are still in the majority of the vids as the Vixens) in vids have their predecssors to thank who boycotted rappers.

All in all, its a combination of all our answers plus more but i personally believe these two reasons^^^ is a huge reason why

Last edited:

Cadillac

Veteran
Daps
^^^^adding on to this

Black women like to take stuff like this, to mean and show that "black men are starting to prefer our features on nonblack women" <---- this is a dumb narrative that gets float around by bird brain broads

And it is WRONG

what is happening is, your getting what you wanted. Yall said

Black women: "stop objectifying us":damn:

Black men: "Ok":ehh:

*1-2 black rappers go on to hire a few White, Latino, and asian bytches to shake ass and be half naked Along with some of the black chicks they got,*

Black women: "Your being a colorist, You only like our features on other women. Why aren't there more black women in the video?:damn:"

Black men: "bytch:why:"

Thats literally what this whole "why arent there black women in the vids" nonsense is:bryan:

Last edited:

Cadillac

Veteran
Daps
I'll go a step further and say it's the reason BW get any media attention at all when it comes to beauty. But no one credits BM for that...everyone is focused on how light or dark a woman is...while avoiding the fact that the common feature amongst all of them, regardless of complexion is the West African phenotype.

If BM did not openly and clearly state their love for "thick" women, BW would be completely absent from the media and basically invisible to the public.

White men had zero interest in putting thick women on the front covers of anything....the BM attraction to it is what made it so popular.

if it were left up to WM, Asian and hispanic men...the only BW that they would deem worthy of attention would be the Lena Hornes and the Dorthy Dandriges of the world.
it really has more to do with features and body type than "west african phenotype" someone said it accurately, featurism is a factor and arguably more so than skin tone

So someone like Lupita with darkskin would get in. and you would have some other anomalies etc. shyt you had Grace Jones who blew up before the mainstream thick crave

Swahili P'Bitek

Absorbingpovertywithoutlimitations
Daps
Reppin
Mtaani
If you want to know European beauty standard, look at the models in any Ebony/Jet magazine from the 1950s-1970s. Stop making it complicated.

Despite it all, in my travels, I would say AAs have done the best to fight this. For all our still lingering issues, AA beauty supply stores almost the only ones in the Black world where skin lightening cream isn't the top product. I visited beauty supply stores for Black women in Europe and Africa as well as Asian stores in Asia and the skin lightening shyt is always in the front display

:scust:
That bleaching and skin lightening in Africa is over-played and has nothing to do with colorism in a lot of African countries, to tell you the truth, colorism is an internet thing. The women who do this choose to do so due to them preferring to do so after they consumed western media, not from any societal pressure from the men

I've seen pictures of older women up to the 40s and they all had short hair or afros, African men were not pressuring them to wear weaves. In the 90s they started doing it and most men I know are still against it because it is expensive and fake hair, so I don't think women have ever done it to please men when it's the exact opposite of what we want, they do it out of style. Same with bleaching. African men have always championed for African features in women, just as European men will champion for their women. Trying to blame men for this is wrong and avoiding the issue of them desiring the hair/skin tone of their European counterparts. In rural areas, a lot of women still keep their natural hair and have no problems finding suitors.

Sensitive Christian Grey

The Fisher King
Daps
Reppin
Welsh Hills
Not Dwayne Johnson since he hasn't been 'black' since they threw an afro on him in 2005 for the movie 'be cool'

Russell Wilson just look like a nikka with a perm. Shave that hair off and he just a slightly light skinned black man to most folks

He had mixed kids in that Skyscraper movie but yeah hard to see him as a black man

GreenGhxst

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
FBA hairline
That bleaching and skin lightening in Africa is over-played and has nothing to do with colorism in a lot of African countries, to tell you the truth, colorism is an internet thing. The women who do this choose to do so due to them preferring to do so after they consumed western media, not from any societal pressure from the men

I've seen pictures of older women up to the 40s and they all had short hair or afros, African men were not pressuring them to wear weaves. In the 90s they started doing it and most men I know are still against it because it is expensive and fake hair, so I don't think women have ever done it to please men when it's the exact opposite of what we want, they do it out of style. Same with bleaching. African men have always championed for African features in women, just as European men will champion for their women. Trying to blame men for this is wrong and avoiding the issue of them desiring the hair/skin tone of their European counterparts. In rural areas, a lot of women still keep their natural hair and have no problems finding suitors.

Colorism isn't just an internet thing

What in the world....

You can't be this ignorant

Swahili P'Bitek

Absorbingpovertywithoutlimitations
Daps
Reppin
Mtaani

What in the world....

You used African countries to extend the argument that African women bleach because of colorism and enforced european beauty standards, when this is not the case. If you ask African women who bleach why they do so, the answer you"ll receive is that they do it because of male attraction to light skin blablabla, whereas this is not the case for the average man, a beautiful woman is beautiful regardless, and light skinned people existed since time immemorial. In most of these societies, colorism is a personal preference and does not extend to economic opportunities etc. Nepotism, sexism, tribalism and cronyism cover those angles, colorism only becomes a problem when a man who is well desired prefers lightskin women, but not when a local no-name youth is chasing down nothing but dark-skinned women.

CopiousX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Folks don’t like having serious conversations about topics like this that’s asking to dive deep into the psyche of the Afro mind. Because everybody is perfect and don’t have insecurities.

European standards of beauty would apply to women because men don’t care about shyt like that. Asian women go through it too, not just black.
It also helps that as a black man, the only thing I was ever told about euro standards was that “tall, dark, and handsome” was all you needed. I got 2 of those down by default and I often have the 3rd depending on which room I’m standing in:yeshrug:

However @gator_king , I will admit that long-haired-gang faces the same problems that black women face in business settings. Afro(s), braids, locs(s) defy euro standards because whites must literally be filthy in order to get the same traits on their bodies. But I’m generally clean cut, so this one never bothers me.:whew:

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359

I agree with you. To be clear, I often believe most colorism is internalized and based off feelings of self-worth. No I don't think African or Caribbean men pressure the women to do this but the women are succumbing to some pressure unfortunately.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
were really not going in reverse. its just that you have a loud group on the internet who try their best to highlight what they dont like and try their best to brainwash people that its true.

Like black women who continue to spread that BS that "black women were not in music videos during the late 00s" which is nonsense

but as the popular saying goes

“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it"

there is no satisfying the complainers, hell Yo Gotti had BW in his recent video, but because he didnt have the arbitrary quota these women would like. they now spread the lie that "Yo gotti had no BW in his video" and that hes colorist

Just lies

For what it's worth, I agree that the rap video exotic chick argument is overblown and BM date/marry BW at higher rates than any other minority group as far as dating within our race. As far as exposure in the media, which we have to admit many BM and BW internalize, I do think there is some slippage.

And what you mean who is responsible for holding up this standard.. WHITE PEOPLE!!!! They own every fukking thing. Every single day is a constant bombardment of "white is pretty, lighter is better, skinnier is better, blue and green and hazel eyes are exotic, long flowy hair is the best, here's 150 beauty tips and 149 are for white women, barely any dark skin people modeling or acting, etc etc etc etc etc"

This kinda hits it on the head. I don't think BM enforce exotic beauty standards. But those standards are being promulgated and affect BM and BW to some extent. I personally think the dating and marriage habits of Gen Z will be revealing. That is my concern more so than any of us 25+ people.

My feeling is just we shouldn't be fighting this fight about self-hatred and beauty standards in the 2020. We had the conscious 60s and 90s, but here we are still debating this stuff. Granted, I would say Black people are much better than other groups like in Asia, India, or the Middle East where that light skinned stuff is still official dogma.

philmonroe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 215

What in the world....

Nah its an Internet thing you clown ass nikkas don't see IRL unless you're broke as fukk and roll with losers. Either way you're not speaking on reality for the vast majority just another lame getting online kicking bullshyt lies for daps and hopefully sniff a chick panties by being an agreeable sucker.